Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Wareaglescott's Coyote build thread - INDEX ADDED TO POST #1

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the after. Looks much cleaner:

Scott -

I can't tell you how appreciative I am that you posted this seemingly 'minor' lower rad pipe mount tweak. It's been bothering me ever since I discovered where that metallic rattle sound was coming from while under throttle. My solution was to wrap the pipe with rubber as you did but this solution is way cleaner. Thank you!

Also, the artist's rendition of your roadster is spectacular. Bravo!

RickP

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Rick. Also that credit goes to Straversi. I stole it from his great idea!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic paint protection feedback

A couple months ago I asked about ceramic paint protection products. Got some feed back but not a ton as this is a relatively new concept and has advanced quite rapidly in the last few years. Similar name to ceramic coating of metal pieces but a completely different topic. I went ahead and had it applied to the Cobra and thought I would provide some feedback.

Here is the product I used if you want to read about it. The science is a little beyond me so a basic description is it is a long lasting super protectant that is best to have professionally applied.
    https://opticoat.com/

It was not cheap. I paid $400 for a paint correction process to remove any swirls or imperfections and then an additional $800 for the opti coat application. The detailer I used does a lot of high end cars and this is his product of choice. There are certainly others on the market. They have a couple different products. The one I got has a 5 year guarantee. Based on the fact that my car never sits out or is driven in weather and is always garaged he basically told me to expect it to last forever. I asked why the 5 year statement then and he said the manufacturer just says that to limit their liability.

I have been very impressed with the results. It took the shine to the next level and has stayed that way. I have about 400 miles on the car since the application. Probably 15 or so 30 minute drives. My routine used to be to detail the car almost every time I drove it right after pulling in the garage. With the ceramic coating it is almost like nothing sticks to the car. (that is part of the science part I don't understand). I get out looking to clean the car and there is simply nothing to clean off. The minimal things I do see just wipe away so easily. I think long term I will be very pleased with the coating.

Do want to point out that while this is a good paint protectant and keeps the car looking great and easy to clean it does nothing to protect against rock chips. I still have the clear vinyl protecting the front of the rear wheel arches and front of the car. You can apply the coating overt the clear film if you desire.

Here is a picture after the application. No editing of the photo. That is how shiny it looks now.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    I've read your thread a few times and always go back to the first paragraph in the first post. The fact that you have never done anything like this before is amazing! Your car looks incredible bro! Can't wait to be in the club!
    Higgy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HiggyMK4#???? View Post
    I've read your thread a few times and always go back to the first paragraph in the first post. The fact that you have never done anything like this before is amazing! Your car looks incredible bro! Can't wait to be in the club!
    Higgy
    Thank you.
    That is the amazing part about this forum. I had significant help from so many people here. Cant imagine building these things before the forum was around!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey we,re all different. I discovered the forum after my build was completed. Didn't have or make time for forums and build blogs. To busy building a dream cat. Then again, Facebook aint my thing either. Hats off to you guys who are computer savy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truthbetold18 View Post
    Hey we,re all different. I discovered the forum after my build was completed. Didn't have or make time for forums and build blogs. To busy building a dream cat. Then again, Facebook aint my thing either. Hats off to you guys who are computer savy.
    Any pictures of the cat? Didn't know you could build those

Post Thanks / Like

garage mate

This isn't really Cobra related but since completing the build my "build thread" seems to have involved into my Cobra blog so I will throw this one in because I have made mention of it a few times. Got a new garage mate for the Cobra today. Been dreaming of owning a 911 since I was a teenager. Ordered it from the factory Sept 6 and picked it up today. Really enjoying it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking stable there. Both look great.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hubba Hubba! Now that's a sexy shop!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Scott! I've always been a big 911 fan

Get back to us with your impressions after driving it daily for a while.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott-

Nice add brother! That's a really sexy 911. I too have admired them for as long as I can remember! Nice color choice inside and out.

+1 on what Jeff said above; would love to hear what you think after logging some miles.

Congratulations on the stable mate!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple more pics because I enjoy photos so much. Gotta get both my babies in there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait to hear what the wife has in mind for her next purchase. Hold on to your wallet, brother!
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like

therpmstandard.com

The guys at THERPMSTANDARD.COM came down and did a profile on the Cobra. We had been talking about it for a bit and it just happened my new car showed up the week they were coming so they included that as well. Nice guys trying to get their car site up and running. Please check out the article and watch the youtube.

