Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Road & Track eval of the 818R

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Road & Track eval of the 818R

The July issue of Road & Track Magazine just landed in my mailbox. Here are some fun bits that I just read! The crew is pleased and we're DYING to start shipping these cars and taking over the world of stoplights and racetracks!

"It rips the tires loose in pit lane on a whisper of throttle. Forget the WRX. Forget every street car you've ever driven. This is something else."

"The 818 explodes down Gingerman's front straight. This isn't the fast you get with a 911 Turbo or a Corvette, that sense of mighty power overcoming considerable weight. It's the whoa of a linearly accelerated roller coaster. Second and third dissapear in a rush as the rear end oscillates. I find myself short-shifting just to keep the car straight. It's a genuine thrill, and even if you never took your 818 to the track, the joy of warping between stoplights would keep you occupied for months"

"It takes a few corners for my brain to catch up to how the car handles. You think a Mazda Miata is light? The 818 weighs 400 lbs less than the first generation Miata, it rolls on tires 50 percent wider. Turn-in is neck-straining at high speed. On the first lap it feels like the limits are too high to reach, but once you reach them, the 818's a true sweetheart, pushing the front predictably before uncorking its tail in a lazy slide."

Jack Baruth, Road & Track magazine and Grand Am driver.

Metrics tested/measured:

0-60 3.8 seconds
    1/4 mile 12.4 seconds
    Road Holding 1.12 G*
    curb weight 2012 lbs. **
    power: 270 rwhp, 300lb ft @ 4300 rpm

* Tires were DOT legal race tires.

** a note about weight in the article as this had everyone here concerned and we had weighed the car almost 100 lbs lighter. The magazine FILLED the large capacity fuel tank to the top as is standard for all their curb weight tests (ugh! that's 13 more gallons and +91 lbs more than you'd routinely drive or autocross with). Further the 818R cage (+22 lbs), fuel cell mounting hardware/brackets (+6 lbs), paint (+26 lbs), wheels (+16 lbs), and heavy battery (+20lbs) account for another +181 lbs, add in the street seat, carpets, and windshield and we figure the street car should be right in the mid-to-low 1800 lbs range. We will have the street car in the showroom ON SCALES for the Open House!

Dave Smith
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Now THAT's a product launch!
    Coupe #497 delivered 7/29/10. Engine in on 10/1/10. Pushcart on 10/4/10. First start on 12/01/10. First go-cart on 12/31/10. Finished and on the road as of February 2012.
    Coupe Body Buck Plans - My Spray Booth - Painting Lessons Learned
    Build site: www.bamacoupe.blogspot.com
    Lots of build photos and some observations: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53614858@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Holy Smokes! I gotta have it!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Exciting for all!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    guess I'll be buying the July issue of R&T
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like these quotes a lot as they sum up the results of two years of very very hard work by our talented team...

" The 818 offers a combination of virtues previously unavailable at the price. For the average WRX-driving track rat, schooled in infinite understeer and benign traction, this thing will be a revalation. For everyone else, it'll just be a hell of a lot of fun!"

"Feels durable, like its been conditioned to take abuse"

Oh yeah!
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job Dave and team.

Can't wait to get mine in November or hopefully sooner!!!

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    June 15th cannot come fast enough
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't get a much better endorsement than that!

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    AWESOME. But how does a paint job weigh 26 lbs?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job all at FFR. I can see all the hard work paid off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    AWESOME. But how does a paint job weigh 26 lbs?
    maybe that metal flake is really heavy?
    dunno, paint is generally 10lbs a gallon

Start working on that coupe Mr. Smith!!
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Exactly... like 11lbs for a gallon of enamel, and there's no way this car needed a gallon and a half of paint/clear each. No matter though, I'm too excited to be critical.

I'm at the hospital now waiting for my baby boy to arrive. So much awesome for one day. Hope the gift shop has Road and Track!

Post Thanks / Like
    The waiting to get my kit is going to kill me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The weight of the car is really important and we've worked very hard to make sure that the things that matter (like chassis etc) are strong/durable/tough. Paint is estimate based on the prototype mold shapes that the car was made from for primer, paint and some filler (not needed on production paint free panels) and lots of clear as we were showing the car at SEMA. Also the wheels were pretty heavy, maybe 4 lbs each too high. The best idea yet is to drive the 818 into the Open House and onto waiting scale pads to show the driving weight of the car. I am confident that the design has met its goals and we can celebrate for just a bit and then gear up for the last stretch before production. Nate was in packaging all day going over packlists, chassis assembly is getting geared up for that stage when the frames arrive back from powdercoating, we're all just doing our jobs to make sure we are good to go on the 15th.

Also a lot of guys have asked about the production schedule. We're still working on it and Jason will be in touch shortly as he is the master of the schedule.

Dave
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    The weight of the car is really important .../

Dave
    So, uh, Dave?

Any truth to the rumor that the production car will be called a 912.6?

PS I know, I'm evil. It's a JOKE people!!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just can't wait. You guys are amazing. From paper to full scale production in less than two years? crazy. Keep up the good work.

Can you make the weigh in a contest/raffle? Guess the exact number and win a ...?
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 05-28-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave, you guys are awesome, I am a subie guy at heart and you guys just made me fall in love all over again. My date of august or hopefully sooner can not come fast enough
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 05-28-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

The 818 and track results prove what a motivated team with the right tools, experience and motivation can accomplish! Congratulations to all of Factory Five on the spectacular results. I am excited to get my 818 home this fall! You guys ROCK!

Thank you for all you have done for us!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I just go to bed now and not wake up until Dave calls and says come get your 818R?
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread
    PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, PADI TecRec Gas Blender Instructor, Operations Manager - DNS Diving, Grand Cayman

Post Thanks / Like
    This is out of control awesome!! Everyone at Factory Five should be over the moon!! What an amazing effort by everyone, and I can't wait to see the build begin!!

You guys ROCK!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thats a GREAT idea (guessing the weight at the Open House!)... We could do a contest and the winner gets something really cool and maybe we could donate all the money to the One Fund or the CF Foundation.

btw: the guys reminded me that the street car won't have the full fire suppression system that's in the 818R (and didn't weigh that). One of the toughest things is knowing how potent this little racer is and NOT going all nuts with race plans right away and focusing on quality of production launch and all the things that are so vital. We'll have to rely on Presley and Stuke for the track press!

We are going to try and do a few things to the blue 818R before the GRM Magazine Ultimate Track Car Challenge and see how it stacks up to the really fast comp cars out there.

Dave
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm loving these reviews and really regret not being an early adopter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good work Dave and FFR team, can't wait to start building mine in only a few weeks!

Post Thanks / Like
    0-60 3.8 seconds
    1/4 mile 12.4 seconds
    Road Holding 1.12 G*
    curb weight 2012 lbs. **
    power: 270 rwhp, 300lb ft @ 4300 rpm

WOW! I kid you not when I read that all I did was go "WOW!"
    I've seen the pictures, watched the videos but when you see the numbers it's like the period at the end of a sentence or in this case
    more of an exclamation point.

Post Thanks / Like
    The July issue is available thru iTunes

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Send me mine NOW Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The funny part about the article is that it was just 40°F (which hurt the skidpad G numbers) and was before the second round of track testing. The car was noticeably faster and more balanced after the R&T article was written.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure glad I pre-ordered the week of the SEMA show! With a road test report like that, I'm betting that FFR is going to be SWAMPED with orders after the magazine hits the stands!!! Just WOW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    I'm sure glad I pre-ordered the week of the SEMA show! With a road test report like that, I'm betting that FFR is going to be SWAMPED with orders after the magazine hits the stands!!! Just WOW!
    That thought came to mind and made me smile because having met some of the people at FRR you want to see them do well.
    Looking forward to seeing Dave Smith's face on the cover of Forbes Top 500 in a couple years!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just read the full article on my iPad. I can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Dave and the rest of the FFR team, it's got to be great to have independent sources verifying what you guys have known all along (and well a lot of people here) This is going to be a sick little car.

Now I'm starting to feel really torn. I REALLY want to hold out and see what comes of a potential coupe/targa/hardtop....BUT I'm starting to get anxious and I think on June 15 I might just break down and get onto the queue before I'm waiting 3 years for my spot. Can't wait to see the builds start happening! Wonder when those hit news stands...

Post Thanks / Like
    Road & Track was in my mailbox this afternoon and there was smoke coming out! An amazing article with lots of praise and no negatives, as Dave quoted above! An incredible car from an incredible American company! And, congrats FFR on getting this huge PR at a perfect time.
    Now, I've got to continue polishing my WRX steering rack for my baby's August arrival.
    Pete
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!spoiler alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Here is a link to the R&T article. Don't follow the link unless you want to spoiler your own enjoyment of reading the hard copy!!!

LAST CHANCE!!!!!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/first-dr...?click=main_sr

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't think that's the article. I think that was a teaser. None of the quotes Dave mentioned above are in that online article...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!spoiler alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Here is a link to the R&T article. Don't follow the link unless you want to spoiler your own enjoyment of reading the hard copy!!!

LAST CHANCE!!!!!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/first-dr...?click=main_sr

Ray
    That's fun reading, but I don't think that's the full article -- just the teaser that has been out there for a month or so.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    I don't think that's the article. I think that was a teaser. None of the quotes Dave mentioned above are in that online article...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    To put things in perspective
    0-60 in 3.8 is Ferrari F430 fast $187K
    12.4 is how fast the first gen Lamborghini Gallardo did the quarter $175K
    1.12 g's on street tires is what the Nissan Skyline GT-R Spec V did (with the help of 3 computers) $160K

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast