Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2nd NASA NW Event Finished

Post Thanks / Like

2nd NASA NW Event Finished

Still only one in FFR class, Steve had family issues to deal with so he did not make it, there were several Cobra's running HPDE, FFR from CA (they came up for the weekend) and SuperPerformance (local). Turn out was great along with the weather, everything ran on time, no real issues. After a few years of not having access to NASA my daughter completed her Time Trials license (we left Texas just as she was finished her first 2 Time Trials events) so she is happy and had a great time.

Car ran very well, still have oil pressure issues so no idea, may be thinking an electrical issue since I had my rev limiter come on when only running 2K, had oil pressure drop to ZERO several time for like 10+ second then bounce up, same with fuel pressure. No oil leaks or blow by (yeah). Last race something went wrong with clutch as I had about only half a pedal, very hard to shift and missed several shifts and down shifts and last 2 laps were tough. Set a personal best and a personal worst over the weekend.

NASA staff, instructors, workers and corner workers were great, very well done event. They added a "drifting class", was fun to watch but got old. These guys would eat up a set of rear tires in one 20 min session.

I'm fat, bloated, pulled on scales @ 2680 and some strange corner weights of low 500s in front and mid/high 700s in rear (20 gals of fuel and me @ 190 lbs)
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 06-03-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job Tony! So, I do have a question, why are you running 20gal of fuel? all you need is enough to finish that session, Im using 16gal/hr, so 8gal/30min would be enough
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johngeorge View Post
    Nice job Tony! So, I do have a question, why are you running 20gal of fuel? all you need is enough to finish that session, Im using 16gal/hr, so 8gal/30min would be enough
    I was having issues with the fuel gauge sender and thus had a full tank because I was checking it out empty and full. So when I pulled the car off the trailer the NASA folks wanted me to check out the scales and my tank was full for practice session. I had to order a new sending unit as this one seems to have gone bad, as I could measure it out of tank and get readings of anywhere from 10 to 27 ohms empty and full (in a cylinder of fuel was anywhere from 150-300 ohms and when in the fuel cell was always reading past 180 ohms. For some reason Fuel Safe bent by sender to fit in tank and it seems it could have just been cut to a little under 9" as the others I have seen are straight and about 1/2 inch off the bottom of tank. Normally I run about 7 gals of fuel for any session (I keep 2 gals in cell and always add a 5 gal container before I go out).
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    As for the clutch issues a few people have found that the new setup over heats the cable and it stretches. You have to move it higher.
    2012 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    2011 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    Race page - http://www.mh-motorsports.com/race.shtml
    Team Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/MH-Mot...s/264814350042

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhoward1 View Post
    As for the clutch issues a few people have found that the new setup over heats the cable and it stretches. You have to move it higher.
    I put it up on stands last night and took a dive under and found that the cable had either stretched or the adjusting nuts backed off as there was play in the cable not allowing clutch to engage all the way, so will look at moving it and taking the slack out of it. Good thing it happened with only 2 laps left to go as it was hard going.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony, you might want to try some Lock Tite on the adjusting nuts. Have fun, Ed