Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Was told that the 35 hot rod truck has a 450 horsepower limit?!?!?! Really? HELP

Post Thanks / Like

Was told that the 35 hot rod truck has a 450 horsepower limit?!?!?! Really? HELP

So im looking at the 35 truck kit. i have been doing research and looking around this forum for a few weeks. i saw the 1200 hp blue truck that the owner of ffr built , also Joey loganos 800 hp coyote truck with auxiliary radiator in the bed. I was told by FFR racing staff that anymore than 450 hp will not stay cool with the radiator that comes with the kit. my question is for guys running more power how are you cooling the engine

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If 450 HP is the limit then the truck must have a smaller radiator than the hot rod. I ran a 550 HP SBC in my 33HR last year and the radiator was enough to handle that and even ~700 HP with nitrous on the 1/4-mile. My new engine will make from 790 to 1130 HP depending on how much giggle gas I want to use. Been driving it around tuning on it in the 790 HP configuration and never exceeds 190-deg even rompin' on it.

Remember, most of your driving will require much less than 450 HP.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    If 450 HP is the limit then the truck must have a smaller radiator than the hot rod. I ran a 550 HP SBC in my 33HR last year and the radiator was enough to handle that and even ~700 HP with nitrous on the 1/4-mile. My new engine will make from 790 to 1130 HP depending on how much giggle gas I want to use. Been driving it around tuning on it in the 790 HP configuration and never exceeds 190-deg even rompin' on it.

Remember, most of your driving will require much less than 450 HP.
    Well that is a relief, this was a big oh no for me . I have a few drivetrains in my collection from supercharged coyote to 4l whipple super charged 416 ls3 stroker . im looking at something rediculous to build but i want a modern flair and drivability .

I have the amazing fortune of a woderful wife who brought this build up and encourages it so here we go . thank you for the info .

Post Thanks / Like
    That is HP to start--not max!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Radiator is smaller in truck and 32 grill 33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Panheadchuck View Post
    i saw the 1200 hp blue truck that the owner of ffr built
    Mark Gearhart is building that truck. He is NOT the owner of FFR. Dave Smith owns FFR.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...t-Rod-Magazine

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck, if you're looking to build something a bit wilder than most, Mark Gearhart's truck is a good example that will give you some ideas. And don't discount the hot rod -- there's as many ways to build one of them as the truck, and maybe more. Have fun with whatever you build.

I'm waiting for Dave Smith to come out with a 2-door Woodie version of the 33 Hot Rod or the Truck. That would be a very cool kit and the most practical kit car in the FFR lineup.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 347" at about 425HP and I have been surprised as how quickly the electric fan comes on in the truck. Much quicker than my roadster with same engine. Haven't driven the truck enough on the road yet to evaluate cooling.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck, calculating the required size of a radiator is a bit complex but for a guesstimate you can use this rule of thumb to get you close for a naturally aspirated sorta stock engine: Radiator Size.jpg

For a reference point, using my engine's 406 CI I would need ~813 C.I. radiator core. The Gen I hot rod uses a 960 C.I. radiator which is enough for my engine on the street and on the drag strip. I'm not so confident that would be enough if I wanted to run WOT laps at Daytona but for street use and short 9-second passes it will work fine.