Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Wareaglescott's Coyote build thread - INDEX ADDED TO POST #1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dncharo View Post
    Hi Scott,
    Thanks for the update. The 911 looks amazing, I love the seats!
    I'm sorry to hear about the flowmaster slimlines because I actually just had those welded into my side pipes last weekend... I was hoping that they would last forever.
    I was actually just reading through your build thread and saw that you had them ceramic coated. Can I ask where you got them done and if that has held up? Any regrets there? I've read about jet-hot, but they are located far from me and I'm wondering if a local place using cerakote will be just as good.
    Thanks! -David
    I had them coated at a place in Atlanta area. Have held up just fine. No regrets with the coating. I took some decibel readings when I first put them in. I really need to take some more for comparison. I think I will do that.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished the 911 Project. Whitby did a great job on paint for me again!

https://youtu.be/SWbgJxpM2HU
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

3. Likes PeteMeindl, Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, Scott. I enjoyed watching the 911 go together on Instagram. I thought building a FFR from the ground up was a challenge but stripping down a 41 year old car and putting it back together, better than before is a huge accomplishment. Countless people have the big dream but get stalled or discouraged and end up with garage full of parts. Your organization and honesty about budget and time should help many people who might consider such a project. I know you are proud and you should be.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful! Again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. I enjoy your daily instagram video's. I'm hoping you're starting a new project soon to keep the videos coming?
    MK IV - #9586, Gen 2 Coyote, TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D02G View Post
    Looks great. I enjoy your daily instagram video's. I'm hoping you're starting a new project soon to keep the videos coming?
    Thanks!
    Ill keep the instagram content coming. I want to do another project just not quite sure what yet. Honestly a little burnt out right now so will take some time off and Im sure I have a couple months of tweaking on the 911 still.

First thing I need to accomplish is a second lift in my upstairs garage so I can free up my workshop space!

Post Thanks / Like
    Continuing to enjoy the Cobra. Passed 9000 miles the other day.
    Also continuing to enjoy building things. I think I like building as much as driving. I have my next project lined up. The garages are getting full. First order of business was to create an additional parking spot so I can free up my workshop. Added another 4 post lift to the upstairs garage. Will move the old 911 upstairs and have an opening in my shop space.

My next project is a 1973 Datsun 240z. This is one of my best friends cars. It was actually his dads. It has been in some sort of state of restoration since 2001! He simply does not have the money to pay somebody labor rates to finish it. The paint and body is done. I am going to finish getting it all back together for him for whatever the reamaining parts cost. I know nothing about these cars so it should be fun. At some point they put a V8 in it. This works out good for both of us because he can finally get his car done for cheap and I can help my buddy out and have something to work on without it costing me anything. That way I can save and continue to look for my next real project. He lives out of state from me. Hoping to have it down here next week to get started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Build thread for the 240Z? If so, where?
    MK IV - #9586, Gen 2 Coyote, TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great, Scott! You're a nice guy - and that project looks like a lot of fun!
    2018 Factory Five Mk IV, Gen 2 Coyote, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, complete kit, standard brakes and rear axle;
    Delivered: 5 Sept 2018
    First start: 31 Aug 2019
    First go-cart: 22 Sept 2019
    Basically done except paint: May 2020
    Graduation: June 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,
    Nice cars. I am shopping for a drive on lift. Do you have any advice for getting a good deal on price and delivery?
    I have a swing arm, but need some parking room and like a drive on for easier access.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D02G View Post
    Build thread for the 240Z? If so, where?
    Not yet. I will post if I find a place to do one

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Scott,
    Nice cars. I am shopping for a drive on lift. Do you have any advice for getting a good deal on price and delivery?
    I have a swing arm, but need some parking room and like a drive on for easier access.
    I am very pleased with Bendpak. They will deliver for free but you have to get it off the truck yourself which is tricky if you dont have a large forklift. I elected to have them sent to a shipping depot and had a buddy with a trailer help me pick it up.

