Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Might have found a donor

Post Thanks / Like

Might have found a donor

It is a 2004 WRX with 109k on it. A/c doesnt work and one strut is broken. I havent looked at it yet it is 2 hours away. driveable and supposedly in decent shape other than that. paint is crap and some wear... but obviously none of that matters. asking 7k he dropped to 6k easily... I was thinking if I could get him to 5k...? what you think will it make a good donor or should I look elsewhere?

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting down around 5k is where I would want to be. Where are you located (East Coast, West Coast)? Seems to make a difference depending on where you are.

Post Thanks / Like
    it is located in Florida. sounds like a college kid owns it. Iwas thinking about going non donor and getting a JDM 2.5 motor. But came across this and figured well it might be nice to have a donor and I can drive it until the 818 shows

Post Thanks / Like
    Any mods on the engine or bone stock?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it is stock. he mentioned boost was increased to 14psi but didnt seem to know anything about how. Was done by previous owner. He is sending me engine bay pics today...

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    too much for me if stock...but that's me...the target price for donor is 5k obviously...if you find the right one that has upgrades you do and don't need, you can sell A LOT of stuff off and come out ahead...anyway...just a thought...
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Increased to 14psi?
    I thought the stock boost on the 2004 was about 13.5-14.5psi.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    No idea havent researched the WRX platform enough at this point. If I get this for 5k then I am at the target $ and it is not wrecked. so maybe more parts to sell off? not sure, I am not much for selling stuff lol just hate the process... I have an aquarium prob worth 500$ used i was trying to sell kept getting low ball offers that piss me off... even offered it at 300 no haggle and someone gives me a sob story abouth their kid wanting it for 100$, another girl has a long drawn out reason to break it up and sell her parts of it and needs lots of pics for whatever reason... I am about to throw it in the trash and be done with it... I can see this happening with parts off this wrx... taking the whole thing i dont use to the dump and avoid the hassle.

That being said maybe I should just buy the parts i need off ebay or parts store, junk yard, even if it costs a little more it might be worth the ease of it. I am contemplating going haltech aftermarket EFi with an IQ3 dash... so maybe dont need much of a donor. I am running Haltech on my vette and it is a pretty nice setup. Havent used the IQ3 though.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you aren't building your 818 anytime soon - you might just want to find a motor, trans, and all the parts you need instead of buying a whole car. If you have time to wait patiently, you could probably make out around the same price, and get all quality parts. The thing with having a full donor car is you make some of your money back selling parts. If you don't want to deal with that, it's just a waste of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mobius View Post
    No idea havent researched the WRX platform enough at this point. If I get this for 5k then I am at the target $ and it is not wrecked. so maybe more parts to sell off? not sure, I am not much for selling stuff lol just hate the process... I have an aquarium prob worth 500$ used i was trying to sell kept getting low ball offers that piss me off... even offered it at 300 no haggle and someone gives me a sob story abouth their kid wanting it for 100$, another girl has a long drawn out reason to break it up and sell her parts of it and needs lots of pics for whatever reason... I am about to throw it in the trash and be done with it... I can see this happening with parts off this wrx... taking the whole thing i dont use to the dump and avoid the hassle.
    Yeah I know that!!! I am in the process of going through these things as I am selling a bunch of old parts from my VW that I always said myself I would one day sell... now that I need money, that day has come and am also selling the car itself, I put everything up for sale I get a lot of these stories you mention. loll
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I share your frustration. Still trying to decide whether to go wit AJW performance or find a decent donor. You should take a look anyway and if it's decent mechanically 5k would be a fair price. You'll be able to verify that all the needed systems are functioning properly. When it comes to sell off the remaining parts it wouldn't matter what price you get for them, you might just get your donor paid for or at least a couple grand anyway. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    True. I am having him send pics of engine bay I may shoot him a message back and offer the 5k if it works out ill go pick it up if mechanically it is in good shape.

Post Thanks / Like
    For a running car that could be used as a DD with a minor fix (strut) it isn't a bad price. For a donor, it's on the high side of a wrecked car that still has all usuable parts. I got my wrecked 06 for $4k with fewer miles. If you don't want to deal with selling things, it doesn't matter if sellable items are damaged as long as the necessary donor parts are good.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports