Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Fuel Line Best Practices

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    AC Bill - Not sure if you’re aware yet but just in case I’ll mention it here... the new FFR Gen 3 Coupe has a square-tube flat-floor chassis design that doesn’t have the useful room adjacent to the 4” round tubes of Gen 2 and prior Coupes (and all Roadsters to date). There simply is no other option to run the fuel lines without going through the passenger cabin (often illegal in either DOT laws or racing rulebooks). The transmission tunnel is basically the only option. .
    Thank you Logan, no, I was not aware of that. I don't believe I have seen an underside picture of one....Odd how FFR would let that flaw slip by, when doing the new Gen 3 design? I guess builders have no choice.
    If there is room, perhaps one could weld a short section of steel pipe to the frame, for the fuel lines to pass through, adjacent to the driveshaft area?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Thank you Logan, no, I was not aware of that. I don't believe I have seen an underside picture of one....Odd how FFR would let that flaw slip by, when doing the new Gen 3 design? I guess builders have no choice.
    If there is room, perhaps one could weld a short section of steel pipe to the frame, for the fuel lines to pass through, adjacent to the driveshaft area?
    Here's the Gen 3 Coupe chassis underside. I don't consider it a flaw. Just what it is. These are early pics of my build before any of the lines were installed. Only the rear suspension. But you get the idea. For perspective, in the first pic, you can see the motor mounts at the bottom and back wall of the radiator tunnel in front of the engine.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Here's the Gen 3 Coupe chassis underside.
    Thanks for the pictures Ed.
    Well that is certainly leaving builders with little choice, as to the routing. I suppose one could weld a section of rectangular tube steel under the frame at the bottom of the cockpit, and feed the fuel lines through it. That way it remains out of the cockpit, and clear of the tranny tunnel. It shouldn't be a factor as far as ground clearance goes, given the fact the previous tube frame would have hung at least that low. It should be thick enough that it could take hit from a speed bump, just in case.