BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  38
Likes Likes:  152
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Carl's 20th Anniversary #8690 - Graduated... 15,000 miles

Post Thanks / Like

Carl's 20th Anniversary #8690 - Graduated... 15,000 miles

Hello All, So I figured I better get this thread started before I get really into it and get behind!!!

So, if you've seen any of my previous posts, I had ordered a roadster from FF and was anxiously awaiting Sep 15th to get here as that was the expected kit completion date. On the same day that I placed that order, I also contacted Blueprint Engines and ordered my 347ci Carb motor and transmission. Blueprint also gave me a date of Sept 15th as their completion date. So, the "big" orders are done and out of the way, now I have 45 days +/- to get my garage ready. The preparation of my garage is documented on a couple of my other threads. Then, a post popped up on Facebook on the Factory Five Cars Rule page that 20th Anniversary MK4 was available and since the decision to get a roadster was done, it only became a matter of do I want to stick with my current order that included every upgrade except wilwood, that FF had to offer at 50% off .... or .... go with the 20th Anniversary option. My decision was difficult as the 20th was actually going to cost me about $3k more than my maxed out order at FF. I spent nearly an hour on the phone with FF discussing the actual order that delivered the 20th to it's original owner and comparing what I would be or not be getting. The list was short... I would not be getting the 2nd roll bar, power steering, trunk opening hinges & brake duct screen. But I would be gaining the 20th Kit... Decision made, and on 8/18/18 I traveled with truck and trailer to Raleigh NC, about 275 miles and picked up my #8690 Asp... number 8 of the 20, 20th Anniversary kits sold 3 years ago.

My build plans are as follows,

Mk4 with all the 20th Anniversary Kit Upgrades : Learn More Here

347ci Carberated Blueprint Motor with TKO 600 Transmission: Learn More Here

Heater/Defroster option

Modification I'm Planning Currently (Of course I'm always seeing other cool thing and this list may change)
    - Drop Trunk
    - EPAS Electric Power Steering
    - Cubby Hole between seats
    - Drop Battery in trunk area
    - Heated Seats
    - Hidden Bluetooth Audio system (maybe)
    And as I said, I'm sure I will see other cool options

So I'm going to end this post with this information and I'll get my build started in following entries.

I'm using this photo as my goal and final planned look for my build, it is a large poster that will soon be on the wall of my garage...
    The Planned Look for my 20th Anniversary #8690.JPG

This photo added on 12/24/20 to show the final look, compared to my original plan.
    IMG_1247.jpg
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 12-24-2020 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Added the final photo

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

2. Likes doddmoore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Official Inventory

So one of the scary parts of buying the 20th Anniversary kit from the original owner and not a complete kit from FF was not knowing what may or may not be still with the kit after 3 years. After several conversations with the original owner, I was convinced that everything should be there. Then when I got there to pick up the kit I can say that nearly all of my concerns were gone. Nearly every box was still taped up from the FF delivery 3 year ago. Only a couple boxes were opened so that the owner could send me some photos to confirm what I was looking at. So, together we did a quick inventory of everything as we loaded it on the trailer. This was not a detailed part by part inventory, but one that gave me the feeling that I was getting what he, and now I was paying for. Every thing looked good with only three things missing... Of course these were big things... the Chrome roll bar, The assembled side louvers and the gas peddle assy were all missing. The original owner is working with FF to get those items to me.

So fast forward 24 hours, 8/19/18 and I'm in my garage doing a much more detailed, box by box inventory... Not sure if I should be overwhelmed or not, but wow it's amazing the number of parts... The good thing is that the POL parts had all been received so I'm not waiting on those items. I placed all the boxes in box number order as I unloaded them from my trailer and then started with box 1A and progressed through box 26 and the POL boxes.

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1196.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1202.jpg
    This was the one box that I was most excited to finding and opening....

IMG_1207.jpg
    As I completed each box of inventory, they were all placed on shelves and marked on several sides with the box numbers easily viewed to help an make finding that "part" when I need it. So now all the boxes are off to the side of my garage and work area, out of the way until needed.

Next, I'll prepare for getting the Chassis and the Body out of the trailer and into it's new home.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like

Building the Chassis Dolly

Tonight, the inventory complete, I can start the process of getting ready for the Chassis and Body to come in out of the trailer. While it is a little thing, it was kind of rewarding looking back into my garage as I left it tonight and seeing this dolly coming together in the middle of the floor. Having purchased my kit from a private party that had built a previous roadster had a nice advantage. The original owner included his high rise body buck with the deal. So all I needed to do was build a Chassis Dolly to put the Chassis on once I get it into the garage. I plan to have this thing up pretty high to help my back... I decided to go with the Chassis Dolly that chrisarella had designed and posted the plans for (Click Here to See Those Plans ) I made some planned modification that will allow the bottom of my chassis to be at 21"+/- above the floor. Here are some photos I took tonight as I assembled the dolly. The wheels have been ordered and should be here in the next day or two. Then I will get the body and chassis into the garage and get started...

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

The modification I made include using a 4 x 6 in place of the 4 x 4 in the original plan and then a 4 x 4 will be added to the top of the 4 x 6 and securely fastened to each other with 7" lag bolts and wood glue between all parts will create an extremely sturdy dolly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah there are a lot of parts when you open all the boxes. Sounds like you’re off to a good start and one good thing is to shouldn’t have any backordered parts!
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats (again) on scoring the 20th anniversary kit. Couple of quick comments/hints: There have been some changes made in the three years since that kit was made. Nothing major (or bad!) but just be aware as you're looking at other build threads, asking questions, etc. Specifically the driver's side footbox is different now, the wiring harness has a new revision, and you probably have the Afco Racing radiator are three things I can think of. If you're going to use a cable driven clutch, also make sure you have the latest version of the mod to the Wilwood pedal box. It should pull in-line with the clutch pedal. Not off to the side like the early versions. I don't remember exactly when Factory Five made that change. You mention battery relocate to trunk area. I assume you know the stock location is the trunk area, so probably you mean putting it below the trunk floor? This may/may not work with the 2015+ IRS setup you have. Personally, I'd recommend looking at the Breeze front mount battery setup. With the other mods you're describing (dropped trunk floor, cubby) getting the battery out of the trunk area completely might be a good way to go. Obviously it's way past the number of days Factory Five asks to be notified about parts shortages. Hopefully they'll work with you on that. Chrome roll bar is a pretty big deal of course. I wouldn't sweat too much about the $70+ louvers. And I especially wouldn't sweat about the gas pedal. Highly recommend using the Russ Thompson gas pedal. It's a huge upgrade and not expensive. While you're at it, also highly recommend a mechanical linkage versus the throttle cable. Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-21-2018 at 06:20 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. I’m sure I’ll be in touch with you and many others. I also just discovered that the chrome bumpers that are suppose to be part of the kit are not here or even on the parts lists. I got the over riders but not the hoops. According to FF web site the were part of the 20th.
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Congrats (again) on scoring the 20th anniversary kit. Couple of quick comments/hints: There have been some changes made in the three years since that kit was made. Nothing major (or bad!) but just be aware as you're looking at other build threads, asking questions, etc. Specifically the driver's side footbox is different now, the wiring harness has a new revision, and you probably have the Afco Racing radiator are three things I can think of. If you're going to use a cable driven clutch, also make sure you have the latest version of the mod to the Wilwood pedal box. It should pull in-line with the clutch pedal. Not off to the side like the early versions. I don't remember exactly when Factory Five made that change. You mention battery relocate to trunk area. I assume you know the stock location is the trunk area, so probably you mean putting it below the trunk floor? This may/may not work with the 2015+ IRS setup you have. Personally, I'd recommend looking at the Breeze front mount battery setup. With the other mods you're describing (dropped trunk floor, cubby) getting the battery out of the trunk area completely might be a good way to go. Obviously it's way past the number of days Factory Five asks to be notified about parts shortages. Hopefully they'll work with you on that. Chrome roll bar is a pretty big deal of course. I wouldn't sweat too much about the $70+ louvers. And I especially wouldn't sweat about the gas pedal. Highly recommend using the Russ Thompson gas pedal. It's a huge upgrade and not expensive. While you're at it, also highly recommend a mechanical linkage versus the throttle cable. Good luck and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I’m sure I’ll be in touch with you and many others. I also just discovered that the chrome bumpers that are suppose to be part of the kit are not here or even on the parts lists. I got the over riders but not the hoops. According to FF web site the were part of the 20th.
    Missed those on mine as well. There were several 20th anniversary advertised items that weren't on any of the paperwork (shipped or backordered) that I had to point out to them, also including the door panels and roll bar grommets.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-21-2018 at 09:08 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting...sounds like there were some contend discrepancies among the 20 cars. I noticed that the Anniversary roadster that was recently delivered to me had the "bend 'em yourself" louvers (powdercoated white no less) and mentioned it to the owner. He purchased a set of assembled ones from **********. This particular car has full bumpers but I don't know if they came with the package or if he bought them separately. Just some little quirks that make your special editions even more special I guess!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Interesting...sounds like there were some contend discrepancies among the 20 cars. I noticed that the Anniversary roadster that was recently delivered to me had the "bend 'em yourself" louvers (powdercoated white no less) and mentioned it to the owner. He purchased a set of assembled ones from **********. This particular car has full bumpers but I don't know if they came with the package or if he bought them separately. Just some little quirks that make your special editions even more special I guess!

Jeff
    Actually, looking at my documentation for 003, the #15659 Assembled Side Louver Set was not part of the Anniversary package. I bought them separately. The Factory Five link in post #1 above does show everything that was part of the package. Including the full overrider and bumper set.

Post Thanks / Like

Out of the trailer and onto the chassis dolly

So ever have one of those days where you spend 20-30 minutes composing an update, only to want to close the photo you are looking at but hit the "X" for the whole page... Yup... I just did....

IMG_1226.jpg
    So, anyway, while I was waiting for my casters to arrive via FedEx (they did today) I was able to paint the chassis dolly. I used the red epoxy I had for the floor lines. I think it came out pretty good and at least initially seems to be a very hard finish... Should do very well.

IMG_1248.jpg
    So today I installed the casters and got it flipped over, it is heavy, I would guess 200 lbs +/-.

IMG_1253.jpg
    So now, I have to get the car out of the trailer, into the garage and then up onto the 21" dolly. I guess it is at this time that I should mention that I do just about everything by myself. I can get very creative as I did tonight...

IMG_1264.jpg
    Ok, the body/chassis and the dolly are all in the garage, now if I only had special powers and could just point a finger at it and have it raise up onto the dolly.

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1269.JPG
    So, with a small floor jack that only has a max height of 14" and a dolly that is 7 inches higher that that, I had to get very creative with blocks of wood, jack stands, a bit of balancing the car and moving very slowly... it is up on the dolly and it is so easy to move around in the garage.

Tomorrow I will begin documenting and marking the body and aluminum pannels and get ready for the big undressing... The body buck is still in the trailer, but I should have no problem getting it into the garage and the body onto it in the next couple days.

