FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2001 Donor Gas Tank

Post Thanks / Like

2001 Donor Gas Tank

Hi,

I have a gas tank from a 2001 GT. I'm trying to figure out the best way to plumb the fuel system to work with a 2013 GT Coyote donor engine. Should I use external pump and regulator like the Coyote Fitment instructions say? If so, then what do I do about the existing pump? Also, can someone tell me what each of the 3 blue hose connectors on the tank bump are to be hooked to? I'm also open to an in-tank. Any instructions for doing that?

2001 GT Tank.jpg

Thanks,

Merc

Post Thanks / Like
    We also used a new edge tank and oem pump, but from a 2003 4.6l. The blue connections are fuel vapor connections from the tank as apart of the oem emissions system. The oem tubing connections include a fuel tank pressure sensor to make sure that the emissions system is sealed and that the gas cap is on tight. Vapors from the tank would have gone back to the intake to be burned and make the EPA happy...

Some will choose to run hoses from these vents to a homemade evap canister, made from pvc pipe filled with fish tank filter charcoal. We left these connections open to atmosphere and have not smelled gas at all...Neither in the car, nor in the garage after a ride.

Mod motors (4.6 and 5.0) run a returnless fuel system with a variable speed pump. You should be able to get a larger pump to retrofit the 2001 tank insert, as many new edge mustang owners have done coyote swaps without running external pumps.

Picture of our tank

Donor tank mockup
    Last edited by ryanmac; 10-11-2017 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Added pics

Post Thanks / Like
    One year used return style in that center mounting location. 98 I think. Use that.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like the Walbro TU227HP-2 High Performance Fuel Module Assembly for a 1998 GT tank will work. Now just have to figure out the fuel pressure regulator part?

Thanks!
    Last edited by MercMeier; 10-12-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 9& Cobra donor. Is it the return type?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I'm going to try the Walbro TU227HP-2 High Performance Fuel Module Assembly. It does have the return line. I'm still not sure about the fuel pressure regulator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmac View Post
    We also used a new edge tank and oem pump, but from a 2003 4.6l. The blue connections are fuel vapor connections from the tank as apart of the oem emissions system. The oem tubing connections include a fuel tank pressure sensor to make sure that the emissions system is sealed and that the gas cap is on tight. Vapors from the tank would have gone back to the intake to be burned and make the EPA happy...

Some will choose to run hoses from these vents to a homemade evap canister, made from pvc pipe filled with fish tank filter charcoal. We left these connections open to atmosphere and have not smelled gas at all...Neither in the car, nor in the garage after a ride.

Mod motors (4.6 and 5.0) run a returnless fuel system with a variable speed pump. You should be able to get a larger pump to retrofit the 2001 tank insert, as many new edge mustang owners have done coyote swaps without running external pumps.

Picture of our tank

Donor tank mockup
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Check w breeze and install at the tank. No long return line. Wish I had.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frd2 View Post
    Check w breeze and install at the tank. No long return line. Wish I had.
    Thanks, for the tip! I ordered #70766 Fuel Filter, Regulator and Line Kit for Coyote from Breeze.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to a great summary of most mustang's fuel system by American Muscle.

Return vs Returnless Systems

I believe that 99 and up 4.6l (SOHC and DOHC) are returnless. Returnless type will have (require) a fuel pump module that varies the voltage to the pump to vary the pressure and flow to the motor.

All pushrod 5.0 mustangs will be a return style. And, 98 and down 4.6l should be return style.
    Last edited by ryanmac; 10-13-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MercMeier View Post
    Yes, I'm going to try the Walbro TU227HP-2 High Performance Fuel Module Assembly. It does have the return line. I'm still not sure about the fuel pressure regulator.
    That's what I'm using with an external fuel pressure regulator. Direct fit with a return.