Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Alaskan '35 Truck with Coyote

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan View Post
    Big development- After getting a good look at the Joey Logano FFR truck at SEMA today I noticed something funny. They cut the cab and extended it 4” or so. It makes use of all of the dead space behind the seat, and you just have to make up for it by shortening the bed. Now I gotta go home and draw a big line around the cab all the way around... I think I’m going for it. It seems doable and will really open up the cab for legroom. C6007927-0578-4C68-98A4-DF1979D58C4F.jpg
    Your profile reads like mine. Just built my home. I'm 6'3". Love the truck build idea. Wondering...you said when you looked at the rig originally, the FFR guy said they were redesigning something to make the fit for taller people better when you went to the factory before buying. Now you say you want to extend the cab, is that necessary?
    Do you need a welding setup to build this? What tools are required?
    I live in Chicago, built my house, have a three car garage (with two cars in it). Can I build this in that space? I'm thinking it would require two car bays, one for building, and one for parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vckiter View Post
    I live in Chicago, built my house, have a three car garage (with two cars in it). Can I build this in that space? I'm thinking it would require two car bays, one for building, and one for parts.
    I built 4 kit cars in my two car garage, with my wife's car on her side (most of the time). One car I built under a lift with the Cobra on top.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    I built 4 kit cars in my two car garage, with my wife's car on her side (most of the time). One car I built under a lift with the Cobra on top.
    I guess it can be done then. I have no idea how much space is needed to unload the big box and get things inside. I was thinking perhaps to order in the spring, then leave her car outside during the late spring and summer, giving me two bays if she's cool with that. She leaves her car outside parked on the street at the school she works at, and it's already been swiped by a couple snow plows smashing both side view mirrors, with a dent in the back, so I'm thinking that's the car to leave outside LOL

Does one need a pickup truck to do this build? Man, I need to start looking around for paint shops and stuff to see where I can take things if I need to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vckiter View Post
    Does one need a pickup truck to do this build? Man, I need to start looking around for paint shops and stuff to see where I can take things if I need to.
    You might need access to one. If you plan it right, you won't need to buy one.

You'll need to get an engine and transmission in your garage. But you can have it shipped on a palate and delivered to your door.

Once the car is built and ready for paint, you could rent a trailer and truck. Or call a towing company and have it flat bedded. Some people drive it in gel coat for a while, then take it to the paint shop.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    HD rents trucks for $20 for 90 mins and there's a trailer rental place near me. Do I need a welder? I have all kinds of tools to build a house, just not metalworking tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn’t say it’s necessary to extend the cab, but the way they designed the chassis it is just fiberglass work to extend the cab back to meet where the back of the frame meets up behind the seats. I am still undecided if I want to move the rear roll bar or leave it as is. I’m leaning toward leaving it, so no welding would be necessary. This pic better illustrates how much room there is in the cab section of the chassis, so all I need to do is cut the fiberglass cab, add some material, and use that space. I’ll admit it’s easy to say you are going to cut the cab in half, and a little harder to actually do it. I’ll build up the courage and do it pretty soon. I’m still researching the best methods for laying glass in between two cut sections. Any advice would be appreciated. 547266A9-E70E-4EA5-93B3-CE43F8E19F44.jpg
    FFR Hot Rod Truck #79
    Gen III Coyote with 6R80 A/T

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan View Post
    I wouldn’t say it’s necessary to extend the cab, but the way they designed the chassis it is just fiberglass work to extend the cab back to meet where the back of the frame meets up behind the seats. I am still undecided if I want to move the rear roll bar or leave it as is. I’m leaning toward leaving it, so no welding would be necessary. This pic better illustrates how much room there is in the cab section of the chassis, so all I need to do is cut the fiberglass cab, add some material, and use that space. I’ll admit it’s easy to say you are going to cut the cab in half, and a little harder to actually do it. I’ll build up the courage and do it pretty soon. I’m still researching the best methods for laying glass in between two cut sections. Any advice would be appreciated. 547266A9-E70E-4EA5-93B3-CE43F8E19F44.jpg
    Sent you PM with my 2 cents. Hope it helps. Good luck! PS: The link I sent you for the fiberglass kits the guy there is supper knowledgeable and helpful.