Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: T-minus 13 days and counting (until I pickup my kit)... UPDATE: It's here!

Post Thanks / Like

T-minus 13 days and counting (until I pickup my kit)... UPDATE: It's here!

I ordered a Mk4 Complete kit just last week and received my confirmation email the next day telling me that it would be ready in 3 weeks!!! While this is great, I was expecting 2-3 months of lead time so now I am scrambling to get ready. I'll start a build thread at some point detailing what I got, but for now I have a few questions.

I am renting a Penske truck and picking it up myself. I have a neighbor with a large Kubota that I am hoping will be willing to help get the kit out of the back of the truck. I am guessing that even if that doesn't work out one could take the body off and then 4 to 6 people could lift the chassis out by hand. Does that seem reasonable?

My bigger concern is the engine. I purchased the Coyote and TKO combo from Factory Five (assembled). If I can't get use of the Kubota with its bucket and chain to lift it out of the truck, what other creative ways have people found to do so? I estimate it will be 550 lbs or so (I think the Coyote is 415-ish plus 110-ish for the TKO plus pallet). Truck bed is about 40" off the ground so I don't think an engine hoist will reach high enough.

Lastly, I was planning on hanging the body from the garage ceiling, but last night I had the idea of hanging it below my deck which has plenty of room and would be out of sight. It would therefore be somewhat sheltered from the sun, rain, and snow of Michigan but not entirely sheltered. I did some searching and found mixed opinions of if long term outdoor storage is advisable or not. Anyone have an opinion or experience they can share?

Thanks!
    Jason
    Last edited by Traveller; 08-29-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! My truck sits very high and lifting items out of the bed can be a challenge. What I've found is that I only need to lift the item an inch and then drive the truck out from under whatever it is I'm lifting. Not sure if that helps or not.

Question? After the 25th anniversary cars went on sale, did you consider changing your order? I know if I were buying right now, I'd have to really think about any other plan I had.

Good luck,
    Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Question? After the 25th anniversary cars went on sale, did you consider changing your order? I know if I were buying right now, I'd have to really think about any other plan I had.

Good luck,
    Dave
    Boy, did I. Two things stopped me - first, it would have been about another $8-10k over my order. Second, I'm not sure how I feel about the bronze powdercoat (at least in the pictures). During the first few days after placing my order, I went back and upgraded to Power Steering and IRS, added the IRS center section, dropped the headers and sidepipes opting for the Gas-N's instead, and then ordered the Coyote plus trans from FFR. I already bumped my budget by 20% in the first 48 hours, so I had to draw the line somewhere (just short of the 25th anniversary option)... Oh yeah, I also just wrote tuition checks to three different colleges.

Besides, maybe my second build will be the 30th Anniversary Edition!
    Last edited by Traveller; 08-13-2019 at 03:16 PM.

4. Likes miller7448, Houdini liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    Boy, did I. Two things stopped me - first, it would have been about another $8-10k over my order. Second, I'm not sure how I feel about the bronze powdercoat (at least in the pictures). During the first few days after placing my order, I went back and upgraded to Power Steering and IRS, added the IRS center section, dropped the headers and sidepipes opting for the Gas-N's instead, and then ordered the Coyote plus trans from FFR. I already bumped my budget by 20% in the first 48 hours, so I had to draw the line somewhere (just short of the 25th anniversary option)... Oh yeah, I also just wrote tuition checks to three different colleges.

Besides, maybe my second build will be the 30th Anniversary Edition!
    I only had to put two through college, and one of them had a full tuition scholarship! I covered all their un-paid expenses (dorm, food, car, etc.) for the first year and they contributed for the rest. Needless to say, they were highly motivated to do well! My oldest graduated from Colorado School of Mines in three years (average is 4-1/2) and my youngest finished her undergrad and was accepted into a doctoral program that paid the rest of her way for her Master's and PhD. They both made this Papa proud!
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

6. Likes miller7448 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a last resort, rent or borrow? A truck with a lift gate, back them together and transfer to the lift gate!
    Hire a flat bed tow truck to put the pieces on and lower to the ground.
    Rent a tractor or mini excavater, have it delivered and use it!
    Transfer to your truck (the motor) then use a ceiling joist in the garage to lift it out!

