Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Interior Door Opener

Post Thanks / Like

Interior Door Opener

Interior Door Opener
    I intend purchasing the ffr interior door release (comes with the coup) and retro fit to my 33 hotrod (roadster) for use instead of the hard to reach and operate one I have currently.

Anyone done this so far? Will there be any issues in doing this?

Any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I am not familiar with what you are describing. I have tried both the pull handles, a custom lever, and finally had the originals installed with the pull cables.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Early hot rods had "normal" handles rather than the PIN used as of Late. Gen 2 hotrods also use the "normal" handles. I am sure if you call FFR they can set you up with handles and cables as well as any brackets you might need.

The latches are all the same, also the same on the coupe so it should not be overly difficult to accomplish.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    I simply added rear window handles to the pins which basically placed them just forward as the ones you would install from FFR. This also allowed me to install the midrange speaker and tweeter in that area where the handle would go.
    20190202_203227.jpg

6. Thanks clays123 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    are you referring to these http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/6076...dles-set-of-2/

Yep, I kind of like these. i was just wondering how difficult they are to retrofit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJT '33 View Post
    I simply added rear window handles to the pins which basically placed them just forward as the ones you would install from FFR. This also allowed me to install the midrange speaker and tweeter in that area where the handle would go.
    20190202_203227.jpg
    This would be my 2nd option. Where did you purchase the handles?

Post Thanks / Like
    20190202_203227.jpg
    Is this car with the hard top? How come you dont have the pull handles where the mid range speakers are?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by clays123 View Post
    are you referring to these http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/6076...dles-set-of-2/

Yep, I kind of like these. i was just wondering how difficult they are to retrofit.
    I wouldn't think a retrofit would be a problem at all as long as you can take the door panel off... I believe it works with the same latch mechanism...

Post Thanks / Like
    This would be my 2nd option. Where did you purchase the handles?
    If memory serves me right I got them from Speedway, they are Lokar rear window crank handles. They have a bunch of styles, I replaced the pin that FFR provided and put in a pin that fits exact to the handle hole. A bolt and a bushing is what I had until I found the right stud that fit the existing hole and handle. The round of the handle covers the slotted plate they provide. I also had a $50 gift card which took a bit of the sting off the price, they are nice regardless.
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lokar...ack,97701.html
    20181222_120908.jpg
    Last edited by AJT '33; 03-15-2019 at 10:14 AM. Reason: updated where I purchased the handles

12. Thanks JimLev thanked for this post
    Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this car with the hard top? How come you don't have the pull handles where the mid range speakers are?
    I didnt like the look of any of the handles i saw, they all seemed normal or what everyone else had, If I would have found something maybe I would do it differently however this also allowed me to use that space for the stereo. I do have door openers/actuators with Billet Automotive push buttons I bought from Australia. I can push the button or reach over and manually open it or use the remote. Having three ways I thought would make it easy for me . I also have an emergency button that's hidden on the car that pops a door as well in case the battery dies.

And yes I have a removable hard top as well.
    Last edited by AJT '33; 03-15-2019 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have an emergency button that's hidden on the car that pops a door as well in case the battery dies.
    Isn't the button electric actuation? if so, how does that work if the battery dies?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    I wouldn't think a retrofit would be a problem at all as long as you can take the door panel off... I believe it works with the same latch mechanism...

The door panels are already off, that's why I am looking at the different options right now.
    Thanks very much you have been most helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didnt like the look of any of the handles i saw, they all seemed normal or what everyone else had, If I would have found something maybe I would do it differently however this also allowed me to use that space for the stereo. I do have door openers/actuators with Bullet Automotive push buttons I bought from Australia. I can push the button or reach over and manually open it or use the remote. Having three ways I thought would make it easy for me . I also have an emergency button that's hidden on the car that pops a door as well in case the battery dies.

And yes I have a removable hard top as well.
    Thanks very much, obviously you put a lot of thought and effort into your build. You are most helpful.

17. Thanks AJT '33 thanked for this post
    Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Isn't the button electric actuation? if so, how does that work if the battery dies?
    Secondary power source adequate to activate the popper which is keyed and hidden. I also have two remote terminal posts that are keyed to allow for an external Lithium boost as well. I know its a lot of redundancy but for the sake of about $100 its worth not being stuck.
    Last edited by AJT '33; 03-15-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

19. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used these and was some work post 303 toms 33, but works good. The little handles just did not work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1932 View Post
    I used these and was some work post 303 toms 33, but works good. The little handles just did not work.
    You might want to check what Bill did on his post "Kit 075 restart" Post #470 (page 2), he used the FFR handle with the wire in a sleeve that goes from the door handle to the second hole of the latch on the inside of the door, you can see this in the attached picture from Bill. I know there is a better one but could not find it, this one looks easier to install. Good Luck!!
    IMG_0346.jpg
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas