So...got to the brake and lamp inspection part of registering / titling my vehicle. The shop I went to is telling me that they do not know how to judge the car - year, etc., they need the specs for comparison. Per current standards, they pointed out that the fog lamps are too low (minimum of 12") and the head lights are too low too (minimum of 24")...they also pointed out the lack of side lights. They don't even want to perform the inspection and turned me away.

I am hoping to get the car registered under the SB100 program and have the referee assign a 1960 model year (not sure how that will affect the lamp issues), but I cannot get to the referee without getting my paperwork from the DMV and I can't finish my paperwork at the DMV until I get the brakes and lamps inspected / approved.

The shop told me to contact the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) to see if I can get some help on how to handle the brake and lamp inspection. I am not wanting to do that because I think that will create more questions and issues than provide solutions.

I am going to look around for another shop, but I am hoping someone in the SoCal / LA area can help guide me through this. I can only offer beer and pizza. LOL