FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garage Refresh Completed. Bring on the Coupe!

Post Thanks / Like

Garage Refresh Completed. Bring on the Coupe!

I've had the first week of September circled on my calendar as the right time to order my Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe for a while now. The time has finally come, and thank you Factory Five for announcing the first sale on the Gen 3 Coupe this week! Today I placed my order. Delivery will be in mid/late November. Whoo-hoo!

This will be my fourth FFR build, and the first one that doesn't look like a Roadster. I've seen the Gen 3 Coupe in person twice now and given it a good looking over. I like what they've done with it, and am really excited to start this all over again. Still a fair weather car and will spend Michigan winters in hibernation. But with a top and HVAC, maybe add some comfort. But mainly I just enjoy the build process and this looks like an exciting challenge. I'm planning to take my time. Probably in the 2 year range. The 20th Anniversary Roadster isn't going anywhere though! It's staying right here.

I ordered the following:

Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe Complete Kit
    Gloss black powder coated chassis
    Body cutouts and Nose Scoops
    GPS Gauge Set
    31 Spline Coyote T-56 Magnum w/IRS driveshaft
    5.0L Coyote Install Kit
    Vinyl Roadster Seats. Will likely replace with high backs. TBD
    2015+ Mustang based IRS
    Double Adjustable Koni shocks
    Black Carpet Package
    Leather Steering Wheel
    Front and rear swaybar
    18-inch wheels (free with Fall Sale!!)
    Wilwood 12.88-inch brakes front and rear, black calipers
    Stewart Delivery

This is the first time I haven't picked up my kit in person. Not sure how well it would fit into my 14-foot SE (likely not too well) plus I really don't need the long drive and mess around with sales tax which wasn't the case before. I'm still working on the details of the actual build plan. Lots of TBD's that I'll decide about once the kit is here and I start mocking things up. I'm definitely doing another Coyote build, so that's locked in. The timing looks like it's going to be perfect to use the upcoming Gen 3 Coyote. I have a couple contacts at Ford and feel confident the timing is going to work. I've also decided to go with a T56 Magnum to get 6 speeds plus supposedly it shifts nice. The price is only slightly more than the Liberty modified TKO's I've used on my last two builds. A little bit bigger and heavier, but supposedly fits into the Gen 3 Coupe OK. These are the details I've got so far:

2018+ Gen 3 Coyote Crate Engine and Controls Pack
    4 into 4 straight tube headers (TBD)
    TBD bell housing (aluminum or QuickTime)
    Ford Racing billet steel flywheel
    Ford Racing / Centerforce dual friction clutch
    Tilton 6000 hydraulic throw-out bearing
    Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed transmission (2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1.00, .80, .63)
    3.55 2015+ IRS center section (alum or iron TBD)
    Space heater, defroster, and A/C
    Heated seats TBD
    Power steering (details TBD, consider electric assist setup)
    Manual brakes (kit supplied Wilwood pedal box)
    Full aluminum panel powder coat and Lizard Skin insulation
    Mustang style coolant routing and aftermarket expansion tank (to be confirmed)
    High finish interior including dash, gauges/switches, carpet, headliner, etc.
    Cruise control (maybe)
    Aftermarket wipers and washers (not Lucas)
    All LED lighting, footwell lights, trunk light, backup light
    Color and stripe (if used) TBD

The IRS, sway bars, shocks and brakes are all the same as on my current 20th Anniversary Roadster. Everything about that car is absolutely perfect, so I'm not changing anything there. I'll be doing heat and A/C for the first time. I'm not going to go crazy, but I want the interior to be nicely finished and detailed. Carpet, headliner, nice dash, etc. I'm going to decide about seats later as well. We'll see how that all works out. I'm going to try hard to use one of the electric power steering options. Eliminates some clutter under the hood plus not having to add a PS pump on the Coyote along with the A/C pump. There are several solutions out there, but they're complex and pricey. We'll see on that one too.

