Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Super Bright Super Low Profile 3rd Brake light

Post Thanks / Like

Super Bright Super Low Profile 3rd Brake light

When I started my 3rd brake light mod, I had orgiinally purchased a billet motorcycle brake light from a place in Florida. It was really nice but it stuck out like a sore thumb and I removed it. I had already drilled a hole in my rollbar and thought maybe I will just put some LED's in there. But I found this single chrome LED from a great website called superbrightleds.com

The bolt beam 12mm LED provides 55 Lumens of eye piercing red stopping light. https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ed-light/1494/

Post Thanks / Like
    I jumped the rear brake lights from the circuits running to my turn signal stalk. I kept some service loops and made it all neat in the beginning stages of my build.

Post Thanks / Like
    In order for the two circuits to run the one light, I would have to solder and heat shrink in some diodes to keep the power from crossing over to the other set of lights. If these diodes are not used the lights will all blink on and off when the brakes are depressed and the turn signal is on. It would really mess up the funtion of separated circuits for blinkers and brakes respectively. This way they act as a power gate only allowing electricity to flow to the LED and not back into the rest of the circuits. I was going to make a PCB but it wouldn't fit in the roll-bar. I decided to use a few layers of heat shrink.

I underexposed this photo to show the light. Its much brighter and will certainly keep me a lot safer going down the road. These cars are so small and low, this mod was very high on my list.

Last edited by TexasAviator; 08-04-2018 at 10:40 AM.

4. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

6. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool idea and nice work, Texas. I've never gotten anything bad from Superbright. I already have a trailer unit operating all 4 of my tail lights as brakes, but I may have to do something like this with my dual roll bars.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

8. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool & well done!

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.