Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boz's 33

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a few things done today. Got a floor pan for the fuel tank area from one of the custom vendors (Kootenai). Obviously I had to remove the fuel tank which gave me some easier access to shore up a few items underneath that area. Sprayed the underside of the pan with undercoating. Reinstalling the fuel tank got very tight, so tight in fact I had to use a block of wood and a rather large hammer to reinstall. Used a valve cover grommet to protect the fuel and vent lines. Also UPS brought me a new starter and like everything else it didn't fit the first attempt. The good news though is you can rotate the nose on the starter and mount it in any position. Pretty cool.
    Are you guys sealing the battery access panel or making it removable?

P8210014.JPGP8210015.JPGP8210016.JPGP8210017.JPGP8210018.JPGP8210019.JPG
    Last edited by Boz1911; 08-21-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I cut the relief as per page 543 in the manual.
    Checking your build thread it looks like you have the two piece trans tunnel like mine. When I called FF tech about the aluminum part not with my kit or shown on the packing slip, they told me it is not needed with this tunnel. I can understand since I was able to move the left side of the tunnel over to within a 1/4 inch of the clutch fork. There really would be no need to add the panel except for possibly some clearance at the top.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    looking good! I made mine removable. But most likely will remove batt from underneath if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    looking good! I made mine removable. But most likely will remove batt from underneath if needed.
    That's what I figured.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a few goodies in the mail today, mainly the driveshaft and the steering column. Also went to Summit and picked up my Odyssey battery and oil filter adapter. First on the install was the driveshaft. After removing the rubber plug from the Tremec trans and lubing the splines and seal the driveshaft fell in place. I did notice it wasn't straight in the tunnel so while I was there I just reached back and adjusted the track bar until it was centered at least by eye.
    Next was the steering column, only problem there was the mounting bolts nearest the wheel end touch when fully tightened, a washer should take care of that. The column is a very nice piece.
    Final item for the day was the oil filter adapter. Now I should be able to finish the power steering install this weekend.
    Since the rivnut tool supplied with the kit has a 10-32 attachment I ordered some rivnuts from Jeg's to install the top of the trans tunnel and the battery access panel.
    Since you guys don't know me I'll let you know I shoot USPSA competition hence I do a lot of ammo reloading. What's that got to do with anything you ask? Well, if you look at the picture with the carb you'll see an aluminum tube that will attach to the Kootenai throttle linkage. That tube is a primer tube from one of my reloading machines.
    Hope you guys don't mind all the pictures, I just know the ones you posted were a great reference for me and if any of mine help someone that would be great.

P8230001.JPGP8230002.JPGP8230003.JPGP8230004.JPGP8230005.JPGP8230006.JPGP8230007.JPGP8230008.JPG
    Last edited by Boz1911; 08-23-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent all of yesterday morning installing the emergency brake system but it works great. The 10-32 rivnuts arrived so I finished making the trans tunnel cover removable. My shifter arrived also. It is a Joe's racing 8 incher. I thought that it would be on the short side but after installing and sitting in the car seems to be ideal for me.
    I'm at the point where I understand what can be final installed so when I'm in those areas I tighten and double check everything.

P8280009.JPGP8280010.JPGP8280011.JPG
    Last edited by Boz1911; 08-29-2013 at 04:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the great photos. I like the reloading tube. Everything is looking great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the great photos. I like the reloading tube. Everything is looking great!
    Thanks, still waiting on exhaust parts and steering wheel. Wish I had the exhaust so I could install the interior panels for the last time. I installed insulation between the inner firewall and the engine side firewall wall then reinstalled the inner firewall for the last time yesterday. Figure getting one thing done at a time it will eventually come together.

Post Thanks / Like
    A very productive 24 hours. Got the power steering installed, looks easier than it is. Also finished the last few steps needed to fire the engine and she sounds sweet. If I had my exhaust, steering wheel , and radiator adaptors, she's ready to go cart. I call every week to check status. The steering wheel is the only item being shipped at this point. I may go to Summit and just buy the radiator adaptors so I can run this sweet soundin' 408 some more. I'm not much of a drinker but I found a bottle of high end champagne in the fridge to celebrate. Also enclosed a pic of the brace I made for the clutch cable, not sure it's enough though. Here's a link to the crappy video I made of the engine running. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkU5...ms24nh1FBZvKPw

P9010015.JPGP9010016.JPGP9010017.JPGP9010018.JPGP9010019.JPGP9010014.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looking great Boz!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Looking great Boz!
    Thanks, getting there one step at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I started the engine I decided to make a punch list to make it go-kartable. I gave up on FF and went to Summit and picked up the radiator hose adapters and some discontinued billet hose end covers from Mr Gasket. They were only 7.00 each. Installed the radiator hoses, filled the trans with fluid, bled the brakes, and finally installed the throttle linkage. Waiting on some rod ends from Jegs to dress up the linkage. I used some stuff leftover to make it function for now. Thought my steering wheel would arrive today but no such luck. Car is loud but when I get the wheel I should be able to kart this baby.