Article link:
    https://www.therpmstandard.com/fast-...powered-cobra/

Youtube link:
    https://youtu.be/55DJAEJ42gw

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very nice write up Scott. Just have to decide which you want to drive on any given day as they are both comparable in power. Favorite? I’m going to Bob Bondurant racing school in Oct.. Be great to have a fellow forum member there to learn the basics of high performance driving and maybe a license to go have fun on a track some day. Been out and about and these are fun cars. Have about 900 miles on now.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR20AC View Post
    Very nice write up Scott. Just have to decide which you want to drive on any given day as they are both comparable in power. Favorite? I’m going to Bob Bondurant racing school in Oct.. Be great to have a fellow forum member there to learn the basics of high performance driving and maybe a license to go have fun on a track some day. Been out and about and these are fun cars. Have about 900 miles on now.
    Porsche is the practical favorite. I can drive it to the airport and leave it for a few days. Cobra is my favorite for local rides
    Have fun at the race school.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Nice....Being an old Fart...what my wife calls me....I have a passion for older porsche's. I currently have an '85 Targa, and a first year Boxster. I recently restored the Boxster and am planning on restoring the 85 later this year.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris @ Forma View Post
    Very Nice....Being an old Fart...what my wife calls me....I have a passion for older porsche's. I currently have an '85 Targa, and a first year Boxster. I recently restored the Boxster and am planning on restoring the 85 later this year.

Chris
    Very cool. I have actually wanted a Porsche way longer than anything else. Am so pleased to finally have one. Would love to check out that 85 Targa if you could message me some pics or put them on the Forma cars instagram!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Scott,

I've spent a lot of the past 4 days reading this thread during breaks before work, lunchtime, after work, in meetings... (don't tell my boss!). This is an awesome build in terms of detail, quality, and component selection.

I have been on the forum for over a year with the full intention of building a FFR 818. I even have the donor sitting in my driveway for the past year. My original plan was to build the 818 first and then after having that experience build the Cobra. The Cobra has been a dream of mine for over 40 years. I even saw an original 289 Cobra sell for $43k CDN at an auction in 1982, but I was too poor to even consider it. After reading all the difficulties the 818 builders are having with bodywork and windows in the coupe, I'm thinking that the Cobra might be easier and more satisfying -- although more costly. To investigate the build issues on the Cobra, I started to look at some build threads. This is where I found your thread.

Thanks to the details you shared, I have a much clearer view and will discuss my change in path with my CFO (aka wife). This may take a year or two to get the money approved, since we just bought a Porsche Macan (love it!!) which emptied the bank savings a bit.

I understand your love for Cobras and Porsches and firmly believe there's a place for both in one's garage.

FYI, I also got ceramic paint coating on my Porsche. I used Modesta, which is superb and very easy to clean for a daily driver.

Thanks for sharing your journey!

Russ
    Last edited by CdnCarNut; 03-29-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today marks the 1 year anniversary of getting the car registered and road legal.

Currently sitting at 4900 miles. Planning on the next oil change at 5000 miles and will give it a pretty thorough once over and service all the grease fittings.
    Really no new issues at all. Love the ease and reliability of the coyote. Starts and goes every time without fail. I have definitely achieved my initial goal of a reliable driver. In fact when I built the car I thought I would be spending a lot more time working on and maintaining it. That has not been the case at all. Currently looking for my next project car so I have something to work on.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Scott,

I'm thinking you need to go down the Daytona Path when you do you next build or maybe go old school and build the 33 or possibly the truck.
    Hummm, maybe I'll send you the Go-Dad-Go MK-4 since I'm stuck in a rut and can't find the time to work on it. Hummm?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    ...Currently looking for my next project car so I have something to work on...
    Allow me to make a suggestion; a Modified class autocross car. You're guaranteed to always have something to work on---there is a great amount of truth to the well known statement "There are two types of Mod cars; ones that are broken and ones that are about to break"

Congrats on the milestone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Should have been more specific I guess. haha
    My next project is a classic 911. Currently looking for one of those. Looking at a 79 this weekend in Pennsylvania that looks promising.

Post Thanks / Like
    My next project is a classic 911. Looking at a 79 this weekend in Pennsylvania that looks promising.
    Now you're talking! Those Singers!! And this guy https://petrolicious.com/films/kaege...han-a-restomod
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Bought the 79 911 this past weekend. It is getting delivered tomorrow.
    I will be doing a build thread on it over on Pelican. I will post a link when I get it started.

The car is in very nice driver condition. Gonna just drive it around this summer and determine what exactly I want to do.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Scott. Saw your post and picture of the new ride on Instagram. Looks like a cool project. Won't be able to offer much help this time around. Have fun with it.

Now the biggest challenge of the day will be which one to drive.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Hey Scott. Saw your post and picture of the new ride on Instagram. Looks like a cool project. Won't be able to offer much help this time around. Have fun with it.

Now the biggest challenge of the day will be which one to drive.
    All I can say is Lord help me find the equivalent of Paul on the Pelican forum! haha
    Obviously the help you provided me was priceless. Not sure how I would have built this thing without your input.

In Cobra related news I am stuck at 4900 miles do to rain every day I have been home the last couple weeks. As soon as I hit 5000 I will be giving it a pretty thorough once over, lube job and oil change.
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 05-25-2018 at 07:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott-

Love the new project; congratulations!! I look forward to the link so I can live vicariously through you!

You are going to need a bigger garage, or have you already sorted that out?

Going restomod, or just a nice updating? Sorry if I missed that detail! I am sure you have seen the work that Singer does. Insane builds, with equally insane budgets I presume!

Good luck with the new project, and I can't wait to follow along with your progress! All the best!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Scott-

Love the new project; congratulations!! I look forward to the link so I can live vicariously through you!

You are going to need a bigger garage, or have you already sorted that out?

Going restomod, or just a nice updating? Sorry if I missed that detail! I am sure you have seen the work that Singer does. Insane builds, with equally insane budgets I presume!

Good luck with the new project, and I can't wait to follow along with your progress! All the best!

Regards,

Steve
    Thanks Steve. I have a second garage that is my workshop. I am definitely at capacity now. My wife told me past night when I mentioned another car that she "was in permanent eye rolling mode". Probably ought not to push my luck. I got her car back in the main garage this morning.
    Still developing exactly what I want to do. Going to drive it as is for the summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still developing exactly what I want to do. Going to drive it as is for the summer.
    I think this is a very wise approach. I am sure you are aware, however, the driving experience with those classic 911's is unique. Yes, you could put coil overs on and stiffen up this or that and be a bit faster. In the end though, you don't end up with that same balance or same unique feel of the classic 911. If it were me, I would restore it and enjoy it but not modify it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott-

I like the second garage. My hope is that my next place -- which I hope will be soon -- will have a garage used as a garage, them a garage/workshop where I can spend my time. I think my wife would actually go along with the second garage, which is awesome!

I like the plan to get the feel of the car before making any resto plans. Makes a lot of sense. I look forward to watching with whatever you decide to do!

I am still completely jealous brother!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

5000 mile update and FFR tour

Hit 5000 miles the other day. Took about 12.5 months since getting registered. I am pleased with the amount I have been able to drive it. I have never had the car at the limit but my smile has been at the limit for each of those 5000 miles.
    I changed the oil and lubed the chassis as well as checked out about every other thing I could think of on the car. Honestly I do not expect in future years to put that many miles on it. I wanted to get on an annual maintenance schedule of doing everything each May before it gets to hot in the garage. Moving forward I plan to do a complete service annually.

A few impressions after 1 year of driving. Please recall this is my first ever build/major automotive project and I definitely had plenty of rookie mistakes and learning lessons along the way.

- I am extremely impressed with the quality of the Factory Five product. I thought going into this project I would continuously have some sort of project to perform on this car. That is simply not the case. The car has been trouble free since the initial shakedown miles and adjustments within the first 300-500 miles.

- same goes for the drivetrain. Coyote just goes every time and I am very pleased with the TKO-600 and IRS. I am so pleased with the Coyote decision and the ease of operation and reliability. Maybe a little bit more of a challenge during the build but that extra work is paying dividends now.

- only real complaint was the noise from the FFR side pipes. Pretty thoroughly documented the change to flow masters earlier. If I were building again that is really the only change I would make from the start.

- I did have the opportunity to drive forum member Duke's MK4 yesterday. He has a Coyote/ IRS/ T-56 6 speed setup. Now I am satisfied with my TKO but actually think the T-56 made the car more enjoyable. Seen the 6 speed vs 5 speed debate come up a few times. I always assumed the 5 speed was plenty good enough and still do but having the opportunity to drive the 6 speed it was quite nice. If anyone reading this is considering both options give that 6 speed a hard look. I will say from a power band, gearing, cruising RPM stand point I did not notice a huge difference. My main enjoyment was just how it shifted and felt.

As I mentioned I had the opportunity to drive Duke's car yesterday. I was in Boston and visited him and we went down and toured FFR together. My first visit to FFR and I loved it. Was great to meet all the people I have spoken to on the phone many times and see the entire operation. Dave Smith showed Duke and I around personally for about 45 minutes and then took us and some of the other guys out to lunch. It was great seeing all the projects in process. Dave showed us some computer models of the next project coming out and has plans to possibly unveil it June 30. Looks pretty cool and I will leave more information on that for Dave to expose. They had a full race caged truck they are building for Joey Lagano in the shop. Had a pretty impressive motor sitting it in. Should be pretty amazing. Also were building another truck with a supercharged Coyote sitting in it. They fired that up while we were there. All in all it was a really neat experience. I finally was able to sit in a Gen 3 Coupe as well as the Race version that appeared on Fast and Loud TV show. Really liked the Gen 3 coupe. That could certainly be on my list after I finish the 911 in a couple years!

Another shout out to the awesome Factory Five builder community. I met Duke through the forum but never actually in person. We also share interest in Porsche. He was gracious enough to have me stay at his home in Boston and let me drive both his Cobra and his Race spec somehow street legal 911 Turbo. I really enjoy the friendships I have developed through this project and look forward to more opportunities to actually meet some of the people I converse with online and via text regularly. Pretty cool hobby we have all got ourselves in!

A few pictures:

Post Thanks / Like

Update

Have not updated in a while.
    Currently at 5600 miles on the Cobra. It continues to run great and no problems with the Coyote. Love the reliability, power and user friendliness.

I have had two small issues lately.
    1. My side pipes end up drooping down over time and end up quite low. I really am not loving the header to j-pipe to sidepipe setup. Had I to do it over again I certainly would not elect to use the J-pipes. Even with my additional support at the front I previously documented the pipes seem to rotate down a bit at the ball cup end of the J-pipe where it meets the sidepipe. It is an easy 5 minute fix per side to loosen the two bolts, realign and retighten. Not a huge deal but I thought worth mentioning.

2. Whitby painted my car and attached the hood scoop. Never paid much attention to the nuts and bolts they used or gave it much thought. Lifted the hood recently and noticed one of the nuts had disappeared. Checked all the other and had quite a few that were lose. Applied some thread locker to them all and should be good to go now. That was an item I added to my yearly maintenance list.

Another item of interest concerning my shifter that I have documented about in the build being from my dads Air Force Jet. I knew that came out of his plane sometime in 67 or 68. I had reason to be looking through his flight logbooks the other day and came across the flight that had the maintenance issue with the stick that caused it to be removed. That was May 12, 1968 at Hill AFB in Utah. Glad he kept such great logs and now I can add that to the story of knowing exactly when it came out. He was actually on a cross country flight from California on his way to see my mom in Colorado and had to land short in Utah. My mom told me she remembered he never made it to see her that trip and she knew it was because the control stick issue. That helped me track down the exact flight. The stick always gets noticed when people ask about the car so I will enjoy having that piece of info. Pretty cool it has been out of the jet for over 50 years and is still finding a use. Also the sunglasses I use to drive the car with are his old Air Force sunglasses which are also over 50 years old.

I have previously mentioned my 911 project. Starting to get more serious with that after driving it around the last few months and doing some small projects. I had the same artist that drew up my concept drawing for the Cobra do one for the 911. You will recognize a similar color scheme. If there is any interest here is a link to that build thread. Plan to really start tearing it apart next month and updating that thread regularly.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ld-thread.html

Post Thanks / Like
    ...I have previously mentioned my 911 project. Starting to get more serious with that after driving it around the last few months and doing some small projects. I had the same artist that drew up my concept drawing for the Cobra do one for the 911. You will recognize a similar color scheme. If there is any interest here is a link to that build thread. Plan to really start tearing it apart next month and updating that thread regularly.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ld-thread.html

Sure, it's a great color scheme so why not! I'm afraid that some of the Porsche purists will turn up their noses though (Heck, the vintage Corvette crowd would have already tarred and feathered you just on the basis of the rendering alone!)

I'm going to bookmark your build link and follow along.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya Jeff there is a split group over on the Porsche forum. Lots of traditionalists and lots of guys like me that like to modify. To each his own is what I say.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it looks great Scott!!
    Build#1: MKIV Roadster #9320

Post Thanks / Like
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Join Date:Apr 2016Location:Auburn, ALPosts:1,750Post Thanks / Like

Update

Have not updated in a while.
    Currently at 5600 miles on the Cobra. It continues to run great and no problems with the Coyote. Love the reliability, power and user friendliness.

I have had two small issues lately.
    1. My side pipes end up drooping down over time and end up quite low. I really am not loving the header to j-pipe to sidepipe setup. Had I to do it over again I certainly would not elect to use the J-pipes. Even with my additional support at the front I previously documented the pipes seem to rotate down a bit at the ball cup end of the J-pipe where it meets the sidepipe. It is an easy 5 minute fix per side to loosen the two bolts, realign and retighten. Not a huge deal but I thought worth mentioning

I changed from J-pipe to the Stainless Headers shortly after they became available. Main reason was the incredibly poor flow characteristics and restrictions caused be the J-pipes. IMG_0242.JPG This was causing me to loose sleep at night. They are now offered direct from FFR. Treat yourself to an early Christmas present.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't seen any dyno results between J-pipes and the full flow Stainless headers but do have some seat of pants experience. J-pipes are very restrictive. I too recommend the Stainless headers.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast