BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Registration in CA / Brake and Lamp Inspection / NEED HELP PLEASE

Post Thanks / Like

Registration in CA / Brake and Lamp Inspection / NEED HELP PLEASE

So...got to the brake and lamp inspection part of registering / titling my vehicle. The shop I went to is telling me that they do not know how to judge the car - year, etc., they need the specs for comparison. Per current standards, they pointed out that the fog lamps are too low (minimum of 12") and the head lights are too low too (minimum of 24")...they also pointed out the lack of side lights. They don't even want to perform the inspection and turned me away.

I am hoping to get the car registered under the SB100 program and have the referee assign a 1960 model year (not sure how that will affect the lamp issues), but I cannot get to the referee without getting my paperwork from the DMV and I can't finish my paperwork at the DMV until I get the brakes and lamps inspected / approved.

The shop told me to contact the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) to see if I can get some help on how to handle the brake and lamp inspection. I am not wanting to do that because I think that will create more questions and issues than provide solutions.

I am going to look around for another shop, but I am hoping someone in the SoCal / LA area can help guide me through this. I can only offer beer and pizza. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you located? I think I saw somewhere about the GTM being registered under SB-100......

If I remember correctly, you can make arrangements with a local CHP office for light inspection. Other GTM owners in SoCal wanna chime in?
    U.S. NAVY SEABEE CONSTRUCTION MECHANIC (RETIRED)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not went through the process but I have talked to the chp, smog referee and BAR. My plan at this point is to register the car under sb 100 as a 64 gt40 replica. You need to start at the dmv to get assigned the sb100 #. That will get you a temporary registration so you can drive the car to get the safety inspection. You will also need make an appointment with the smog referee. He will be looking to make sure all original ford gt smog equipment is installed. Basically you need a PVC valve.
    As for your safety inspection, you need to go somewhere else. I'm well aware of the 24" headlight law from my lowered VW days. Adjust those coil over shocks up until the center of the headlights are at 24". Have never measure ours but I would have thought they were already there. I don't think there is a law that says you have to have fog lights and certainly not at 24". Side lights, go to pep boys and buy some cheap side marker lights and double stick tape them on and wire them in long enough to get through the inspection. But again I don't really think these are required.
    The chp just inspects the frame vin number and maybe attaches their own.
    These are just assumptions I'm make from info I've gathered from the various agency. Keep us posted with your progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Give Electric Lab in Fresno a call. They have done many roadsters, coupes and a GTM or two over the years.
    Doug

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    sk7500: You will be doing yourself a dis-service by trying to register your GTM as a " 64 gt40 replica" Under the SB-100 rules, if the vehicle is unique (as is the GTM or the 818) it will be considered a 1960 vehicle for purposes of emissions testing.

HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE
    44017.4. (a) Upon registration with the Department of Motor Vehicles, a passenger vehicle or pickup truck that is a specially constructed vehicle, as defined in Section 580 of the Vehicle Code, shall be inspected by stations authorized to perform referee functions. This inspection shall be for the purposes of determining the engine model-year used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year, and the emission control system application. The owner shall have the option to choose whether the inspection is based on the engine model-year used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year.
    (1) In determining the engine model-year, the referee shall compare the engine to engines of the era that the engine most closely resembles. The referee shall assign the 1960 model-year to the engine in any specially constructed vehicle that does not sufficiently resemble a previously manufactured engine. The referee shall require only those emission control systems that are applicable to the established engine model-year and that the engine reasonably accommodates in its present form.
    (2) In determining the vehicle model-year, the referee shall compare the vehicle to vehicles of the era that the vehicle most closely resembles. The referee shall assign the 1960 model-year to any specially constructed vehicle that does not sufficiently resemble a previously manufactured vehicle. The referee shall require only those emission control systems that are applicable to the established model-year and that the vehicle reasonably accommodates in its present form.

As to the headlight issue...

California vehicle code requires headlamps to be "...no less than 22-inches..." This is measured to the center of the headlamp while parked on level ground.

ARTICLE 2. Headlamps and Auxiliary Lamps [24400 - 24411] ( Article 2 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

24400. (a) A motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, shall be equipped with at least two headlamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, and, except as to vehicles registered prior to January 1, 1930, they shall be located directly above or in advance of the front axle of the vehicle. The headlamps and every light source in any headlamp unit shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches."

Lots of good information here: http://www.bipac.net/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_CA.pdf

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the information!

I think part of my problem was going to a shop where the owner did not want to deal with a kit car.

I have some notes on my process so far, quite a bit of this I just didn't understand.

So far...
    1. Went to the DMV, they started the application for title process (SPCNS Certificate). I had my receipts, summary / total invested in the kit (spreadsheet), pictures of the car, my MCO (from FFR) and the completed statement of construction (downloaded from the DMV website). This first visit took about an hour and a half, the branch I went to was not entirely clear on what to do. Once they had taken it as far as they could, they told me to schedule an appointment with the CHP, then come back to them after that was complete.
    2. Went to the CHP for the VIN application. They want your paperwork from the DMV, receipts, proof of sale for the major items, etc. and they will briefly look at your car (they checked the chassis number). They filled out their portion on the VIN application and instructed me to go back to the DMV.
    3. I went back to the DMV, but the correct process would have been to get a brake and lamp inspection completed and get a certificate. At the DMV, spent another hour, they did get my SPCNS number assigned and instructed me to get the brake and lamp inspection complete. After which, I would go back to the DMV and complete the process for getting the SPCNS certificate issued. Once I receive the SPCNS certificate in the mail, I can schedule an appointment at the nearest BAR referee station and then would take the car there for smog inspection, etc.

I have found that not a lot of people know what they are supposed to do (me included) and the process can be tiresome. Even with an appointment, it still takes time at the DMV.

I actually have air up front, so I can raise the height pretty easily...still working on a better solution for the long term.

I will read through what Ray posted. I think one of my outstanding questions is if the vehicle is judged as a 1960 model year, then what lamp requirements are there? Hopefully, I will find that out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Side markers not required for passenger cars.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25100.htm

Ray - thanks again! I got into search the vehicle code...now I am dangerous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fog lamps do have a minimum height requirement of 12".

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24403.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Also be thankful DMV did not require a bond.(or did they?) Last time I went in to get a vehicle SPCNS plated they tried to tell me that it needed a bond against it before they would paper it. I knew about this before hand and had "adjusted" the values of things so that the final cost came in under the requirement. As you say, the people at the DMV know very little about these registrations and if you do not go in well read and prepared, they will likely send you on wild goose chases. I think the bond requirement 10 years or so ago was $20k-$30k, so if it hasn't changed, that would be a tough hurdle to make with a GTM. I was already bending over enough on taxes, I didn't feel I needed the extra butt reaming of the bonding of the vehicle. Might want to check into that just so nothing surprises you and you can have a strategy formulated ahead of time if it becomes an issue.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    No bonding issues (yet, LOL). From the way I understanding the bonding, it is only required if you do not have adequate proof of the higher dollar value items on your vehicle. E.g., the frame, engine, transmission, etc. But I am finding that my understanding is inadequate.

Post Thanks / Like
    The saga continues...

I got my brake and lamp certificates. Everything was pretty easy when you find a shop that doesn't want to be a difficult tool to work with. Plus, it is unbelievable how many shops are out there that are listed as being certified on the BAR (California Bureau of Auto Repair) website, but no longer currently have their licenses. In five shops, three no longer had their licenses - even though the website specifically said they were current. It took a couple hours to look over everything. They had me perform an emergency stop from 30 MPH. They didn't want to drive the car and just instructed me on what they wanted to see me do. If anyone needs a brake and lamp in the LA area, PM me and I will give you the shop name I used.

On Monday, I have an appointment to go to the smog referee. Keeping my fingers crossed, of course, but I think it will all work out fine. Once that is done, back to the DMV one last time. Now that I know where to go and what to do, this would be easier and less time consuming with the next car...assuming they don't change the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is California, the process changes from office to office and even between clerks!
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    PASSED SMOG! Well...got my smog exemption. For smog purposes, it is a 1960 and only requires a PCV valve. I am 276 out of 500 on the SB100 program for 2013. Back to the DMV in two weeks (first available appointment I could get).

The smog referee (Jack) was great to work with - located at Pierce College in Woodland Hills. He knew exactly what to do and what I wanted. Took about an hour to get it all done. They took pictures and asked a few questions. Best of all, it was FREE. No charge because of the exemption status - which is the way it is supposed to be. He told me that some smog techs / refs will charge when an exemption is issued, but that this is an incorrect thing to do.

He mentioned that there was another GTM (blue in color) that came in not long ago and had some issues because it was purchased in Texas and had less than 7500 miles. If you purchase a vehicle that was registered / titled out of state, you cannot register in CA if it has less than 7500 miles. That owner needs to do some road trips!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mmaragos, I had the impression that there is a land rush on January 2 each year to get these numbers, and that they are all gone that day. I guess that is what used to happen but now it's tailed off? Do I understand you correctly that in September of 2013, you were able to get an SPCNS number?
    Regards, congratulations, and thanks for helping!
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    That is correct. A BUNCH of them left. I was #276, I doubt that many (if any) more have been assigned. The BAR referee that I spoke to said that it has been a couple years since the SB100 limit of 500 was reached, but he did recall the days when they would be gone on the first day of the year. He didn't know the reason for the decline - just fewer people wanting them. Also, I believe the state (of CA) cracked down on what people were doing within the SB100 program. Perhaps many of the vehicles being registered under SB100 were not supposed to be. I had found this about an amnesty program relating to SB100 when I was looking for other information.

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?cont...12CA1&g=SEMAGA

If you need any help, let me know and I will assist if I can / give you more information on what I did.

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been several years since the supply of numbers were all issued on the first day or two. One thing that I have discovered over the years helping others through this process is that the numbers are not issued in sequential order, so there may not be as many left as your number would indicate. No matter what the order, there are still some left and that is good for builders.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    That is great information. I would like to contact you in the future when I have to get approved.
    Great job, Dru

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks much! I'll be getting my paperwork ready! I should have my kit car (a palatov) ready by mid January, so I'll be networking with GTM folks about performance mods they have done to the GM E-Rod motor.