FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Feels like a cylinder is down/missing

Post Thanks / Like

Feels like a cylinder is down/missing

Had Round 5 of NASA NW this weekend, car felt like it was missing, not firing on all cyls, replaced wires that were questionable, ran codes nothing major, 81, 82 84 and 85, I would expect these. Any suggestions ? Fustrating weekend being down on initial power.

Car was OK at high RPM (still lacking but was up to speed of 145), juts sluggish at low RPM and you could hear a miss.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    exhaust crack?
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johngeorge View Post
    exhaust crack?
    So I do have a loose j-pipe where the j-pipe bolts to header as it will not tighten up. Its on the same side as what sounded like a miss. O did not think that could cause low end power issues?
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd actually pull off the j-pipe. They tend to crack right at the bend or just below the flange.
    2012 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    2011 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    Race page - http://www.mh-motorsports.com/race.shtml
    Team Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/MH-Mot...s/264814350042

Post Thanks / Like
    No issue with J-Pipe except at the flange, engine still missing (feels down a cyl), replaced wires, plugs, distributor and Thin Film module @ distributor. I guess will have to pull the valve cover and see what is going on, any other suggestions?
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    all injectors firing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johngeorge View Post
    all injectors firing?
    What is the quickest way to test that, as I get no codes ?
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    take exhaust temps with a laser temp probe, or paint on exhaust, or use one of those stethoscopes to hear if the injector is firing.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    FFR Spec , with engine running and using an insulated plug wire pliers, pull off one plug wire at a time . If you do indeed have a clyinder not fireing when you get to that wire there will not be a difference in rpm. You can pull the wire either at plug or dizzy. This wont solve problem but will tell you which cly has the problem .

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Check all exhaust tubes 2 inches off the head make sure there are no cold cyl. (With a laser temp probe
    If there is a cold cyl. Tap on the injector for that cyl. And see if that cures it.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    I pulled the valve cover and no issues I could see with the rocker arms or pushrods or valve adjustments. I checked the resistance on all the injectors and all the same (so no grounded injector), feels like each injector is clicking. I don't have a heat gun, so I used my hand and got burnt the same on each header tube. I checked the resistance on each of the spark plug wires and all are within the range for the length.

Last race of season this weekend, and I'm in the points lead for ITE by 6 points, if I don't run I lose and get second place, if I run and finish above 8th I can still win the championship but not sure the way the car is running and if it's a valve will I do more damage if I run ....
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 09-23-2013 at 11:23 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did a leak down test with a an OTC tester (not the cheap Harbor freight one) and all cyls on a 90PSI test were reading 82PSI so a 8-9 % loss (except #1 was reading 81PSI) so I find that acceptable (and no differences real differences between cyls) and no valve or cyl issue.

So still at a loss.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    tony
    give me a ring when you get a chance
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How about the coil? It looks like you check everything but I didn’t see anything about the coil.

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOTIS BILL View Post
    How about the coil? It looks like you check everything but I didn’t see anything about the coil.

Bill Lomenick
    I replaces that also, but that was mid way through last season, so its fairly new
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a picture of the plugs on one side, the other side looks the same, I don't see any fowling, these look pretty good, not too lean, not sure about the 2nd one from left, seems a little white

WP_20130924_008.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Had the injectors tested today and they are were equal in flow. One cyl is colder than the rest (measuring with infrared thermometer on the header) by about 100 degrees, but don't understand why, as everything check out.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it's no fun, but it maybe time to dig into the fuel cell to check the foam, sock and pump to fill plate hose. It doesn't seem logical that those things would cause a problem on one cylinder but so far you've checked all the easy logical stuff. Is it always the same cylinder that's cold?
    FFR Spec Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by avgjoe View Post
    I know it's no fun, but it maybe time to dig into the fuel cell to check the foam, sock and pump to fill plate hose. It doesn't seem logical that those things would cause a problem on one cylinder but so far you've checked all the easy logical stuff. Is it always the same cylinder that's cold?
    It's always the same cyl. it may be just be normal with the way the header is formed. I get a constant 50PSI on the fuel rail (as I went through a cell issue last year and had the whole thing apart and replaced things) and have a fuel pressure gauge on my dash to make sure I don't hit that issue again. Since I have good fuel pressure and I cleaned out the rail I don't think that is the issue.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Tony,

Have you considered the ECU as the problem? I have heard of the ECU dying but could it possibly be a compromised file such as a fuel map to that particular injector? I don't know if you have access to another ECU but if you do, changing it out would answer the question of an adulterated file. I know you are trouble shooting the easier possibilities first. But it shouldn't take too long to check that out, IMO. Good luck, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you checked cam lift? Sounds a little like a flat lobe. If you use an engine diagnostic software, it can tell how much HP each cylinder is making by the acceleration of the crankshaft as each cylinder fires. I think you have to drive it with the laptop hooked up to get the info.
    Last edited by 2bking; 09-27-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    Hi Tony,

Have you considered the ECU as the problem? I have heard of the ECU dying but could it possibly be a compromised file such as a fuel map to that particular injector? I don't know if you have access to another ECU but if you do, changing it out would answer the question of an adulterated file. I know you are trouble shooting the easier possibilities first. But it shouldn't take too long to check that out, IMO. Good luck, WEK.
    I have a spare "new" (reconditioned) Autozone ECU so will plug that in tonight and see
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    Have you checked cam lift? Sounds a little like a flat lobe. If you use an engine diagnostic software, it can tell how much HP each cylinder is making by the acceleration of the crankshaft as each cylinder fires. I think you have to drive it with the laptop hooked up to get the info.
    Could be, cam is new as of last season (entire engine was new last season), when opened up the top end all looked fine, but could not see all the cam. I have tried the cyl balance test (that the diagnostic readers have) and all passes, which cuts fuel and spark to each cyl and tries to see if there is a cyl not holding up its part.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Well replaced the computer with my backup and problem fixed, very odd, as I would not have expected just one cyl to go out but multiple or all to go out. No faults or anything, all the diagnostics ran, no signs of bad computer. So replaced with my backup Autozone remanufactured unit. I guess I have to get another backup now. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet
    That is great news
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, glad to hear that
    2012 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    2011 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    Race page - http://www.mh-motorsports.com/race.shtml
    Team Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/MH-Mot...s/264814350042