Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Charles's '33 build Page

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    Looks like your moving along pretty good. Couple things kind of stick out though. First, the string method your Dad used to do might work with a car that has the same track width front ot rear, but your car the rear is no doubt wider than the front so the strings are not parallel side to side - so that will throw off your toe measurement. If you take a couple of jack stands and stand them up ahead of the front tires, you can use them as corner posts to wrap the string around. You can move the stands around until the string is parallel to the chassis center line, then do your toe measurements. However, you really should have all the weight of the car on the wheels with the engine and transmission in. Same goes for when you do caster and camber. Besides that, the toe is the last thing to set, although I know it's disturbing to be working on the car or showing it to someone and having the tires pointing all directions.

The rear brakes don't look right, they need to be mounted at the 10 or 2 o'clock positions. I can't think of a caliper that would be mounted in the down position like that, they will be impossible to bleed air out of.

A small detail, the rear rotors are on the "wrong" side. The directional slots should angle out in the direction of rotation to match the way you have the front. A small thing and more aesthetic than anything

Hate giving you list of issues, but easier to fix now than later.
    Thanks for the input Arrohead. I understand that the alignment needs to be done once the it is under it's full weight once the motor and tranny are in but I just wanted to get it somewhere in the ball park so it doesn't look so bad and was planning on doing it again before go karting. The whole rear end being wider than the front didn't really cross my mind, oops. lol

As for the brakes, I was thinking the same as you when it came to the direction of the slots on the rotor and the orientation of the rear calipers. I was going to install them the way I thought made the most sense but decided to install them per the instructions from Wilwood that came with the brakes. Considering they are in the brake business I figured they have been down this road and their may be a reason to install them as they suggest, so that's what I did. The rotor actually has an arrow etched in to the rotor in indicate rotation direction to install them. When it comes to bleeding the brakes, it says to rotate the caliper to the to a 9:00 or 3:00 position, bleed them and bolt back on to the brackets.

I was thinking of switching the rear axle brackets from side to side which should would put the calipers in the 10:00 position and still have the mounts for the E brake cable facing the same direction.
    Here is a picture from the Wilwood instructions that says about the bleeding them and also how they look installed on a roadster. Note that the slots on the rotors and calipers are in the same position as they way I installed mine.
    Last edited by crspdsk8; 11-26-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    No Video, but here is a picture of what stage the car is in and was taken the day of the 1st start. Please excuse the messy garage. We were in the process of replacing the flooring in our house this same weekend.lol
    Day of 1st start.jpg