I think i would talk really nice to the neighbor!!
    Consider how its coming out to have ffr put it in the right way! I would think tranny forward so you can easly get to the motor when removing it?
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    ...I am renting a Penske truck and picking it up myself. I have a neighbor with a large Kubota that I am hoping will be willing to help get the kit out of the back of the truck. I am guessing that even if that doesn't work out one could take the body off and then 4 to 6 people could lift the chassis out by hand. Does that seem reasonable?
    Yes; 4 to 6 people can easily lift the chassis out by hand.

...Lastly, I was planning on hanging the body from the garage ceiling, but last night I had the idea of hanging it below my deck which has plenty of room and would be out of sight. It would therefore be somewhat sheltered from the sun, rain, and snow of Michigan but not entirely sheltered. I did some searching and found mixed opinions of if long term outdoor storage is advisable or not. Anyone have an opinion or experience they can share?
    You can hand the body under your deck without any worry. F5 used to store them laying on the ground out back of their old factory.

Oh, Congratulations!

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post
    As a last resort, rent or borrow? A truck with a lift gate, back them together and transfer to the lift gate!
    Hire a flat bed tow truck to put the pieces on and lower to the ground.
    Rent a tractor or mini excavater, have it delivered and use it!
    Transfer to your truck (the motor) then use a ceiling joist in the garage to lift it out!

I think i would talk really nice to the neighbor!!
    Consider how its coming out to have ffr put it in the right way! I would think tranny forward so you can easly get to the motor when removing it?
    Thanks for the tips - I'll definitely be sure to have the motor at the back and accessible. And I'm already plotting cookies and/or a six pack for my neighbor to get him (and his Kubota) on board...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    Yes; 4 to 6 people can easily lift the chassis out by hand.

You can hand the body under your deck without any worry. F5 used to store them laying on the ground out back of their old factory.

Oh, Congratulations!

John
    Thank you, John!

Post Thanks / Like
    you can pick the frame and body up easily with a couple friends so that wont be an issue. another option is to get a Uhaul with the ramp. Get a couple 4 wheel dollys from home depot or harbor freight and wheel the car down. Can do the same with the engine.

Congrats on joining the family

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

12. Thanks Traveller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had my Coyote delivered on a truck with a lift gate, then borrowed the pallet jack from our lab to jockey it around in my garage.

Congratulations and have fun!
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

14. Thanks Traveller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny you mention your neighbor with a big Kubota, that is how I removed the fit from the trailer it was on. Used the backhoe on my tractor as it had longer reach than the pallet forks plus I needed to get it further into the garage and the doors were not high enough. The backhoe arm allowed me more flexibility.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly my thinking as well. He's been out of town this week, so I am hoping to connect with him this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Funny you mention your neighbor with a big Kubota, that is how I removed the fit from the trailer it was on. Used the backhoe on my tractor as it had longer reach than the pallet forks plus I needed to get it further into the garage and the doors were not high enough. The backhoe arm allowed me more flexibility.

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased the Coyote and TKO combo from Factory Five (assembled).
    Is this a Blueprint engine / transmission? I didn't see this engine on their list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swwebb View Post
    Is this a Blueprint engine / transmission? I didn't see this engine on their list.
    No, it's from Factory Five. I received a flyer from them in the mail a few days after placing my order. Apparently they have created a new entity called Factory Five AT that is supplying Coyote + TKO combos. PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    OP here with an update. Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas. One of my sons and I made the trek in the Penske truck to Wareham and back to Michigan arriving home on Tuesday. I was able to get everything unloaded fairly easily.

With the help of my son and a friend, we removed the body and then lifted the chassis out of the truck and set it onto a chassis dolly. Heavy but doable with 3 of us.

The engine / transmission came mounted to a frame with casters but they were too wide to roll down the Penske truck's loading ramp. We took the casters off the frame and attached it instead to a set of Harbor Freight furniture dollys and rolled it down the ramp without a problem. Everything is now in the garage and I am looking forward to the holiday weekend to get started in earnest!

Thank you again for the help and ideas!

20. Likes jloomis527 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post

Good luck,
    Dave
    something i am considering but a spoiler is that for us noob's, our price is $3500 higher which means $38500 without engine/tranny and paint, takes it over my budget for sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasNMe View Post
    something i am considering but a spoiler is that for us noob's, our price is $3500 higher which means $38500 without engine/tranny and paint, takes it over my budget for sure
    The price listed is what I paid for the 25th. It wasn't $3500 higher, and I'm a "noob".