Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tranny brace

Post Thanks / Like

Tranny brace

Found this thread on the subaru forum, has anyone seen any feedback on this type of product? It's suppose to bolt over the 5sp trans to prevent flexing under heavy torque loads. This ones made by Moore performance race products . Can't vouch for this co. Just saw the thread and throwing the idea out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Found this thread on the subaru forum, has anyone seen any feedback on this type of product? It's suppose to bolt over the 5sp trans to prevent flexing under heavy torque loads. This ones made by Moore performance race products . Can't vouch for this co. Just saw the thread and throwing the idea out there.
    I've seen these before, but i have never seen any data on whether or not they actually help with gear strength.

people who kill gears, will kill gears with or without this plate in my oppinion.

There is the PPG or RalliSpec Gearsets you can get which are much stronger. I've personally seen a 560AWHP Track car running a strait cut synchro box PPG 5 spd. for 2 solid years with no issues. he did NOT have these plates on the trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am meeting with the Moore Performance Parts guys next week, I will see what I can find out.

Post Thanks / Like

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah the blast plates seem like a great idea in theory, but the price seems way too much for what it is. some steel, a few mig welds and 4 bolts? I doubt there was a ton of R&D cost to recoop, Maybe for $200

I also have yet to read any real testing data or see anyone putting major power through these long term.

If the solution to the 5mt weakness was so simple why wouldn't other companies be all over this.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still not sold on the theory that that is going to benefit "case flex"

the stock bolts are Grade 8 IIRC and if you are really worried, i'm sure you could go buy some fine threaded above Grade 8 hardware if you'd like. I just don't see how it helps the case, where the larger issue resides in SHAFT deflection between the bearings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhydroxide View Post
    I'm still not sold on the theory that that is going to benefit "case flex"

the stock bolts are Grade 8 IIRC and if you are really worried, i'm sure you could go buy some fine threaded above Grade 8 hardware if you'd like. I just don't see how it helps the case, where the larger issue resides in SHAFT deflection between the bearings.

I'm so glad this community is here.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a huge thread regarding this on NASIOC, and it's been brought up multiple times..

My sense of it is on a vehicle this light with rear wheel drive and not gunning for crazy numbers I doubt people will be eating trannies..

That said I plan on using a porsche gear box (brought it up in a different thread).

-Matt

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty_STi View Post
    My sense of it is on a vehicle this light with rear wheel drive and not gunning for crazy numbers I doubt people will be eating trannies..
    These discussions are coming up now because everyone has been saying the tranny will be fine, then the R eats third gear on it's first track day. Granted it was pushing a claimed 340hp, but if it only lasted one day...
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are other kit cars out there that use this same mid engine/ rear drive combo. The updated Sterling RX is one. I considered this before finding the 818, but after many unreturned calls and a no show at a planned car show, I crossed them off the list. If customer service sucks before they had my money..., I got spooked. Neat looking car though. If we dig around, we might get some reassurance in our 818 setup. The bigger HP builds, I think, used a mendeola or Porsche (what jogged my memory above) gearbox. I couldn't find a good discussion in a quick search, just the sterling sports cars website.

Post Thanks / Like
    I clicked on this "Tranny brace" thread expecting something completely different.

I don't know if I'm disappointed or relieved.

JK
    Last edited by BipDBo; 07-31-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    These discussions are coming up now because everyone has been saying the tranny will be fine, then the R eats third gear on it's first track day. Granted it was pushing a claimed 340hp, but if it only lasted one day...

My main "hands over eyes/ears" part of that trans blowing third is, WE DON"T KNOW WHAT CONDITION THE TRANS WAS IN ORIGINALLY.

The donor could've been owned by an asshat who did clutch drops every shift. MAYBE when it crashed it was in 3rd and the gear was weakened by that impact. There's soooooo Much unknown that until someone proves to me that their good trans with good gears blew because of Fairly stock to 18G Turbo power. I'll keep building my 5spd.

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend just blew 3rd in his 06 wrx
    80K, has done some mods, approaching STI power levels, 2nd year autocross use... removed teeth from the gear

The trans is good for stock + power levels, abuse will do them in esp in AWD mode...

BTW little advance warning...