P9040005.JPGP9040003.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome Boz, can't seem to get a free moment to work on mine. Looking forward to seeing some go kart video.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting to gocart will be a fun time. I remember doing mine the first time. It was a hoot! Engine looks awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RWTQ...ms24nh1FBZvKPw

Her first steps, wifey says she's too loud to test drive down the street...........can you say difference of opinion?? She won't be home Wednesday.

P9070019.JPGP9070020.JPG
    Last edited by Boz1911; 09-08-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guess I'm ready to mount the body so I couldn't do a whole lot today. Finished the cowl access panels, mounted the tail lights, mounted the fuel filler, did the final gauge layout and finally a little sanding on the body seams. Anyone know in the last pic whether I need to grind that overlap flat or plan on building it up?

P9080001.JPGP9080002.JPGP9080003.JPGP9080004.JPGP9080006.JPGP9080005.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    If you mean the part that faces the front I sanded mine flat. The rear waterfall covers that area. On top the door goes in the small slot area. I hope that helps you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the body set on last night, now to get her all mounted up, then the doors, trunk, hood and side panels. But at least she's starting to look like a car. Sure did gain some garage space, temporarily that is...........

P9100007.JPGP9100008.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that is looking good! I like the gauge placement and shifter. Any idea what color or colors you are going to paint it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that is looking good! I like the gauge placement and shifter. Any idea what color or colors you are going to paint it?
    Thanks, I decided since this car is a blend of old and new school, I'd do an old school layout with the modern gauges.
    Paint? That seems to be the question everyone wants an answer to. The real answer is I should know but I don't. I am pretty good mechanically but the creative side ..... not so much.
    I've been looking at tons of color schemes and nothing hits the spot yet. I remember seeing a Harley paint job in a magazine that really hit my hot button, so I'll be searching through some old mags to see if I can find it and see if it might work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1911 View Post
    Thanks, I decided since this car is a blend of old and new school, I'd do an old school layout with the modern gauges.
    Paint? That seems to be the question everyone wants an answer to. The real answer is I should know but I don't. I am pretty good mechanically but the creative side ..... not so much.
    I've been looking at tons of color schemes and nothing hits the spot yet. I remember seeing a Harley paint job in a magazine that really hit my hot button, so I'll be searching through some old mags to see if I can find it and see if it might work.
    My paint job idea came from my 2012 HD Ultra Limited. It was the same colors except shiny instead of the satin on my HR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't have a lot of time today but I did completely mount the body except the lower front extensions. I have a little grinding to do there. I was pretty amazed at how sturdy the body was after mounting it at the firewall, door sills, and rear. Fitted the passenger door and started mounting it. Seemed to go pretty smooth so maybe this won't take as long as I thought. At first glance fitting the hood appears to be a little scary, any tips out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Trim it from all sides. Same with the doors and trunk. If you only trim one side you will have fitment problems. Tony at FFR confirmed this to me. I laid out each component in its place. Then I used 3/16" tape to give me my body gap. I then used a paint marker to mark how much I had to trim. Then I used a belt sander to get my gaps. I had to do a little at a time but it gave me great results. See the door videos in the 33 forum. They helped me a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips. It took me way longer than I expected but finally a functioning door.

P9130011.JPGP9130012.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Been working like a dog on these damn doors. I watched Eric's videos consulted the online and paper manuals and they are stiil a PITA. I do have them both mounted and functioning but they both still need some minor tweaking. I finally had to move on to something else and got the hood fitting pretty well and also the trunk.

P9180001.JPGP9180002.JPG
    Last edited by Boz1911; 09-18-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been working like a dog on these damn doors. I watched Eric's videos consulted the online and paper manuals and they are stiil a PITA. I do have them both mounted and functioning but they both still need some minor tweaking. I finally had to move on to something else and got the hood fitting pretty well and also the trunk.

P9180001.JPGP9180002.JPG
    I think my first door I had on and off about 25 times till I got it right. The second one went much faster. Yours looks good! The hood looks spot on, good job!

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of evenings and finally a functioning hood. Looks like I'll have to relocate the mounts for the struts since the hood does come off the body when popped and forward. Any suggestions? Also had to trim an inch or so off the prop rod to access it. I can't see why anyone wouldn't order the Kootenai hood pins and guides, worthwhile investment for sure.

P9200003.JPGP9200004.JPGP9200005.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I think my first door I had on and off about 25 times till I got it right. The second one went much faster. Yours looks good! The hood looks spot on, good job!
    It will be at least 25 times...............

