Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power steering issues with hoses and fittings

Post Thanks / Like

Question Power steering issues with hoses and fittings

Hi there,
    Anyone know what the fitting on the back of a 1966 Mustang power steering pump is. It looks like a 3/8" flare, but I can't tell.
    Anyway, I need to go from that fitting to the Factory Five power steering hose and I don't know what those fittings are either. Perhaps there is an adapter?
    I would appreciate any help I can get.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone would know this, it would be Mark at Breeze Automotive.

Post Thanks / Like
    100% agree; Mark is the MAN! He knows what you need, has it in stock, and his price will beat anything you can find.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    A 1966 pump? You're kind of going way off the reservation with that! Mind if I ask why?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

1966 Mustang PS pump

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    A 1966 pump? You're kind of going way off the reservation with that! Mind if I ask why?

Jeff
    Hi Jeff,
    Well...that pump is the only one that fits the CVF Racing billet V-belt front drive bracket (a mistake I guess, now). The later model Ford pump is serpentine: don't know if a V-belt pulley will fit or line up. Anyway, it has been just a headache. With the CVF bracket the pump hits the steering shaft. IJ found a Scott Drake bracket (for a Bronco) that was shorter, but then the pump hits the fuel pump. Finnaly got a little clearance, but now of course is the hose problem.
    When I tighten the fittings at the rack end the nut bottoms out before the tubing gets tight. BTW, FFR said the fittings on the rack end of the hoses are "supposed to be loose". How can that work?

What kind of pump, brackets, hoses do you run?

Thanks for any help,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff's First FFR View Post
    Hi Jeff,
    ...BTW, FFR said the fittings on the rack end of the hoses are "supposed to be loose". How can that work?

What kind of pump, brackets, hoses do you run?

Thanks for any help,
    Jeff
    FFR supplies OEM style hoses and with those the stop nut tightens into the rack or pump but the tube at the end of the hose remains loose so that it can pivot. This tube uses double O-rings to seal in the bore at the rack. I use Fox era pumps mounted on either a Ford Racing M-8511-A50 relocator or brackets and pulleys from CFR Performance. I get bulk Teflon hose, AN hose fittings and the O-ring adapters for the pump and rack from Mark at Breeze.

Good luck!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    The hoses are supposed to be loose at the rack. I know it seems weird, but they won’t leak.

I used a pump for 87-93 Mustang that matched the rack and modified the Mustang pump mount to work with a V pulley. The rest of the brackets are CVF racing. I originally had the pump down low but, I had an interference issue with the steering shaft. Does the 66 pump have the correct pressure for a rack? If it does then finding or making an adapter for the hose should be easy enough.

Here’s a picture of my setup.

Good Luck

Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm B View Post
    ...Does the 66 pump have the correct pressure for a rack? ...
    Norm
    Norm came up w/ a very good question. I haven't bothered to do any research since it doesn't apply to me but I have heard that, auto industry wide, there are several ranges of pressures. I think Chevy is different than Ford. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find an old style 66 steering _box_ system is different than a more recent steering _rack_ system.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    The hoses are supposed to be loose at the rack. I know it seems weird, but they won’t leak.

I used a pump for 87-93 Mustang that matched the rack and modified the Mustang pump mount to work with a V pulley. The rest of the brackets are CVF racing. I originally had the pump down low but, I had an interference issue with the steering shaft. Does the 66 pump have the correct pressure for a rack? If it does then finding or making an adapter for the hose should be easy enough.

Good Luck

Norm
    The 1966 pump is supposed to be of the lower pressure type, not the high pressure used by Chevy.
    Thank you,
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck

Norm
    Hi Norm,
    I used CVF Racing brackets also; however, the PS pump bracket caused interference with the steering shaft as you know. I got a shorter one from Scott Drake that was for a Bronco. Now have clearance to the steering shaft, but the pump hits the fuel pump on min extension; OK though when tightening the v-belt. The 66 pump is supposed to be around 800psi. I haven't tried it yet; will post later when I do. Loose hoses at rack are OK, I hope. The fitting on the back of the pump is standard 3/8" flare. I will cut off the Ford fitting, flare the end and try it. BTW, CVF uses the 1966 style PS pump with different internals made by LARS (same folks that made my new 1966 pump from CJ Pony parts at half the cost. Hope it works.

Thanks for your help,
    Jeff