Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Action's MK4 Coyote - build thread - PNW

Post Thanks / Like

Action's MK4 Coyote - build thread - PNW

Hey all! Just recently moved from San Francisco up to the Seattle area where a 2car garage is more affordable.
    Made a purchase of a MK4 kit and its estimated time of arrival will be mid march. Super excited for it!
    Going to start building a body buck soon and getting all of the required tools in order, and figured I might as well start a build thread for it. My plan is to stream most of the work done on the car live on twitch.tv , as its close to my line of work, so that aught to be interesting.
    Any other MK4 builders up in my area?

LIVE

Stream at https://www.twitch.tv/actionba5tard
    Current status: Got through 4 or so boxes. lots of confusion, stream tomorrow (thurs) 6pm PST

1) Tools arived, Toolbox broken, crappy shipping update
    2) Kit arrives!!!
    3) Streaming computer built and set up in garage, DD needs a headgasket
    4) The 0 progress update. DD Dead
    5) Still grounded and unable to build, at least I got frame dolly finished?
    Frame Dolly plans used: http://cobra.chrisarella.com/chassis-dolly/
    Last edited by ActionBa5tard; 05-13-2019 at 12:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the craziness.... Lots of great information to be had here. Enjoy the build... then the ride!!!

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool watching it live! Look forward to it and welcome to the forum!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! Super excited and i cant stop reading build threads. Hopefully I can find some friends in the area that will help me unload the delivery truck. Don't know too many people in my area yet though

Post Thanks / Like
    There are several Mk 4 builders in the area, including me. You're welcome to swing by the garage and check out my build if you want. If I'm available, happy to help on unload day. It'll be fun to watch you lose your mind with excitement! Whereabouts in the Seattle area?

Are you having Stewart deliver? If so, delivery is pretty much painless. The driver hoisted the chassis/body onto a rolling dolly and helped roll it down our side street, up our gravel driveway, and into the garage. Then he helped lift it up so I could prop it on jack stands.

My 16 year-old son and I then loaded all the boxes into our van to ferry down the side street and into the garage. Each box isn't terribly large or heavy, there are just a lot of them. Took 2 trips with the minivan, but we didn't spend a lot of time packing to fit everything in - might have only taken 1 trip with careful packing.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Id love to check out your build sometime! Sent you a pm.

I picked up a bunch of tools today to start on body buck and frame dolly. Gotta find a good place to get locking casters in the area, ACE had some pretty weak ones that wont hold much weight...

I am having Stewart deliver. Ill have to pick up a hand truck so i can move boxes fast and not take up too much of the delivery guys time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionBa5tard View Post
    Id love to check out your build sometime! Sent you a pm.

I picked up a bunch of tools today to start on body buck and frame dolly. Gotta find a good place to get locking casters in the area, ACE had some pretty weak ones that wont hold much weight...

I am having Stewart deliver. Ill have to pick up a hand truck so i can move boxes fast and not take up too much of the delivery guys time.
    Check out Northern Tool. Or if you have a Tractor Supply in your area, they are good for Casters as well. Expect to spend about $80-100. I ordered mine online at Northern Tool

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome To The Family Action Jackson!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Check out Northern Tool. Or if you have a Tractor Supply in your area, they are good for Casters as well. Expect to spend about $80-100. I ordered mine online at Northern Tool

Well, no northern tool but we have Tractor Supply! Ill go check them out today!

Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Welcome To The Family Action Jackson!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a Harbor Freight nearby? Hard to beat their prices on casters and I've found the quality adequate.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    gonna need 8, 4 for frame dolly, 4 for body buck. which do you recommend I put nicer ones on? Assuming frame dolly..

Post Thanks / Like
    gonna need 8, 4 for frame dolly, 4 for body buck. which do you recommend I put nicer ones on? Assuming frame dolly..
    The ones for the body buck can be much smaller... In fact, if you get one of the $10 small furniture dollies from Harbor Freight, the casters on it is just fine... and cheaper to buy them like that rather than individually.

CLICK HERE are the ones I got for the chassis dolly...