Post Thanks / Like
    Just came across your build and you have made great progress! I get my kit in a few weeks and seeing your progress has boosted my confidence in my upcoming build! I am looking forward to following you as you work closer to finishing!

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crspdsk8 View Post
    Just came across your build and you have made great progress! I get my kit in a few weeks and seeing your progress has boosted my confidence in my upcoming build! I am looking forward to following you as you work closer to finishing!

Charles
    Thanks and congrats !!. I know I've become a bit obsessed with it but it's a ton of fun, The feeling you get when you get past a hurdle is very satisfying. With the manual, online manual and the build threads on here you should find all the answers you'll need. Just to get you started, a couple of tips on the front suspension. Order the ball joint boots from Summit, the number is listed in some of the build threads, much easier to install. Also I ordered a 1/16 NPT tap to thread the grease fitting holes in the control arm brackets. You can get one from Amazon. The so-called self-threading grease fittings gave me fits. Enjoy your new kit !!
    Last edited by Boz1911; 09-22-2013 at 04:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last night and this morning, got the windshield mounted (don't trust the gaskets) and the front lower cowl just about finished.

P9220003.JPGP9220004.JPGP9210001.JPGP9210002.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up moving the lower mounts for the hood struts down exactly one inch. This made all the difference in the world in hood operation. Here's a pic to show the difference in the mount locations.

P9220006.JPG
    Last edited by Boz1911; 09-22-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any suggestions on what to do with the front brake flex hoses that have been mounted but now are going to interfere with mounting the side panels? I assume get to removing fiberglass until I get clearance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you post some pics Boz. I would like to see where the clearance issues are, maybe i can help.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attac...1&d=1374949167

If you look at the brake hoses on Tom's car they exit about two inches higher than where mine will. Maybe he'll give me some insight as to where he mounted his because mine are a couple inches lower and pretty much match the manual installation. I hate to remove the flange on the the side panels to get clearance but I also don't want to have to disconnect the front brake hoses in order to remove the side panels. Also I would prefer to not redo all the front brake lines but I may have to.
    Last edited by Boz1911; 09-25-2013 at 04:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attac...1&d=1374949167

If you look at the brake hoses on Tom's car they exit about two inches higher than where mine will. Maybe he'll give me some insight as to where he mounted his because mine are a couple inches lower and pretty much match the manual installation. I hate to remove the flange on the the side panels to get clearance but I also don't want to have to disconnect the front brake hoses in order to remove the side panels. Also I would prefer to not redo all the front brake lines but I may have to.
    I looked at mine, they are where the pictures on page 110 and 111 of the manual show. I am not sure why yours are giving you a problem. I was careful that they followed close to the suspension and stayed out of the way of the wheel. Maybe you just need to loosen and adjust some.

Post Thanks / Like
    That may be the case, my mounts do angle inwards at the bottom which does make the hose come out lower. Mine are mounted with 10-32 bolts so at least it shouldn't be difficult to change.

P9250007.JPGP9250008.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally some decent progress, right door is perfect, left door 99%. Got the trunk lid down far enough and fit properly also, helps it the hinge isn't hitting the third link cover box laying in the trunk area. Got the waterfall mounted up and the roll ball holes located and cut. Starting to look like a real car. Guess this week I'll tackle those side panels after some brake hose relocation. Almost finished with the carb linkage also. Actually sat in the car today with everything layed out and thankfully looks like there is plenty of room for me. I like the gauge layout I did, they are all nice and visible and the switches are within easy reach. The E-brake is a bit awkward to reach though. Clutch operation is much better with the body mounted also. I may still add some bracing when I remove the body for paint, now that I know where everything to be mounted is mounted. I'm open to any criticism, suggestions, mistakes, or ideas as I go along. I have certainly made a few goofs but try to fix those asap.

P9280009.JPGP9280010.JPGP9280011.JPGP9280012.JPGP9290015.JPGP9290016.JPGP9290017.JPGP9290018.JPGP9280013.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are looking real good! You may want to rethink the armrest. Unless you have super long arms it is not very useable in the stock location. See my thread for what I did. Great job! keep up the good work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are looking real good! You may want to rethink the armrest. Unless you have super long arms it is not very useable in the stock location. See my thread for what I did. Great job! keep up the good work.
    Thanks, means a lot coming from you. The arm rest didn't seem bad when I was in the car today but I of course saw the one you did and some modification may be coming. I am 6-2 and well over 1/8th of a ton so a compromise may be in order. When I installed the waterfall, I removed too much off the top so the surround upholstery sat too high. Since it and the armrest were going to need regluing any way I cut a 1/4 inch off the bottom. Now it fits well and there is more material to glue back in place. After being in the car today I was pleased I had enough foot room.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast