Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RM1Sepex Build Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    back to it today

pulled apart the axles, my aftermarket fronts wouldn't pop apart on the outside... I used a bandsaw, then a lathe to clean up the stub axles...

The inners look like they are supposed to... waiting for axles, fingers crossed re splines matching

Steering rack mounting, 05-07 rack The manual shows the bracket on the top and specs 2.25 inch bolts
    we got 2 inch bolts if you place the bracket on the top of the frame bracket the distance is much farther from the frame than on the other side.

I ground the arc of the bracket to fit the rack (about .030 too small) and placed the bracket underneath as Mechie showed in his thread, it is still too high and the bolts too short. I also made up some bushings and ground off the tab so that it just clears the fitting.
    I made mine 1 inch as that should put the rack approx. the same distance from the frame on both sides. The arc is still too high and the bracket tilts as you tighten it. I measured the distance for the bracket to sit flat at .200, thankfully two 1/2 washers is .199 thick! I bolted it all together, and it seems to sit well, nice and tight and pretty square with the other side. Now I need to go get some 2 1/2 long 7/16 bolts and paint everything up.

I also installed the clutch master cyl. It did pull in the aluminum with my 1/4 gap from the aluminum firewall to the steel frame but it pulled it together nicely. I can see where a 1/2 gap would require putting one of the 1/4 clutch cyl spacers under the aluminum as Metalmaker did
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14