FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Door sills not setting down on frame

Post Thanks / Like

Door sills not setting down on frame

Just put body on for first time. Measured and bolted down at rear wheel wells as per manual. The door sills do not set down on the frame in that door area. Even when pushed down the fiberglass is not down flush against the frame. Am I doing something wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 60's Kid View Post
    Just put body on for first time. Measured and bolted down at rear wheel wells as per manual. The door sills do not set down on the frame in that door area. Even when pushed down the fiberglass is not down flush against the frame. Am I doing something wrong.
    It will never be right down onto the frame as one of the vertical variables is how you install the firewall relative to the frame. Regardless, what I had done with mine based on conversations with Tony Zullo and others is #1- line up and clamp the firewall on first, to get that aligned, then #2 - go ahead and add clamps to the top of the door sill area to pull it down and #2 - an additional set to pull the door sill area in to the frame (you may not use the original holes and that's OK and may even be better/easier). Once that is done the last thing to do is play with the rear end, up and down, to get the 45.5" measurement that is shown in the manual. I had done what you did originally and through various emails, conversations and this blog found the way I described above worked very well. You really need to do it in the order I have written it to get the best results for the fit but also to make it easier to fit the door panels once you get to that point. Another point is that the bottom of the body should be flush or just slightly below the frame, this is another validation that its close to be where it needs to be. Another tip would be to make sure the floor pans are not in during the initial fit up so you can use the frame for that vertical clamp (based on my experience )
    20180530_220231.jpg
    The good thing is that the body is fiberglass and can be repaired very easily unlike steel! Hope this helps.
    Last edited by AJT '33; 10-19-2018 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling

3. Thanks JimLev thanked for this post
    Likes JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have read that the passengers side should be 3/16 up off the frame or it will look off when done. Do you agree?

or up 3/16 higher than drivers side
    Last edited by 60's Kid; 10-19-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 60's Kid View Post
    I have read that the passengers side should be 3/16 up off the frame or it will look off when done. Do you agree?

or up 3/16 higher than drivers side
    I seet my frame perfectly level prior to doing the setup and alignment and both sides are the same, you can see some gap at the edge but that's expected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine came out with a 3/16 spacer on PS between fram and body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1932 View Post
    Mine came out with a 3/16 spacer on PS between fram and body.
    x2 on the 3/16" spacer - S/N #894. Keith