I'm also pretty certain I'm going to try a hydraulic throw-out bearing setup. I've done a hydraulic clutch on my last two Roadster builds, and love how well it works. Plus with the Wilwood pedal box it's easy at that end. But I'm leaning towards not doing the external slave and instead doing an internal hydraulic TOB. That's what the newer Mustangs use. I've heard nothing but good things about the Tilton 6000 TOB, so that's what I'm considering. Yes, it's risky because of major tear-down in case of issues. We'll see.

First order of business before the kit delivery is to finish getting my garage in shape. We've been at our new place 11 months now (hard to believe) and 99% of the work has been on the living area. Imagine that! But most of that is done now and I've started on the garage. I've changed the openers, patched and painted the ceiling, added LED lights, and now finishing up patching and painting the rest. Ahead is still getting my new 2-post and heater installed. Ordered those today too (expensive day...) then will get my Racedeck installed. I'm only putting it in two bays. Same tiles I had at our last house just with a few new pieces added since the space is a little larger. I'll post some pics when it's done. It's going to be a nice place to work I think. And only 6 steps down to my basement workshop.

I'm planning to do another build thread. Maybe it won't be as long or detailed as the last two, but we'll see. Need to sort out the photo hosting thing. My Photobucket pics are still showing in my other build threads, but only because I had purchased the lowest tier paid account in the past. They'll disappear at the end of next year if I don't pony up for their new pricing schedule, which isn't going to happen.

That's it for now! Fire away with ideas or suggestions on my build plan.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-03-2017 at 09:30 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!
    My first suggestion is to just throw any talk away of a less detailed build thread! Your others have set the standard. Quite frankly I am not sure how I would have built my car without reference to your thread. I understand you make a serious time commitment when you undertake a thread like that. I know myself and many others greatly appreciate the work you have done documenting it and hope you are willing to do it again with the coupe.
    I seriously think FFR should pay you to do a build thread. They probably realize numerous sales off of your thread alone!

The build sounds awesome. What is the latest on the AC and Heating? Last I saw FFR was developing something for that.
    Very interested to learn about the electric power steering as well.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations Sir Paul,

Can't Wait For You To Show Us How A Type-65 Should Be Done!
    I'll Be Following Your Build For Sure!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Paul
    Can't wait to see your progress and innovations. It'll be a beauty.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh this is going to be a love hate for me. I can't wait to see a Paul level Build of a Gen3 and build thread, going to love it. How ever I've always dreamt of a roadster and I fear once I see one built to the level we have come to expect from you I am going to be tempted. going to hate being distracted from my original dream but I've been tempted to change with this new Gen3

Good luck with it Can't wait to watch this build thread.

Chris AKA Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    This makes me happy. Gonna be a blast following along from the start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,

I will be following this build ... I've got a Gen 3 on order (delayed delivery due to moving)!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Paul!!! Anxious to follow and see your progress!!

I think you should paint this color with no stripes and we'd have twins in GLCC!!IMG_7808 (2).JPG

Jeff
    Last edited by jeffgrice; 09-09-2017 at 04:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This will be fun to watch

RE: the electrc assist power steering---you're talking pure electric at the shaft, not electric over hydraulic with a power rack (a'la Fast Freddie), right? See if you can find a similar one to take for a drive before committing. I drove a friend's FE powered roadster that had the electric shaft assist and did not like it at all (and you well know that I'm a huge PS proponent like you!). It was spooky---felt like you had to stop the wheel from turning any time you came off of dead center.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    This will be fun to watch

RE: the electrc assist power steering---you're talking pure electric at the shaft, not electric over hydraulic with a power rack (a'la Fast Freddie), right? See if you can find a similar one to take for a drive before committing. I drove a friend's FE powered roadster that had the electric shaft assist and did not like it at all (and you well know that I'm a huge PS proponent like you!). It was spooky---felt like you had to stop the wheel from turning any time you came off of dead center.