AND THEN The real fun can begin.....
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 08-24-2018 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Photo orientation change

Post Thanks / Like

Now the Real Work Can Begin!

Ok, so the body is off the chassis and up on the buck. Turns out I will be able to work with both of them in the garage at the same time but with a minor adjustment to the positioning of the car during the build. I can turn them both sideways in the garage and have loads of room all around both of them and should not have any problems. In fact, if wanted, I can actually roll the chassis over to my work bench and still have good room. (So back in March 2015 when I bought my home, this large detached garage was the only reason I bought the property, true story :-) I had visions for this garage and it is now becoming reality)

So I removed the body from the chassis with only myself and 3 tie down straps, or in this case tie up straps. With a lot of back and forth, front to back, a little at a time I raised the body up to my rafters and then was able to move the chassis out of the way and roll in the buck. Lowered it down and now its time to get down to business.

I took the advice of several on here as well as on the video from FF and marked my front and rear body (overrider) bolts, but I'm not sure of the purpose of this exercise as they were all exactly the same on the front and on the rear... Perhaps it will all make sense later.

I'm following EdwardBs build post as my primary go to, and a little from many other here on the forum as well as the series on Youtube from FF. Excited is an understatement.

IMG_1282.jpg IMG_1283.jpg IMG_1284.jpg IMG_1286.jpg
    IMG_1294.jpg IMG_1295.jpg IMG_1297.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Good start!! I'll be watching
    Higgy
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

Post Thanks / Like
    So back in March 2015 when I bought my home, this large detached garage was the only reason I bought the property, true story :-) I had visions for this garage and it is now becoming reality)
    Th house I'm in now, bought about 3 years ago. When I was house hunting, I knew what I wanted in a garage, but was kinda flexible on the house. My search filter only had "2-3 car garage". True stuff. Now very happy in the house... and the garage.

Good luck on your build... I have so enjoyed building mine.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like

The Beginner Begins... The "F" Panels

So now that the garage and chassis and body are all in the "let's get busy" position, Today I got an early start on what I hope to be a very productive day. And as the build manual says, you start with the front suspension and to do that, the "F" panels go on first. This job took me a little longer than I think it normally would have as I was spending a lot of my time preparing for the mess of metal shavings that I was expecting. I found good use for the 9,032 feet of brown paper that comes with your kit. I guess they know you will need it.

IMG_0161.jpg

First things first, I used some plastic clamps to hold the "F" panels in place while I got them all lined up. If that is possible. I found that on the DS, the panel and the diagonal support were not as consistent as was the passenger side. And on the PS I had to shave a little bit off one area to allow for the weld, but only slightly.
    IMG_0132.JPG IMG_0159.JPG

Once I got them lined up the way I liked them, I marked them with a "DRY ERASE" marker so that I could mark up the drill holes. Using the kit provide "tool" I then marked all of my drill points and went to the drill press and went to town. I also set up a small shop vac that I had with a little duct tape to my drill press so that 85% of the shavings went away immediately. The rest, I'll clean up at the end of the day. I also drilled out the rear edge with the 9/32s drill in preparation for the nutserts / rivnuts that EdwardB recommended in his build. I should be able to install those with the panels installed on the chassis when they arrive. EdwardB Build Thread I also cut out the small square at the top rear corner just as was discussed in his thread as well. Learn from the one of the best and trust it will all come together...
    IMG_0138.jpg

Once the panels were drilled, it was back to the Chassis to again line it them up and clamp them in place. I then drilled out the frame through the holes in the panels. I must say, the first couple holes into your new power coated chassis can cause a lot of double checking to be sure all was in place. As I drilled a hole, I immediately filled it with a clekos to insure all was in place and not moving around as I continued with the rest of the drilling. After all the steel chassis drilling was complete, I then removed the panel, gave it a good cleaning and I applied the clear silicon to the F panel using the drilled holes as my guide. I then place the panels up on the chassis and attached it with clekos all the way. I did the PS first, and allowed it to set up while I worked on the DS. Then I came back and began the task of riveting it on permanently.
    IMG_0164.jpg

So to do the riveting, I got out my brand new harbor freight pneumatic rivet gun and "Primed" it as the instructions stated. Gave it a test fire and it covered me with oil. I was somewhat expecting it from other posts I had read. I took it outside and fired it off several times until it seemed to have the oil spray out of it's system and then merely wrapped a rag around the area where the air vents out and zip tied it in place. This allowed for the slight oil mist each time I used it to be collected and not transmitted all over my pretty white power coat panels. The rivet gun worked perfect, but I found that it was best to remove the used rivet from the front rather than just pushing it through as it is suppose to do. If I did not do this, I could only get 3 rivets completed before I had to take the front off of the gun and release the spent rivet rods manually. I found that 70 PSI worked great with this gun.

So the "F" panels are complete,IMG_0166.jpg

Lunch time and then back to the actual front suspension...
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 08-25-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

First Full Day of Building Complete

OK, this concludes my first real day of actually working on the build and emptying parts boxes... that is a good feeling to see the stack of trash that I created today to get to the final product of the day. So I completed the front basic suspension. I say basic because I still have the sway bar and steering to get installed. But here are some of the lessons learned from today's work.

First thing was I completed the same Mod that EdwardB identified in his build thread for his 20th. This is the mod that fixes the bind that happens at the bottom of the double adjustable Koni shocks. The lower shock mount has to be modified with a grinder to prevent the problem. Learn more about this at EdwardB's post HERE.
    IMG_0172.JPG IMG_0173.JPG
    This is my completed modification, also my first use of POR-15. I like it!

