Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1965 racing garb

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

1965 racing garb

As the 50th anniversary of the Daytona Coupe approaches I was thinking of photo and video production opportunities that would recreate the era. Where am I to find the open face helmets, snap-on brims, and goggles that we see in photos of Dan Gurney, Bob Bondurant, Ken Miles, and other drivers of the period? I made a brief search of ebay and found nothing that would satisfy the requirement. I am not a Hollywood producer and I am not about to spend a lot of bucks on reproduction or acquisition of sports memorabilia of the period, but I think local news media could be persuaded to provide coverage of clubs and activities that celebrate American achievement in international racing. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Autexican-

Check with a few car or racing museums. They might be willing to loan you some equipment for your purpose. Likewise, they may have excess of these things sitting in a warehouse somewhere, and would be very happy to let you use it. You may have to provide a little quid pro quo, but I would at least consider it. Nice idea, and good luck!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I have seen some of these helmets and goggles coming back in to style. Check with the motorcycle mail order companies. And they're rather inexpensive. Some of the same helmet styles are also available with some wild paint jobs. A can of Krylon can fix that.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like

retro racing garb

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    Actually, I have seen some of these helmets and goggles coming back in to style. Check with the motorcycle mail order companies. And they're rather inexpensive. Some of the same helmet styles are also available with some wild paint jobs. A can of Krylon can fix that.
    Thanks guys. Bob seems to have found the answer. If anybody else is interested the company in the following link seems to have what is needed. They even have clearance items!

http://retrobikegear.com/index.html

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks fpor the link, great stuff!!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a pair of the old-style bubble goggles that are still available from many on-line sources and an old open face helmet with a snap-on sun visor that I bought a few years ago on ebay. I painted it to match the helmet in a character in the movie "Grand Prix." I used to keep the goggle's hanging from the rear view mirror of a '65 Mustang vintage racer I built and would leave the helmet on the seat at car shows. I plan on doing the same with these props when my FFR is done.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074