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Hmm. Yes, I'm thinking pure electric on the shaft and using the manual rack that comes with the kit. I was looking primarily at the Unisteer Electra-Steer setup, which has an option to control the amount of boost. I really doubt I'd have a chance to see or even drive another installation. Do you know any more specifics about the one you drove, including whether it had the increased caster for PS? I'd use the same hydraulic KRC setup as I have the 20th Anniversary Roadster in a second. It's perfect. But adding A/C makes things a little more complicated with the Coyote. Even that's a bit of an unknown because I haven't seen any details about my intended 2018 Gen 3 Coyote. Lots of unknowns at this point, but that's what makes it interesting!
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to assume you're not thinking about a front spoiler or splitter. But if you are I would look into the front hinges That John and Mark did in the #48 build.

The other area I'd be a tiny bit concerned about is the rear track width I'm thinking more than one of these builds has needed spacers on the rear wheels. I'm not convinced FF has the right length on the control arms and half shafts

But I'm more than confident you will work through any issues with an elegant solution again can't wait to watch

Chris aka Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    I just test fit the body on mine and it looks like 1 inch or larger spacers will be required. Running IRS and FFR 18x11 back wheels
    time to go shopping again
    David W

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    ...Do you know any more specifics about the one you drove, including whether it had the increased caster for PS?...
    Paul,
    Yes it was a Unisteer. The owner/builder is somewhat local to me and when he asked I advised him of the preferred alignment specs for PS but I do not know for certain if that's what it ended up with (he would frequently ask for advice or recommendations then go off his own way in a completely different direction). Notice that I refer to the car in the past tense---he crashed it hard twice; nearly killing himself the first time, rebuilt it then totaled the car the second time. After having driven it I have always wondered if the wonky steering was a factor...

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    I just test fit the body on mine and it looks like 1 inch or larger spacers will be required. Running IRS and FFR 18x11 back wheels
    time to go shopping again
    David W
    Thanks for the heads up. Something else to put on the list to check. With 1-inch spacers, I'm assuming you will need to use longer wheel studs than the ones provided by FF?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Paul,
    Yes it was a Unisteer. The owner/builder is somewhat local to me and when he asked I advised him of the preferred alignment specs for PS but I do not know for certain if that's what it ended up with (he would frequently ask for advice or recommendations then go off his own way in a completely different direction). Notice that I refer to the car in the past tense---he crashed it hard twice; nearly killing himself the first time, rebuilt it then totaled the car the second time. After having driven it I have always wondered if the wonky steering was a factor...

Jeff
    Wow, not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about that at all. May want to stick with what has worked so well on #8674.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am looking for bolt on spacers so I will have to cut the studs and if I can find them hub centric.
    David W

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the purchase, I'm a bit into the build, however mother nature has been a bit on the extra warm side this summer so I'm not as far as I would like to be. As for your choice " 3.55 2015+ IRS center section (alum or iron TBD)" The alum center sections in the 2015+ Mustang are used with the V-6 and Ecoboost 4cyl, the torque from the Coyote can break the case (pictures on the Internet), all the GT's have iron cases for that reason. I bought a rear end assembly from a GT with a Performance Pack, which includes 3.73 but has a Torsen diff. I have 3.55 in my roadster and my 2016 Mustang GT, which works well in both. Enjoy the adventure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    Congrats on the purchase, I'm a bit into the build, however mother nature has been a bit on the extra warm side this summer so I'm not as far as I would like to be. As for your choice " 3.55 2015+ IRS center section (alum or iron TBD)" The alum center sections in the 2015+ Mustang are used with the V-6 and Ecoboost 4cyl, the torque from the Coyote can break the case (pictures on the Internet), all the GT's have iron cases for that reason. I bought a rear end assembly from a GT with a Performance Pack, which includes 3.73 but has a Torsen diff. I have 3.55 in my roadster and my 2016 Mustang GT, which works well in both. Enjoy the adventure!
    Thanks for the comments. Yea, I know about the different IRS center sections, what they're used in, etc. I used a 3.55 iron case center section in my #8674 Roadster build. I was one of the real early deliveries of the new IRS design, and at that time FF was only recommending to use the iron case. Since then, they've said either iron or aluminum is OK. Just takes a different adapter. Since these builds are so much lighter than a Mustang, seems they decided it's pretty unlikely we'd be able to break the ears off the aluminum case piece. Having said that, if given the choice, I'd probably choose the iron case again just to be on the safe side. Based on other feedback I've received and further analysis, the 3.73 final drive might be a better combination for the T56 Magnum I'm planning. Unless I change the gears, which I'm not inclined to do, that means a Torsen setup like you have. Budget? What budget?

Post Thanks / Like
    My setup is basically the same, 2016 Coyote, t-56 magnum, with the 3.73. The Torsen diff is a bit different internally, and is pretty bulletproof. Here is a little video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEiSTzK-A2A The diff cost $750-1000, + setup etc. If it is 3.73 out of a 2015+ it will be out of a Mustang GT with Performance pack, or even Shelby GT350 and have the Torsen Diff. I found a complete rear suspension, including brakes from a 2015 Mustang on eBay in January delivered to Arizona for under $1200, I had one upright that was dinged up about $250 and I replaced the bearing in the upright $60 ea. and cleaned up the iron case and painted it black. Since you are running the 18in wheel you can use the brakes off the Mustang GT as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations!

Was the hose move centered on more garage space so you could do another build and still hang on to 8674? A man with a plan.

I look forward to following along.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    My setup is basically the same, 2016 Coyote, t-56 magnum, with the 3.73. The Torsen diff is a bit different internally, and is pretty bulletproof. Here is a little video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEiSTzK-A2A The diff cost $750-1000, + setup etc. If it is 3.73 out of a 2015+ it will be out of a Mustang GT with Performance pack, or even Shelby GT350 and have the Torsen Diff. I found a complete rear suspension, including brakes from a 2015 Mustang on eBay in January delivered to Arizona for under $1200, I had one upright that was dinged up about $250 and I replaced the bearing in the upright $60 ea. and cleaned up the iron case and painted it black. Since you are running the 18in wheel you can use the brakes off the Mustang GT as well.
    You got a great price for the IRS components. I'll be on the lookout for something similar. But the new stuff is pretty heavily discounted now, so we'll see what happens over the next months. I only need the center section and knuckles/hubs. I'm doing the big Wilwood brakes, same as on Roadster #8674 and mentioned in the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Congratulations!

Was the house move centered on more garage space so you could do another build and still hang on to 8674? A man with a plan.

I look forward to following along.

-Steve
    The main motivation for a new place was to get a single level ranch style house vs. the two story we had. My wife had to get off stairs with her arthritis. The fact that we found the perfect place, after nearly a year of renovation, that had a finished four car garage with a high ceiling was a huge added bonus. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

#8674 isn't going anywhere. Very happy with how it turned out and it's just a blast to drive. Rapidly approaching 1500 miles. Plus of course nice to have a spot for it.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-11-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul-

Congratulations in the Gen 3 purchase. Like many others, I look forward to following along on your build. I would also like to suggest that you consider posting your usual details for those that follow along. It has proven to be an excellent resource for many of us, and I am confident this would not be an exception!

I too am looking for a similar piece of good luck on my next house purchase! That, or I will just have to convince my wife that a detached 3 car garage is a moral imperative!!

Congratulations again!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be ordering my Type 65 later this year and as a first time builder am REALLY looking forward to this thread. My friend built a Roadster mostly based on Paul's previous posts, and it came out fantastic!!

Can't wait!!

brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,
    My Gen 3 Coupe order is due to arrive in 2 weeks. I am a novice so I have been reading as much as possible over the past few months. I probably don't have to tell you that there are a fraction of coupe build threads compared to roadster threads. Furthermore, there are few to no thorough build threads for the Gen 3, especially for your average builder. I plan to do my best to document my experience, but you are clearly the authority. No pressure...