Once that minor modification was complete, I installed the shocks. It seems that my shock mounts were very tight with the spacers. I had to grind a small amount off of one of the spacers to be able to get it installed. I actually think it would have been a perfect fit if it were not for the Powder Coat. Again, this was very minor.

Spindles, Hubs, Dust Caps, Shocks all installed. Done for the day.
    Drivers Side Front.jpg Passenger Side Front.JPG

Next I think I will be working on the Wilwood brake package.
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 08-26-2018 at 04:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It was a day of cleaning and preparing...

So I started out today thinking I was going to put together the IRS and Wilwood brakes all around. That did not happen. I started out with the front Wilwood kit, got it all ready to go and when I went to get out my safety wire, I found there was only about 5" left on the roll. Oh, also, the Wilwood disks are directional. So I stopped there for now as far as putting them on the car. But then I got the "make it look pretty bug." So I started with the bolts for the caliper mount. I thought that if it looks like it could rust, I'm going to wire wheel them and clear coat them with several coats of clear enamel. So that's what I did. Oh, then I broke open the Wilwood box for the rear and did all those bolts as well. Figured I would get them ready now.
    IMG_0185.jpg IMG_0187.JPG

So the "Make it Pretty Bug" continued with everything for the IRS. I started with the 3rd member, remember, it's been in the box for 3 years along with everything else. I spent some time with wire brushes and wheels on the drill along with the clear paint. The Photos show the before, during and after. Perhaps tomorrow I'll actually get started on the IRS install. I'm excited...
    IMG_0188.jpg IMG_0191.jpg IMG_0194.jpg IMG_0208.jpg

Next, or rather in conjunction with the 3rd member, I also started on the required modifications of the rear spindle knuckles. Cutting into a perfectly good, several hundred dollar part is scary, but after studying the IRS instructions as well as photos from EdwardB's built, I was confident I was doing it correctly. So, cut off the ear on the knuckles and drilled out the required hole from less than 1/2" to the required 5/8". Also cleaned up the casting lines on the knuckles along with the rough cut area. They came out pretty good... currently they have clear on them and they are drying and getting ready for a hopeful install tomorrow. I also found another use for the 9,394 feet of brown paper, I made a vice bib to catch the aluminum shavings created with the saws-all.
    IMG_0219.jpg IMG_0221.jpg IMG_0240.jpg

So with the addition of the POR-15 on all the steel parts and clear enamel on the cleaned aluminum, this is what it looks like. I'll get a final photo after everything is dry and I can move them for a better photo.
    IMG_0236.jpg
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 08-26-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, the IRS (at least it's not the tax people this time)

So today I started the IRS on my 20th Anniversary build. I started by trying to follow all the directions that I have in a supplemental instructional guide.
    IMG_1332.jpg
    Can anyone tell me if this is the most recent version of this?

I followed it and put together all the control arms and the toe arm, and laid them out to get a feel of what I had going on.
    IMG_0243.jpg

Notice I have my differential under there as well, just have it on a furniture dolly for the moment. And that was just a moment as next I moved all the control arms out of the way and started the task of putting in the differential. It took me about 20 minutes once I developed my plan of attack. Doing this alone I was planning to raise it up as other have done with straps or lift of some kind, but the upper trunk deck area has a plate in the way and I was not able to do it from above. So, I did it from below, I just balanced the differential with the shaft pointing up on my small floor jack and a 2x6 and raised it straight up into the hole, when it was high enough, I tipped it forward into the tunnel opening and let it set in place, raised up the back of it and slide in one of the rear bolts and got it to start to thread in. This was enough that I knew it could not fall out and then I lifted the front in place and got one of the front bolts to slide in enough that a rubber mallet could convince it to go all the way in. Then it was just a matter of using the jack to raise and lower ever so slightly to get the other two bolts in place.
    IMG_0244.jpg IMG_0246.jpg IMG_0253.jpg IMG_0250.jpg

So that is as far as I actually got tonight. I came a complete stop as I can not seem to find the rear sway bar mounting bracket that has to go on with the same bolt as the toe arm. I have a bag full of hardware for the IRS Sway-bar, but can not find the brackets anywhere. Perhaps EdwardB can remember where his were hiding with his kit???
    IMG_1330.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    You can usually find the most recent instructions here: http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/instructions/. Looks to me like Factory Five is doing a good job of posting updates as they are made. The latest Roadster IRS instructions are here: http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/cont...2-2015-irs.pdf.

I don't recall specifically where the rear sway bar brackets were in my kit. I think in the box with all the other 2015 IRS parts. But I'm not positive. They're fairly large steel welded brackets. Won't fit in that little plastic bag. They're pictured in the instructions, which probably you have. But this is from the same instructions directory: https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte...R-2015-IRS.pdf.

One other hint just in case it didn't catch up with your kit. Factory Five issued a technical upgrade to the 2015+ IRS a year or so after it was released. Maybe they sent to the original buyer of your kit. But something to check. I'm not sure what the issue was, but it was important enough they sent it to all buyers of the new (at the time) IRS. There are different cone spacers for the upper control arm attachment to the knuckle. Also large washers that go under the bolt head.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can usually find the most recent instructions here: http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/instructions/. Looks to me like Factory Five is doing a good job of posting updates as they are made. The latest Roadster IRS instructions are here: http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/cont...2-2015-irs.pdf.

