Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen 3 Coupe Body Storage ???

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 Coupe Body Storage ???

I have been putting off taking the body off of my frame until now. It now needs to come off for the next phase of my build. I have seen various solutions that others have done to hang the body or build a buck to store it in the horizontal position. These storage orientations don' work well for me.

What I would like to do is to store the body vertically, resting on the back end of the body. I was planning on building a frame on a dolly that would support the body upright on the back end. The back seems pretty sturdy and like it will tolerate this orientation.

Does anyone see any reason or have any experience with this storage approach?

Thanks for any input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Gadsen, I wanted to ask the same.
    Am curious how the others handled this.

Rgds, Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    I built a simple stand with V support , can send pic if you want

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't help too much, but will share my experience and suggestion. The nose (cowl) piece is big, heavy, and quite rigid. Nothing needed to do there IMO. Mine stood on its back edge against the garage wall until I needed it. Very stable and no real chance for any damage. The main body section, on the other hand, is much more unwieldy and flexes between the top and sides quite a bit. I stored mine sitting flat on the floor (actually in my trailer) on the pontoons. With the back propped up slightly was perfectly flat and stable. Was that way for about 8-10 months and was fine when I went to use it. If you do want to store it sitting on the rear, agree that's flat, strong, and stable. But I would do something to brace the sides between the rear wheel openings and the front of the doors. Nothing extreme, but enough to keep them from flexing too much.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    My plan did not work out for me. The only spot in my garage where i could store the body also had interference from the garage door supports. The body is longer than it looks! I may have been able to wiggle it and get it into position, but as Edwardb mentioned, it is fragile in spots and i was afraid i would snap something.

I ended up putting my truck outside and freeing up that garage bay. For now the body is sitting there until i can come up with a plan B....or it may stay there until it goes back on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsden View Post
    My plan did not work out for me. The only spot in my garage where i could store the body also had interference from the garage door supports. The body is longer than it looks! I may have been able to wiggle it and get it into position, but as Edwardb mentioned, it is fragile in spots and i was afraid i would snap something.

I ended up putting my truck outside and freeing up that garage bay. For now the body is sitting there until i can come up with a plan B....or it may stay there until it goes back on.

I would only add that there is absolutely no reason not to store it outside. I was worried about this on my first build 13 years ago and stored my body in my basement-

Knowing what I know now..... a whole bunch of builds later... I store them outside anytime of year in the northeast without worry.

Unless you have an HOA that would stop you that could be an option too.

I don’t put my truck outside in the winter��
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    The owner of a Gen 3 I'm working on has the body screwed down to the floor of his back deck. He has a VERY understanding wife!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The owner of a Gen 3 I'm working on has the body screwed down to the floor of his back deck. He has a VERY understanding wife!

Jeff
    It's "yard art" dude.
    Frank