IMG_1293.jpg
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 02-17-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    saw those in your thread, unfortunately they are back ordered and will take quite a bit to arrive. No luck in harbor freight, all their locking ones are rated at 100lbs or less. Picked up a few extra tools and kneepads and stuff while I was there though..
    Gonna give tractor supply co a run tomorrow, guy at harbor freight recommended McLendon hardware too, so Ill give that a shot as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    These, from harbor freight, come in pretty handy

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...ies-67338.html

They go on sale every couple of months
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    These, from harbor freight, come in pretty handy

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...ies-67338.html

They go on sale every couple of months
    I used the same Harbor Freight furniture dollies for moving my roller around... Each one is rated at 1000lbs so combined, they had no problem and at half the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Managed to snag some at Tractor Supply Co. Glad I checked online, because McLendon wanted twice as much for similar hardware.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness. I’m down in Tacoma just finished my build. There are quite a few builds in the area. Let me know if you need any help or advice on spending your money. I’m interested in what your plans are on the build.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Suppose I probably should have typed that in the initial post! getting a Coyote crate engine, havent decided on transmission yet however. Havent decided on wheel size either, so ive waited to order both of these. Independent rear suspension, power steering, wilwood brakes front and rear.
    Finalized order with FF today, as well as contacted Stewart about my kit completion date, and ordered a ........ ton of tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chaos. ive been ordering bits and pieces, still kinda getting settled into my new place up here.... Placed an order for some goodies and they arrived
    Ordered engine hoist, quick jack, jack stands, and a nice huge tool cabinet, and probably most of the tools ill ever need in my life. heres some pics

Im happy except... well..............

the workbench got delivered with no keys, im sure they fell out of the crate.
    after calling husky to order some new ones, and waiting a week, i got them this week and.... none of the locks work

https://imgur.com/gallery/BwT9Crm

I contacted husky support again, and apparently they couldnt get ahold of customer support.. i thought i was talking to them.
    Not sure whats gonna happen to this. its a mess.

Also incredibly frustrated, as march 2nd was my finish date for the kit, holy crap. My wells fargo branch was completely incompetent and couldn't send a wire transfer, it got bounced, and I had to go in again, and it got sent in late. super sorry to the FF team for that one, but I also never heard from either FF or Stewart that my kit had been picked up, and its been radio silence. I called them today and heard 'YEAH ITS ALMOST THERE'.. ok, he failed to call me and give me any kind of alert that its supposed to arrive on Thursday this week. glad I called. Didn't receive any info from factory five that it had actually been picked up either? is this normal? wtf?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ActionBa5tard; 03-14-2019 at 12:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...but I also never heard from either FF or Stewart that my kit had been picked up, and its been radio silence. I called them today and heard 'YEAH ITS ALMOST THERE'.. ok, he failed to call me and give me any kind of alert that its supposed to arrive on Thursday this week. glad I called. Didn't receive any info from factory five that it had actually been picked up either? is this normal? wtf?
    Once your kit is complete and on the rack ready to ship, and Stewart is designated as the carrier, it's between you and Stewart. Factory Five isn't going to contact you with updates. If Stewart isn't contacting you, you need to contact them. The delivery contract is between you and Stewart. Factory Five is out at that point. I've only done one Stewart delivery, and it went pretty OK. The driver kept in good contact with me. So I knew when he picked it up, when he was planning to be at my place, etc. But I've also heard about multiple challenges with them. Too bad, because that reflects badly on Factory Five even though they are separate companies.

For your tool cabinet, anyone suggested calling a locksmith? Those things aren't exactly Fort Knox and would be easy to open. Husky is Home Depot, right? Seems they should be involved and help to resolve.

Good luck with your delivery and start of your build. It's a great experience but you will have challenges ahead. It's the nature of it. Expect it and be ready to deal with it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't say that is normal communications with Stewart. But its not a big deal, don't let that get to you. I see you are planning a Coyote I just finish up mine and if you need any advice or labor I would be clad to cruise up north sometime to help out. It would be a good excuse for a long cruise. Did you ever decide on what transmission you are going with?

IMG_0367.jpg
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on it almost being here. Did I miss where you said you lived? I'm in Marysville
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by q4stix View Post
    Congrats on it almost being here. Did I miss where you said you lived? I'm in Marysville
    Factoria area!

Gorgeous set up Paul! you will have to come visit for sure.
    After doing some research online, im likely to go with the T-56

Post Thanks / Like
    It showed up this morning! The driver was ahead of schedule and it pulled up at like 9am.

He had a plane in there!!

Obligatory shot of me holding the body. Damn it makes me look short, that truck is just massive!

All settled in the garage
    Last edited by ActionBa5tard; 03-14-2019 at 12:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations.... The fun really begins....

Post Thanks / Like
    You probably got over the trivial little things when the truck showed up, eh?! Good luck with the build!
    Higgy
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

Post Thanks / Like
    Home depot is replacing the workbench thankfully. Wish it was dealt with a little more timely but it is what it is,

I'm going to be building a streaming computer for the garage, mounting my monitor and getting it all set up tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the streaming machine set up in the garage

Built the computer live on twitch, vod available here, but its probably not that entertaining or interesting
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/396719791

I have a mirrorless DSLR on the way and I can start streaming at least the inventory.
    The plan is to go through the boxes and move them to my living room so that half of the garage can be freed up, as my DD (89 bmw 325is) needs a new headgasket. so I have to pull the head, do valve seals and get it skimmed which might take a few days where my garage is going to be full.