One other hint just in case it didn't catch up with your kit. Factory Five issued a technical upgrade to the 2015+ IRS a year or so after it was released. Maybe they sent to the original buyer of your kit. But something to check. I'm not sure what the issue was, but it was important enough they sent it to all buyers of the new (at the time) IRS. There are different cone spacers for the upper control arm attachment to the knuckle. Also large washers that go under the bolt head.
    Thanks Paul, I'll look at these instructions and compare with what I have... and yes, I have the updated knuckle cone spacers and will be using them.
    I have also sent an email to Dave B at FFR inquiring about the brackets. Not sure if you saw my "visitor note" to you, but your PM is full and not excepting any new PMs

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Paul, I'll look at these instructions and compare with what I have... and yes, I have the updated knuckle cone spacers and will be using them.
    I have also sent an email to Dave B at FFR inquiring about the brackets. Not sure if you saw my "visitor note" to you, but your PM is full and not excepting any new PMs
    I checked again on the boxes for the sway bar parts. I have still have my #8674 box listings. There was a box 16. Had two pages of listings. One for 2015 IRS sway bar components, another for front sway bar components. The brackets in question were supposed to be in this box 16, but were zeroed out and on the POL. They came several weeks later.

I saw your message and cleaned up my PM box. Should be OK now.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are moving right along. It's looking great!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like

A Night of Preparation for a Bigger Day Ahead!!!

So today was a day of getting ready to work more on another day.

I'm on a work standstill as far as putting the IRS together pending getting the rear sway bar brackets that did not get shipped with the kit. A couple emails to FFR and David B and they are in the FedEx box and in route with expected delivery on Thursday, I'm starting to see a big Saturday coming up.

The list of things completed today include:
    - installed the new studs in the rear hubs. I actually used an old lug nut I took off of my trailer and a hardened washer, just like the manual said, then I used an impact wrench and pulled them in until they were just barley seated on the back, then finished them off with a 100 ft Lb pull with the torque wrench. I've seen where some people have them pressed in, the key to using the lug nut pull method is lubrication on the threads and the washer, if it can all slide well, it will pull them in without any problems IMO. I used WD40 and that seemed to work real well.

- Re assembled the rear hub assembly, I may have gone overboard, but even the bolt heads received a good wire brushing and several clear coats before being reinstalled onto the hubs. I think they look good and will look real good up on the car. I'm also hoping that any surface rust will be avoided.

- Assembled the rear Wilwood Brake rotors and hats. (Still waiting for the safety (lock) wire to arrive, should be here tomorrow. All 24 bolts have their loctite and have been torqued to the required 112 in/lbs.

- Cleaned up the IRS CV Axles. They were actually in really good shape and I did not want to do anything to them and cause problems in the future. I did see that the dust shield that is on the differential end was kind of bent up on both of them. I spent a little time on them and they are straighter now.

- Cleaned up and applied several coats of clear on the steering rack.

So now I have a bunch of IRS parts all laid out and ready to install. Just waiting on the bracket from FFR.

I also discovered that on the hiem joint end of the toe bar, the instructions says to install a 1/4" spacer and a 1/8" spacer. But my kit came with all 1/4" spacers and no 1/8" spacers. I'm going to have to find some 1/8" spacers as with the 1/4" ones, it will not fit. Little things won't stress me out... little things won't stress me out... little things will not stress me out... little things......

Here are the only photos I took today...

IMG_1339.jpg IMG_1340.JPG IMG_1344.jpg IMG_1345.jpg IMG_1346.jpg IMG_1347.jpg IMG_1348.jpg IMG_1349.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great!!
    Don't sweat the small stuff, there's plenty to do. I'm kinda the same way - I want to complete a sub-assembly then move on, but things get in the way.
    (Congratulations on paying attention to the rotor instructions - you didn't join the 112 FOOT pounds snapped bolt club!)
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    20 years in the Air Force as a jet engine mechanic, I hope I don’t miss something as inch pounds versus foot pounds. I just wish my safety wire would get here to see if I’ve still got it. I used to be the safety wire king.!r

Post Thanks / Like
    20 years in the Air Force as a jet engine mechanic, I hope I don’t miss something as inch pounds versus foot pounds. I just wish my safety wire would get here to see if I’ve still got it. I used to be the safety wire king.!r
    Yeah, I never heard of such a thing as inch pounds, I had to look it up when I started my build. Then there are the conversions, 112 inch pounds=9.3 Ft pounds and to make it even more confusing how about 9.3 Ft pounds=12.6 Newton Meters!

Post Thanks / Like

A little more prep work for this weekend

So today I received the Safety Wire, Rivnuts and most importantly the IRS Sway Bar brackets from FFR. The sway bar bracket look to be stamp cut out of thick steel and then bent and welded as needed. This left them with some pretty sharp edges that I took a grinder too and smoothed them out as well as ruffed up the surface a bit for the POR-15 to adhere too. I painted them up and left them hanging to dry as I took on the Wilwood brake safety wire.

Now, having been in the Air Force for a full 20 years, 11 of those as a Jet Engine mechanic, I have done a lot of safety wire on everything from F16s, B1 bomers, to little small gas turbines. I have won several, for fun, safety wire competitions... But last night, I did not have the skill that I know I did 25 years ago. But it was fun and if you look close, you will see only one continues safety wire for all 12 bolts. And that was completed on the first try without braking the wire and starting over. I also greased up all of the suspension parts in preparation of installation. This weekend the front suspension/steering and the IRS should all be completed. Fingers crossed.

IRS Sway Bar Brackets Before and After Paint Prep.jpg IMG_1380.jpg IMG_1382.jpg IMG_1383.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work on the safety wires. No fair having all that experience. My first time ever was when I did mine. FYI, in your picture of the rear sway bar brackets looks like you also have front sway bar brackets? Don't think you'll need those on your build. Your chassis should already have the front mounts installed. Those brackets are needed to adapt older chassis without the front mounts. I received them with my anniversary kit as well... Now in the scrap box.

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI, in your picture of the rear sway bar brackets looks like you also have front sway bar brackets? Don't think you'll need those on your build. Your chassis should already have the front mounts installed. Those brackets are needed to adapt older chassis without the front mounts. I received them with my anniversary kit as well... Now in the scrap box.
    Yes, I knew this, but forgot while I was grinding away... So now I think I have the beginning of an FFR Parts Wind Chime... Actually this is a second set of them I now have. FFR sent them with the rear ones...
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 08-31-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty Eventful Day.

First I want to thank FFR and specifically Tony who after understanding the full situation concerning my 20th Anv. kit missing the drivers roll bar made the decision to ship one out directly to me. Even though it has been 3 years since the original owner received the kit, FFR made good! What a Fantastic Company...

Then, about 4pm today, I received a very welcome and unexpected visitor. Dave Rulon from Tybee Island, GA (Savannah) AKA DadofThree. He took a quick 2 hour drive from his home town up to visit me and allow me to look over his "in work" yet driven, build. It was very awesome to be able to see one of these roadsters in person other than the one in my garage mostly in boxes. I'm even more excited and pumped to complete mine now that I had the chance to hear and see his Mk3.1 roll out of my driveway. Thanks again Dave for coming by, your always welcome.

He was also kind enough to take a couple photos of me with my nearly completed IRS.
    IMG_1397.JPG IMG_1396.JPG

As for what was accomplished on the build today. I was able to assemble the complete Independent Rear Suspension. During this lesson in life, I discovered that when something calls for a spacer, and you have said spacer, that doesn't mean that said spacer will actually fit in the area it is suppose to. I found that I had to use the bench grinder on several of the spacers for the shocks and sway bar in order to get them to fit in the brackets that are pre welded at FFR to the chassis. Be prepared to make those type of adjustments if you are starting your build. I think it is a combination of the very nice powder coat on the frame along with the guys welding the chassis together keeping extremely close tolerances.... In some cases I was able to spread the brackets apart just enough to get the spacers in place and then the 100ft lbs of torque just pulled everything back into place.

Here are some photos of the completed IRS. Tomorrow I will be installing all 4 wilwood brakes as well as I believe the manual has me starting the foot box/firewall area. Should be tons of fun!
    Drivers Side:
    zDS Rear IRS Side.jpg zDS Rear IRS.jpg zDS Rear IRS bottom.JPG

Passenger Side:
    zPS Rear IRS side.jpg zPS Rear IRS bottom.JPG

Sway Bar Mounts:
    zRear IRS Sway Bar mounts and Diff.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    First I want to thank FFR and specifically Tony who after understanding the full situation concerning my 20th Anv. kit missing the drivers roll bar made the decision to ship one out directly to me. Even though it has been 3 years since the original owner received the kit, FFR made good! What a Fantastic Company...

Then, about 4pm today, I received a very welcome and unexpected visitor. Dave Rulon from Tybee Island, GA (Savannah) AKA DadofThree. He took a quick 2 hour drive from his home town up to visit me and allow me to look over his "in work" yet driven, build. It was very awesome to be able to see one of these roadsters in person other than the one in my garage mostly in boxes. I'm even more excited and pumped to complete mine now that I had the chance to hear and see his Mk3.1 roll out of my driveway. Thanks again Dave for coming by, your always welcome.

He was also kind enough to take a couple photos of me with my nearly completed IRS.
    IMG_1397.JPG IMG_1396.JPG

As for what was accomplished on the build today. I was able to assemble the complete Independent Rear Suspension. During this lesson in life, I discovered that when something calls for a spacer, and you have said spacer, that doesn't mean that said spacer will actually fit in the area it is suppose to. I found that I had to use the bench grinder on several of the spacers for the shocks and sway bar in order to get them to fit in the brackets that are pre welded at FFR to the chassis. Be prepared to make those type of adjustments if you are starting your build. I think it is a combination of the very nice powder coat on the frame along with the guys welding the chassis together keeping extremely close tolerances.... In some cases I was able to spread the brackets apart just enough to get the spacers in place and then the 100ft lbs of torque just pulled everything back into place.
    I've put my threaded bar to work on this build multiple times. Matter of fact, I've had to use it to spread just about every bracket where something fits inside it. Only takes me a couple of minutes and everything has fit perfectly tight after its all assembled, but certainly something that is needed in the work flow.

Your build looks great!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

32. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok... Now I've seen it all - Safety Wire porn.
    Nice Work!!

Don't take this the wrong way, but you may have a hidden hindrance that you'll be fighting during your build - your aviation background.
    You are not dealing with a military-spec airframe or a jet engine. You're working on a car made up from 3rd-party component parts that weren't designed for each other. FFR has made the provisions to make them bolt together.

There will be some grinding, shaping, and probably some brute-force thumps with a "Chevy Tool" to get things lined up. My best friends during suspension assembly were two large drift punches and a rubber mallet to coax parts into alignment.

(I have a dear friend who spent 35+ years in Naval Aviation, and he's into old Buick Skylarks. I've seen him get downright apoplectic working on this stuff when parts don't slip together like a Swiss watch. He's expecting mil-spec, when he's dealing with a vehicle that was slammed together in 63 minutes in the pre-computer era.)

2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

34. Thanks speedfreak1211 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just loving watching another 20th go together and only because I 'be read Edwardb's thread more times than I care to admit I think you're missing a big flat washer on that upper "A" arm heim joint on the IRS. I'm thinking it was add to capture that point if the joint failes in side load. As I recall it was an update he received during his build
    That safety wire is pure mechanical porn. Keep up the good work
    Chris AKA Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    I'm just loving watching another 20th go together and only because I 'be read Edwardb's thread more times than I care to admit I think you're missing a big flat washer on that upper "A" arm heim joint on the IRS. I'm thinking it was add to capture that point if the joint failes in side load. As I recall it was an update he received during his build
    That safety wire is pure mechanical porn. Keep up the good work
    Chris AKA Gromit
    I will double check this. I did have the updated parts and instructions for that and followed them... I think.... Thanks for the look out!

Edit Update: Thanks Gromit, you were right and I have installed the missing washer, took all of about 10 minutes. Thanks again.
    IMG_1421.JPG
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 09-03-2018 at 07:59 PM.

37. Thanks DougB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Front Wilwood Brakes

So today I worked on several things so I'm going to share them in separate updates.

The day started with working on the front brakes. I followed the instructions that came with the Wilwood brake kit and for the most part, everything went exactly as instructed. Install the bracket to the spindles, put the centering ring on the hub, put the rotor on, put on and align the caliper, take off the caliper and install pads, reinstall caliper and that's where I left the brakes. I'll get to the lines and such during that part of the build. Both sides are complete, loctite and torqued.
    I had zero problems or issues, just spent a bit of time getting the caliper aligned over the rotor. Even that was fairly easy, the hardest part was reinstalling the caliper bolts along with the spacer shims in place, they just want to fall out every time you look at them.
    (only one problem that I had was that the Wilwood package of parts and stuff was missing the 4 washers for the Spindle to Bracket mount bolts. A quick trip to the hardware store solved that problem)

One note here, the rotors and the calipers are PS / DS specific, be sure you watch for the arrows...

Do not forget to install the centering ring, with the smaller diameter side out, the rotor will center on that.
    IMG_0258.JPG IMG_0259.jpg IMG_0260.jpg

Not all shims are equal... The 4 with the dot on them are all half thickness, they all look alike until you start measuring them. When you start, the instructions call for one thin and one thick. When I was all done, I have two thick shims on both sides and my rotor is centered within .005". Pretty happy with that!
    IMG_0263.jpg IMG_0265.jpg

Next was the install of the brake pads. You have to remove a small retainer snap ring. It was difficult to get the tip of my needle nose pliers to hold onto and pull out of the hole it was in. Then I figured out that all I had to do was push up on the brake pad pin the snap ring was holding in and it would push the snap ring out while I squeezed it with the needle nose. Hint, you may need to push the brake pad retaining pin into the brake pad holes a few times before you actually try to install them. Mine were tight with stuff from the manufacturing or something. But a pull in and out a few times make them slide in very easy.
    IMG_0267.JPG IMG_0268.JPG

Once you have the pads installed, it is just back to the rotor, remember to put your appropriate amount of shims and loctite on, torque it down and it complete.
    IMG_0274.jpg IMG_0271.jpg

So I will get to the fluid lines later in the build but until now, the front brakes are complete.

Post Thanks / Like

Firewall and Heater Defroster Preparation

So as I'm doing this build, I've been trying to follow the sequence in the build manual from FFR. At the same time, I'm following several different threads but specifically following EdwardB's. He jumps around a bit, mostly because he did not have all the parts while he was building and he has the experience of knowing what he can do without jeopardizing something that may be coming in the future of the build. I'm using that knowledge to vary a little from the build manual... but I'm staying pretty close to it for the most part. So, having said all this, the next subject in the build manual is the Firewall, so that is where I went next.

Another challenge for me is that with the 20th Anniversary kit having many panels powder coated white, they came in a box and not pre installed on the chassis. I did not have the opportunity to see them installed or pre mark them as I took them off, so it's all new to me. I'm not worried about it, I'll just figure them out as I go. So, lets get started with the powder coated Firewall is one of them, I started with a lot of protective tape to help me keep it clean and scratch free. In the build manual, it has a note; "those builders that plan to install the heater/defroster it is easier to cut the holes for that upgrade before installing the firewall". SO, I did just that. Using the template provide in the instructions, I followed them to the letter. Even broke apart the heater box and fan box and double checked everything.

Everything taped off and marked for engine side (kept me straight more than once)
    IMG_0278.jpg

So the instructions say to verify that the template and the actual parts align. The six mounting screw holes were a perfect match, but the two holes for the heater lines were off just a little bit. You can see the new center point at the tip of my pencil. I used a one inch wood drill bit to cut the larger holes out as indicated by the instructions and then my high speed drimel tool with a sanding drum on it to open it up the rest of the way to 1.25" I was very pleased at how easy the wood bit cut through the aluminum and made a very nice hole. I did drill a 1/8" pilot hold for it to follow. Don't let the torn tape fool you, the holes turned out to be a very clean cut.
    IMG_0279.jpg IMG_0280.jpg IMG_0281.jpg

Next I had to cut out the large air flow opening for the heater fan. The instructions suggested using tin snips, but even the photo of where they did that did not look like a good finished product. (I know, it will be hidden inside the heater, but I would know) So I set up a little 2 x 4 jig on my outside work bench that would allow my jig saw blade clearance but give me a very good support to hold the panel down while I cut it. It worked perfectly and I cut very slow so that I would have a nice smooth edge, mission accomplished.
    IMG_0282.jpg IMG_0284.jpg

So, now that the firewall is in place, the heater/defroster holes cut, I completed the process of drilling out and gluing/riveting the firewall in place. I then held the padded dash panel up in place and it is obvious the glove box will be really nothing more than the door. My hope is that when it is done, the door will still open and close and I can have my registration and insurance papers just inside for quick access. That little modification will be for another day...
    IMG_0294.jpg IMG_0291.JPG IMG_0293.jpg

After I completed the firewall, the next step in the build manual is the pedal box. So I found all the hardware and parts and took the metal ones out to the outside workshop and cleaned them off and shot them with some black spray paint to get them ready for tomorrow.
    IMG_0301.jpg
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 08-23-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You're Going To Be Kicking Asphalt Before You Know It!

Post Thanks / Like
    Heater:
    FFR/Vintage Air supplies a very nice template for cutting the firewall... except it isn't quite perfect. The holes for the inlet/outlet aren't quite in the right spots. The pic shows just how much "off" the inlet/outlet holes are. Measure twice... cut Once.

At least they're consistently wrong...

We'll have to keep checking on eachother on the glovebox thing... I opted for the blank dash - doing a variant of the SC layout - and I want to do a glovebox. Even if it's useless that large expanse of "nothing" on the right side would look funny IMO.
    Last edited by Fixit; 09-02-2018 at 06:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Pedal Box Clutch Pedal Interference Fix

Ok, so I know there are several different fixes for the Clutch Pedal and Chassis interference in the pedal box. I have read many of them and was convinced that there was no way that FFR would send out a kit that would have this problem and I just knew I would put mine together and not have any issue... LOL... I was wrong... So, taking what I had learned from many of you, I came up with a fix that I believe is perfect. I also believe in what EdwardB said yesterday about this being up in the bowels of the pedal box and will never be seen. But I still wanted it to be strong and be a clean modification. Here is what I did.

To start with, I identified just exactly where the pedal hit the 3/4" tubing. Then I drew a line that was parallel to the swing of the pedal. I then determined where I was going to bolt on my 1/4" thick x 3/4" wide and 4" long patch bar and drilled the patch bar, then used the bar as the template to mark the 3/4 bar. I then drilled out the 3/4" bar while it was all still connected. I wanted the firm rigid bar rather than after I cut it trying to drill it if there was flex. I then created a paper floor pan to catch the clippings and metal shavings as I used an angle grinder and hack saw to to the deed. I then cleaned up the 3/4" tubing, and the patch bar and put it all together. I used 1/4" x 3/4" long bolts with lock nuts. I used a small magnet to hold the nut inside the tube while I started the bolt into the threads. Then, I jammed a large flat screwdriver in between the side of the nut and the tube and was able to tighten them down. Shot some gray metallic paint on all of it and there you have it.

IMG_0305.jpg IMG_0308.jpg IMG_0311.JPG IMG_0312.JPG IMG_0316.JPG IMG_0320.JPG IMG_0324.jpg IMG_1403.jpg IMG_1404.jpg IMG_1405.jpg

43. Likes JDLSantos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pedal Box - Steering Rack - Clutch & Gas Cables

Today, after I completed the clutch pedal interference modification, I also installed the Steering Rack, Tie Rod Ends, Complete Pedal Box, Master Cylinders, Clutch Cable and Throttle Cable and Gas Pedal.

And before you tell me, I know about the upgrades that can be done with the mechanical linkage on the throttle and the hydraulic clutch option... I'm attempting to build this as close to FFRs build as I can. Some upgrades will be utilized, but as few as possible and still be a nice build. Building on a very tight budget. Perhaps some modifications will come in time, but for now it is what it is!

The rest of the items installed today were all completed following the FFR Build Manual (including installing and removing and installing and removing the wilwood pedal box about 30,000 times) so no real need to explain all of this. One minor modification was the clutch cable pass through tube. I opened up the 4 bolt holes to 1/4" and installed some stainless steel bolts to add a little bling to that area... you know, just in case someone looks...

IMG_0327.JPG IMG_0328.jpg IMG_0329.jpg IMG_0330.jpg

I'm thinking of creating a little safety net on the clutch cable connection to the quadrent. I'm thinking of drilling a small hole straight through the quadrant just above the cable at the end (pen is pointing where I think I will drill) and then just put a cotter pin through there. Not sure if the cable popping off is a problem or not, but I could see it happening and I think this would keep it down in place should it somehow catch a little slack at some point and want to flip up off of the quadrant.
    IMG_0333.JPG
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 08-23-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Rear Brakes/IRS Completed Fuel Tank Next

Today I was able to spend some time and went back to the IRS and Rear Brakes. I had missed putting on a safety washer on the top heim joint and I was able to get the rear brakes and E-Brake installed. No brake lines or cables as of yet. Actually that has not come up in the manual just yet. When I do get to the brake line, I'm planning to use the basic line that comes with the kit, but I'm going to clean it up with 600 grit emery paper and clear coat it. Almost looks stainless / chrome. I think it will look really good. Calling it a night early today as I have a big day at work tomorrow and really need to go to bed on time.
    IMG_1421.JPG IMG_1436.jpg IMG_1437.jpg

Brake Line with the normal finish and the slightly "polished" look.
    IMG_1432.JPG

According to the build manual, my next task is to install the fuel tank. I have all ready installed, loctite and torqued the couplings for the rear bumper/body mounts so that is done. Oh, I actually purchased Stainless Steel Bolts for the couplings. I figure they may be out of sight, but I don't want them rusting if I can avoid it.
    IMG_1417.jpg IMG_1420.jpg

QUESTION: In all the experience out there, is there anything else I should really consider doing before I put the tank up in place? Wiring, Brake lines, etc. Or are all of those easy enough after the tank is up in place?

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast