FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I'm baffled on my rear brakes

Post Thanks / Like

I'm baffled on my rear brakes

Ok, I have to admit....I'm baffled.

My donor was a 2002 so I am using the rear 2002 hubs and spindle assembly. I ordered the 2006 rear 2 piston calipers which nave not arrived yet. I removed all the parking brake stuff. Now when I mount the 2006 rotor and tighten it down with the lug nuts (even before mounting the rear wheel) the rotor locks the hub right up. Unless I space it out with washers, it will not rotate? I measured the backspacing on the 2006 rotor and it matches that of the oem 2002 rotor. When I put the oem 2002 rotor on it also locks up? What am I missing? Is there something within the guts of the parking brake that backs the rotor off? I can't figure out why it is locking up? Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    Is there something within the guts of the parking brake that backs the rotor off?

Part Number 29 above. "Adjuster". Just back it down to it's shortest.
    Fast Cars, Fast Women, Fast Haircuts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rasmus, he removed all that stuff. I have seen where the dust shield is rusty and band expands and causes things to jam up.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the axles installed or out. If they are installed you may have a seal in backwards (the outboard side outer). Mine would lockup when I torqued the axle nut. Tightening the wheel may have a similar effect.

Post Thanks / Like
    No axles installed yet

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with Mechie3 answer in post in post 3 above. I had one backing plate or dust shield that scraped badly when I tightened the wheel on.
    Loosen up the lug nuts until you can turn it, then you can tell what is causing the problem.
    BobRotorRub1.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-05-2014 at 08:59 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up grinding down that edge on the rotor that goes against the backing plate a little bit.