14. Thanks Railroad thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    My next project is a 1973 Datsun 240z. This is one of my best friends cars. It was actually his dads. It has been in some sort of state of restoration since 2001! He simply does not have the money to pay somebody labor rates to finish it. The paint and body is done. I am going to finish getting it all back together for him for whatever the reamaining parts cost. I know nothing about these cars so it should be fun. At some point they put a V8 in it. This works out good for both of us because he can finally get his car done for cheap and I can help my buddy out and have something to work on without it costing me anything. That way I can save and continue to look for my next real project. He lives out of state from me. Hoping to have it down here next week to get started.

Scott,

My cousin has a 260-Z that would be a good donor if you need parts.
    He also has an extra engine out of a 240 with Weber Side Drafts and 5-Speed out of a 280-ZX that he'd like to sell.
    The car and extra driveline are both located in Lafayette Louisiana.
    Let me know if these items might be of interest to you.

Steve

PS: I love these cars, especially when properly stuffed with a SBC, but we all know I love anything that is improperly stuffed with a SBC.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-06-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Passed 10,000 miles on the Cobra yesterday. Running great. Very few issues. Was having a little grinding on the 4th to 3rd downshift intermittently. Changed the fluid and hasn’t happened again so hopefully that is not an issue. We will see. Continuing to add cars to the garage so I’m not putting as many miles on as I used to but still really enjoying it when I get out. Can usually find about 1 day a week through the winter to drive it a little.

Had to abort on the Z project I previously posted about. My friend just didn’t have the money to make it happen.

I have gone rougue and bought a ‘67 Camaro I am going to resto mod with a roadster shop chassis, rear wheel tubs, crate LS3 / T56 drivetrain. Will start a build thread somewhere. Will post when I do and as always you can see lots of coverage of the build in my Instagram daily story @scottsrides

My goal for this build was to get a car that didn’t need paint and body. This one is quite nice. Paid up for entry cost but figure I will save it on paint and body cost as I still have no desire to do that part myself.

Still a Ford guy at heart that just happens to own a Camaro!

17. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Scott,

We have an "other cars build thread" forum as part of the off-topic forum:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/foru...-Build-Threads

The posts don't show up on the home page but there are no other restrictions. Feel free to post your Camaro resto-build there if you want.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

19. Thanks wareaglescott thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the plate Scott! I personally have no brand loyalties; Ford, GM, Chrysler or AMC doesn’t matter; I can find something to love about all of ‘em! I’ll look forward to following the Camaro project and good on ya’ for hitting 10K miles! I still have the photo and note you sent me above my desk and look at your car every day

Cheers,
    Jeff

21. Thanks wareaglescott thanked for this post
    Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Scott. I still miss my 67 sometimes, but I'm sure she's sunning on the beach somewhere in France. Look forward to seeing project.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

23. Thanks wareaglescott thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    https://youtu.be/iEzTO-T9H9o

You Underestimate The Power Of The Dark Side!
    Come With Me, It Is The Only Way!
    You've Taken The First Step!
    It Is Your Destiny!
    Go-Vader-Go!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-28-2021 at 10:37 PM.

25. Likes wareaglescott liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been over a year since I updated this thread. Wanted to check in and say hello to everyone.
    Still enjoying the Cobra. Luckily the weather is agreeing over the winter and I can continue to get it out on a drive every couple weeks or so.

Pluggin away on the Camaro project. Taking me a long time. Probably have spread myself a little thin with to many cars and other obligations are getting in the way. I am making some progress though.
    1967 Camaro, Roadster Shop full chassis , LS3 and T-56
    Really enjoying this build but it is complex for me. I am basically just using the original body and some interior parts and everything else is brand new. Should be a real nice driver when complete. Lots more things needing a custom solution than I have experienced before. I seem to go to the shop with the intention of working on something and end up branching off on multiple tangents and finally circling back to the intended topic months later! haha
    Hoping to fire this thing up this summer sometime but who knows.
    Luckily for me the FFR community continue to be awesome. Paul (EdwardB) who helps us all so much just happens to have an LS3 in his truck build so I have been the lucky benefactor of his stellar advice numerous times on this project as well. Here are a few pics, my trusty pup likes trying to help. Sadly we lost her sister last year but other than that we are doing great.

Attached Images Attached Images

27. Thanks GoDadGo, Geoff H thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice setup.

I'm interested in what kind of wheels/tires you have on the frame so that it works on your wheel dollies. Looks like a good idea.

I guess you could even use temporary spares if the bolt pattern lines up?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Been over a year since I updated this thread. Wanted to check in and say hello to everyone.
    Still enjoying the Cobra. Luckily the weather is agreeing over the winter and I can continue to get it out on a drive every couple weeks or so.

Pluggin away on the Camaro project. Taking me a long time. Probably have spread myself a little thin with to many cars and other obligations are getting in the way. I am making some progress though.
    1967 Camaro, Roadster Shop full chassis , LS3 and T-56
    Really enjoying this build but it is complex for me. I am basically just using the original body and some interior parts and everything else is brand new. Should be a real nice driver when complete. Lots more things needing a custom solution than I have experienced before. I seem to go to the shop with the intention of working on something and end up branching off on multiple tangents and finally circling back to the intended topic months later! haha
    Hoping to fire this thing up this summer sometime but who knows.
    Luckily for me the FFR community continue to be awesome. Paul (EdwardB) who helps us all so much just happens to have an LS3 in his truck build so I have been the lucky benefactor of his stellar advice numerous times on this project as well. Here are a few pics, my trusty pup likes trying to help. Sadly we lost her sister last year but other than that we are doing great.

Hi Scott

Ive read the whole of the cobra build and honestly wouldn't change a thing , absolutely stunnigncar mate. then went to Pelican and read the 911 again amazing car and what a credit to you both are

congratulations

Post Thanks / Like
    Back with another update. Hope everyone is doing well.
    Passed 11,000 miles on the Cobra. Still really enjoying it. I am finding now that I have too many cars I am not driving it as much as I used to. However that seems to make me enjoy the Cobra even more when I do get to drive it. I usually take it on a 15-20 mile drive once every week or two. Everything is continuing to work great. Really pleased now about 7 years later that I went with the Coyote. My thought of just having the reliability to jump in and go when I want is working out great.

I did finish my '67 Camaro build and have bout 500 miles on it. Really loving it as well. Has a Roadster shop full chassis, mini tubbed rear end, LS3 with 495hp, T56 and a Ford 9" rear end. Here are a few pics.

31. Likes edwardb, M. Townsend liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really glad you've shared your journey and love of cars. I'm still in the dreaming/planning stage. However, I have to tell you I have a pic of your Cobra on the desktop background of my computer at work. Some of my coworkers are pretty sure I've gone off the deep end talking about these beastly little dream machines.

Excellent looking Camaro!

Actually, about a year ago I told the missus I wanted to build a car. She was thinking our place would end up looking like the local muffler/tire shop and was a just "a bit negative". So I didn't say anything else for about a week. Then I showed her a pic of your car. Mind changed, all aboard, when can I take a ride in it... Thank You!
    Last edited by M. Townsend; 09-04-2022 at 07:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Townsend View Post
    Really glad you've shared your journey and love of cars. I'm still in the dreaming/planning stage. However, I have to tell you I have a pic of your Cobra on the desktop background of my computer at work. Some of my coworkers are pretty sure I've gone off the deep end talking about these beastly little dream machines.

Excellent looking Camaro!

Actually, about a year ago I told the missus I wanted to build a car. She was thinking our place would end up looking like the local muffler/tire shop and was a just "a bit negative". So I didn't say anything else for about a week. Then I showed her a pic of your car. Mind changed, all aboard, when can I take a ride in it... Thank You!
    Thank you for the kind words. Good luck with your build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi would you mind shating where you got ypour fender badges please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlinejoev View Post
    Scott makes it here occasionally. But I can answer your question. They're from https://www.billetbadges.com/index. I used them on a build as well. Very high quality. But take some time and not cheap. I understand there's some limitation on what they've done in the past for our builds because of trademark/copyright concerns. These are the ones they did for me. But pretty sure they wouldn't make them exactly the same now.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlinejoev View Post
    As Paul stated they no longer make the ones I got due to some copyright issue. Can't really suggest anywhere else that has them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I'll check out the site and go from there. I appreciate your time very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Worked on aligning the front this morning. Previously I had set the rear toe and camber.

I purchased some toe plates, a laser level and the Fast Trax 91000 tool with the no lip adapters.
    The first issue I had was with the 18" wheels and the fast trax tool at full extension it was just a little short for the adapters to grab the lip of the wheel. I went ahead and made an extension so it would fit out of some spare metal I had. Also to make sure I did not throw off the angle at all I added some shims on the bottom two pieces so everything was equal.
    Here is my extension:

My first step was to use the toe plates and get the toe in set. I knew the other adjustments would change this setting but I wanted to get it close. I was shooting for 1/16" toe in.
    Once the toe was close I set the camber at - .5 degrees. Again I knew adjusting the others would throw this off but cycling through camber then caster seemed to get me closer each time to the final settings.
    Next I worked on caster. This is a little more tricky. The end of the fast trax tool is angled at 15 degrees. Basically you turn the front of the wheel out 15 degrees. Then set the level to 0 and then turn the front of the wheel in 15 degrees and you can adjust the upper control arms until you get your desired caster angle. With power steering I was shooting for 8 degrees. The problem with the tool end is it is about 3/4" long and trying to judge 15 degrees with any measure of accuracy is difficult. I came up with what I believe was a pretty good system.

First I taped some leftover wood trim on the ends so I could get a little better visual indication of where I was at in relation to straight:

Here the tool is attached to the wheel. You can see where I added the extension and shims to accommodate the 18" wheels:

To figure out the 15 degrees I ended up turning the toe plates upside down and placing them along the inside of the wheel. I determined exactly straight by using a fixed point from the frame and measured in both directions. Then I marked that line on the garage floor with a sharpie. Then I got out my angle measuring device and set it up for 15 degrees and marked a line of off the center line 15 degrees in both directions. I marked both of those lines with the sharpie. Then I was able to turn the wheels and measure the resulting distance from the line drawn to the toe plate. I evened it up until the measurement was equal all the way down the line. Here the wheel is turned out. You can see the 3 lines I drew and I am measuring the distance from the toe plate to the 15 degree out line:

I feel this was as accurate as I could get at home with no advanced equipment. Basically I cycled through toe in, camber, and then caster and each rotation it seemed to get closer and closer to what I was looking for. Since one movement affects the others I think this is the only way to go. It was time consuming but ultimately I think the alignment is quite good. I later validated this with the tracking on my go cart ride. Car tracked perfectly straight with no wandering one way or another. That was a short validation though. I may take the car in for professional alignment once I get it done. I will have to see how it feels and the tires are wearing in the future. Really happy I tried this at home.

I did come across one issue during alignment. I appreciate Jeff Kleiner taking the time for a phone call to help me out mid process. Once again the generosity of this community is spectacular.
    To get the 8 degrees of caster on the drivers side I was very close to running out of adjustability on the rear upper control arm. When I got over to the passenger side at first I could only achieve about 6 degrees. Jeff has previously mentioned this possibility and the need to trim the adjustment sleeve a little to make it work. I thought I was going to need to do this on the PS. Turns out when I cycled through the other measurements I was able to achieve 8 degrees without modification. I am essentially at full adjustment though and can go no further. Once I get the body on and the ride height changes I will revisit the alignment and may need to make some further modifications.

After the alignment was done I was ready for my first go cart. I went through and checked all the fluids and greased everything up again. I had a pre go cart checklist to make sure I was ready to go. It was quite exciting pulling it out of the garage with intentions of leaving the driveway for the first time. I was nervous about bottoming out coming off the driveway. That was not a problem. I just took it slow. The car drove beautifully and I couldn't be more pleased. Took my wife on a quick ride also. I cant seem to get the smile off of my face. Really proud to reach this milestone. I am very thankful for all the amazing help I have gotten along the way.

Here is a quick video:
    https://youtu.be/jcIsIWjaveA
    Did you get the exhaust from FFR with catalytic converters?

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021