After that job is complete ill rent a uhaul and grab the lumber needed for the body buck and frame dolly

New (replacement) tool cabinet is being delivered this Thursday so it will be nice to have all my tools at hand rather than in bags!

Post Thanks / Like
    Did a stream of inventory today, first time using this setup so its pretty scuffed. but it was fun! link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/398697048
    Lots of confusion on which part is which but part of the fun is figuring that out. Im only missing a few bits and pieces so far but i only managed to get through 4 boxes as i had to work late today.
    Hope to get a bunch more done tomorrow, and finish on Friday so I can work on my E30 this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    What are these bits?

Im assuming the large container is coolant overflow, smaller is brake res.

The other pieces are likely pedalbox top support, pedalbox mount, pedalbox rear mount, but the rest? nothing else on my sheet to check off..

Post Thanks / Like
    Small mushroom shaped pieces (2) go with the pedal box. You are correct on the others.
    MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    1965 Mustang Convertible 4v 289
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzz View Post
    Small mushroom shaped pieces (2) go with the pedal box. You are correct on the others.
    Those are for your brake and clutch switches.

The small square aluminum piece is for the hole in the side of your trans tunnel on the drivers side.

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you! thought it was odd they weren't on the parts list. ive got a few other extra odds and ends but i want to finish the rest of the pages before i post any more 'what are these' questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick update, Got through all the inventory, few missing pieces, few duplicates (like headlights)
    Still have to send the list off to factory five.
    Got my new workbench / toolchest, keys came with it this time, and the locks work! Happy!!

I figured my DD had a bad headgasket as it was making a terrible milkshake. I take the head off, pressure tested, sure enough its cracked. Need to source a new one and get this thing back out of the garage, not only so I can get around but so I can clear enough room in my garage to start building the body buck. Wish me luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Been awhile, pretty bummed ive been off the road for so long.
    got a head shipped in from a good source in new jersey. took it apart and got it to the shop, they pressure tested, did my valve seals, skimmed the head and glass beaded. did a great job! I got the head back on the engine and after testing spark and fuel, it just turned over. low combustion in all cyl, 90 psi was cyl 1, rest were 65-70 psi. Took the head of and back to the shop and some of the valves arent seating properly. he thinks its due to the compound he used when putting the valves back in.

I dont think that's the sole reason for low compression, i neglected (forgot) to drain the bolt holes on the block of coolant and i think that may have prevented me from getting proper torque on the head bolts.

I took the liberty 2 weeks ago of buying all the lumber i need for the body, and frame dolly, and this weekend i got the frame dolly made. Took longer than expected and i just powered through it as quick as possible.
    also holy crap the IRS frame is so rear heavy! Im expecting the weight distribution in this to be pretty nice once the engine is in.

Cool tip for this specific frame dolly, Home depot has square carpet samples behind their rotating carpet thingies. they let you take them for free! I ran out with 8 and 2 per slot was pretty close to perfect for the whole job!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just finished up mine for the most part. I'm out in Ravensdale, just a bit south of you. I pmd you my number. Shoot me a text and we can chat about the build.

20190520_183131.jpg
    Last edited by Dthquazi; 05-20-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Managed to snag some at Tractor Supply Co. Glad I checked online, because McLendon wanted twice as much for similar hardware.
    I like McLendons, they have a very nice assortment of Screws and Bolts. Some items like the castors and wheels are much cheaper bought at Harbor Fright or Tractor Supply.

Now that I've moved to Thailand from Seattle, there are many small hardware stores here that carry cheap stuff from China due to proximity, but I miss the convenience of McLendons, which seemed to carry almost anything.

BTW - Twitch is working, I can view your saved videos, I'll have to skip most of the live show due to time differences...Nice work!

S.
    Last edited by Megascott; 05-20-2019 at 11:00 PM. Reason: added content

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dthquazi View Post
    I just finished up mine for the most part. I'm out in Ravensdale, just a bit south of you. I pmd you my number. Shoot me a text and we can chat about the build.
    Awesome! Ill shoot you a text, theres a few people in the area that have pmed me, id love to come visit and check out the builds as soon as my car is running properly.
    Last edited by ActionBa5tard; 05-26-2019 at 01:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just started following your build.... Congrats!!! Looking forward to following along.

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast