Kalstar that's an interesting story, but it just doesn't add up. Not saying it's not true as I didn't even know FFR existed back in that time. But lets think about it like this. "When Ford was told about the kit F5R was producing they asked for F5R to hold off as Ford was about to produce their own new GT40 or shortened to GT"
So Ford is about to come out with a 150K GT supercar, paying dues to the original GT-40. At about the same time little old FFR is about to drop a GT-40 replica.
Why would Ford ask FFR to hold off on their GT-40 replica?
First there was already at least 3 good GT-40 replicas on the market!
And second if FFR was going to clone the GT-40 why would ford care? Its not like it in anyway would have taken from their sales!
Why would FFR GT-40 replica be so amazing compared to all the Superformance and everyone's else's GT-40 replica that it could have taken the spot light or sales away from Ford dropping the 2005 Ford GT??? That just does not add up to me.
What I am saying is, there were already GT-40 replicas on the market! So why would Ford have a problem with FFR coming out with theirs, how would that specific GT-40 replica take away from Ford dropping the Ford GT?
And if they " extensively modeled the VBM and then created the GTM " then that means that it’s a VBM 4000... Or a clone of the VBM 4000. If you look at the FFR GTM 200 prototype and look at the VBM you really can't tell them apart! The useless hump in the center of the hood on the Gen 1 was because the VBM had a one piece windshield wiper not two piece like the Corvette. It got scraped on the Gen 2.
The VBM 4000 used a V6 so that might explain why my V8 is zero inches away from the firewall. That’s usually what happens when you drop a V8 engine in a bay that was designed for a V6.
I am not saying that this is not the true story, but to me it just doesn't seem like the more likely one.