Post Thanks / Like
    Im new here. Just ordered my coupe (and first FFR kit)2 weeks ago.
    Looks like you have some very detailed cobra builds. I will plan to subscribe to your build here as I suspect we will track closely at first.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go w/ the iron 355 if I were you. I put an al case diff in my FFR when I did the 2015 IRS upgrade. Drove me crazy w/ a clank on/off throttle. I have concluded that it is the al case that exaggerates the noise because, if I hit the case w/ a hammer, the sound is similar. Also my wife drives a 2015 Mustang w/ PP so it has the 373 Torsen. The 373 ratio is fine but the Torsen has a lot of drive line slop, same as the TruTrac I previously had in the solid axle in my FFR. Both are Torsen type diffs and, from what I found several years ago, it is common knowledge that they have excess slop. Another subject, I am quite satisfied w/ the Mustang brakes that came w/ my salvage parts. Saved a lot of $ and work great. They have a built-in park brake but these new calipers are a much better design than the old 95+ calipers. BTW, like others I will look forward to watching your build.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the encouragement guys! It's much appreciated. Like I was excited enough already about the build. You twisted my arm. I'll do the build thread and we'll see how it goes. I'm planning to do a lot of things that has worked for me with the Roadster builds. But I know there are a lot of differences.

The Wilwood brakes are a done deal. I'm not going to mess with the formula that is working perfectly in #8674. They look great and stop very well. Wasn't sure I would like manual brakes, but they're fine.

I've been doing some research on the Torsen diff. Seems a bit of noise is "normal." But still lots of discussion about it. As I mentioned before, the 3.73 ratio looks like a great match for the T56, so kind of leaning that way. But still plenty of time to change my mind. Found this video that explains how the Torsen works. Pretty interesting! https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=JEiSTzK-A2A

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, Paul! I wondered how long it would be until you started another build. Just don't forget to swing by the Roadster forum every now and then and help out the newbs like me!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    EdwardB said, "I've been doing some research on the Torsen diff. Seems a bit of noise is "normal." Yes it definitely is normal. It's just a case of whether you want put up w/ it or not. When my TruTrac wore out, I replaced it w/ a standard Ford lim slip unit w/ CF clutches. Made the car so much nicer to drive normally. Maybe PaulG will comment on this since he has it in his FFR.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    You will be very happy with the T56 Magnum. I put one in my Miata, which has a 525hp LS3 crate engine (465 rwhp) and routes power to a Getrag diff. with 3.72 gearing. Yes, the 5.6lb/hp ratio does just fine!
    Though the Magnum is a stronger transmission than previous editions, the gearshift clicks into gear when shifting as though it's being sucked into place.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Is an Eaton Sure Track style differential an option for the independent 8.8 rear end set up?

https://youtu.be/lZmsY2YvVsc
    https://youtu.be/TPBdbGO0-fE

The MOSER TSD-500 straight axle has a similar setup, and it is quiet, but don't know if it's an option for the 8.8 IRS pumpkin.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-18-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Is an Eaton Sure Track style differential an option for the independent 8.8 rear end set up?

https://youtu.be/lZmsY2YvVsc
    https://youtu.be/TPBdbGO0-fE

The MOSER TSD-500 straight axle has a similar setup, and it is quiet, but don't know if it's an option for the 8.8 IRS pumpkin.
    I'm not aware that anything other than the Ford supplied Torsen will fit into the 2015+ Mustang center section. I'm not going to try to reinvent the wheel here. If I do end up with 3.73 gearing (still considering) and it's the Torsen version, I'm not worried about it. They can apparently be slightly noisier in certain conditions than a clutch type. But there's a huge difference in the interior noise of a Mustang and a Type 65 Coupe. I've driven a new Mustang GT, and even with the piped in engine noise, it's relatively quiet. Especially compared to our builds. I'm not expecting it would be noticeable in the Coupe.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-18-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,

This is awesome and I can hardly wait for your build thread!! You are a true master and we will all anxiously await each post. Since you asked for suggestions though... What about antilock brakes and or airbags? As a trauma surgeon I can tell you that these innovations have saved countless lives over the last 40 years. Its a bit of a selfish request because I'm interested in installing them in my MK4 build and need guidance.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    Paul,

This is awesome and I can hardly wait for your build thread!! You are a true master and we will all anxiously await each post. Since you asked for suggestions though... What about antilock brakes and or airbags? As a trauma surgeon I can tell you that these innovations have saved countless lives over the last 40 years. Its a bit of a selfish request because I'm interested in installing them in my MK4 build and need guidance.

Mark
    Thanks for the generous comments and encouragement! ABS has been done by some builders, so there's some experience out there. Would require something other than the standard Wilwood balance bar brake setup though. I haven't seen any reference to airbags in these builds and frankly would be skeptical if I did. I don't want to turn this thread into a debate on the topic. But I spent most of my career in the automotive industry and worked for some of the largest suppliers of these components. I have personally observed the amount of R&D and testing that goes into these products and how they're designed and configured for specific automobiles. I don't have either in the build plan for my Coupe. While properly installed these may have some merit, I'm satisfied that there are enough differences (chassis construction, seat and restraint systems, typical use, etc.), especially with the Coupe and the full cage, that reasonable safety is provided. In the end though these are custom performance oriented cars. There is an element of risk that requires extremely careful and observant driving practices.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-19-2017 at 07:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Every awesome! I am looking forward to seeing your build. Sooooo -- how many of them jackets ya got?
    Ordered Type 65 Complete Kit Aug 29, 2012 - The 50-50 $ale!
    Standard Width IRS; Halibrands - 17x9, 17x10.5
    Kit Arrived: Oct 9, 2012; Build Started: Oct 28, 2012
    WordPress: http://wayne-yoshida-kh6wz.com/
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/waynetyoshida
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kh6wz?feature=results_main

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
    Every awesome! I am looking forward to seeing your build. Sooooo -- how many of them jackets ya got?
    Thanks. No jackets so far. I've only seen the pics and hoping I don't need one. But we'll see.

BTW, to the poster, who I won't name, who thinks I'm trying to take credit for a Coupe Coyote build like it hasn't been done before, you couldn't be more wrong. I apologize to anyone who may have gotten that impression. I'm excited to get my hands on a Gen 3 Coyote if possible. But I'm not expecting it to be significantly different than before. There have already been multiple Coyote builds including at least two from Factory Five, John George, the incredible dual turbo build headed to SEMA, several build threads, etc. I'm learning all I can from those and give them all the credit in the world for leading the way. We all learn and contribute as we go. That's how this community works. The post has been deleted, but wanted to respond anyway.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-23-2017 at 04:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a mentioned in the first post, I need my garage workshop to be ready before the Coupe is delivered. Drywall repair, painting, and new lighting are all finally done. My new Bendpak XPR-10S-LP 2-post lift arrived at the freight terminal and I picked it up there. All 1800 lbs. SE to the rescue again. I was able to take the pallet apart and pick it out of the trailer one piece at a time.

Completed the pre-assembly and staged for raising.

Three of my good buddies from the local Cobra club came over and the four of us were able to get the columns standing and the bridge in place. Wasn't too hard with enough help. Surprisingly, getting the bridge up and installed was the hardest part.

With everything positioned, drilled the twelve 3/4-inch holes in the concrete and set the anchors. Confirmed the garage floor as just over 5 inches thick (lift spec calls for minimum 4 inches) and VERY hard. The installation is very solid. Then installed my RaceDeck flooring. Today I get the last pieces in, not showing in this picture.

Next up is to run the 220V power and complete the lift assembly. Then hang and hook up my new heater. Some smaller details after that but making good progress. Most of October is going to be taken up with family stuff and travel. But I should be ready in time.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-23-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to watching your build. I'm heading up to Factory Five this coming weekend to look at the coupe (and other cars) in person. I've built an 818 and now want to build a coupe. What is the timeline for the gen 3 coyote crate motor release?
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nkw8181 View Post
    What is the timeline for the gen 3 coyote crate motor release?
    First or second quarter 2018. Depending on who you ask. It's in development right now. I'm hoping to get another update in the next few weeks. If it hits this time window, fits my build schedule just fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast