Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sick(AND TIRED!) of dealing with my exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like

Sick(AND TIRED!) of dealing with my exhaust.

MKII/302 with Jpipes.

I autocross my car and this arrangement stinks. sidepipes move around a lot, sag and hit the ground, and now I have to chain one of them up.

Went to once again work on the 4 into 4's I bought from someone and neither of them fit. Even after leveling the engine, both side are 2-2.5" to high coming out the sidepipe hole. Way to high to just trim it.

Currently my options are:

1. Take the 4 into 4's to a welder, and have them grind down the flange and reposition the pipes down so they will come out the side properly.

2. Use convertible motor mounts? Will this drop the pipes enough?

3. Get something other than stainless pipes. I really don't need/want bling.

4. Build something with 3/3.5" tubing right off of the shorty headers.

5. Some suggestion you have? I need to get this done in two weeks.

TIA, Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    With off the shelf items, or possibly the 4x4's that you have, get two wedges cut that go between the header flange and exhaust ports. I had to do this to lower the exit point of the collector height on my own car. Been in there 4000 miles and no leaks. Worked great. Simply have someone machine a header flange on a sine plate to create the angled face. Elongate the holes slightly where the fasteners will pass through them. Gasket both faces. Use a 1" pin lock style header bolt. If you need a pic, I can post one for you. I am out of my office, but likely can get an EE to do that. Your wedge will go form about 5/32 down to 1/8" (+ /-) across the face. I can do the math later if you go this route. Flanges are available through Jeggs, or I can waterjet the flange for you and machine it for that matter. Let me know how I can assist. A local shop to you can easily create this part.

Found it. Hehehe.

Last edited by astglenn; 03-21-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bob. I know these are basic questions, but just covering the bases. You have them secured on the sides, right? They aren't just hanging from the j-pipes? I have the same setup, except I have the standard pipes from FFR. Mine moved around until I attached them from the side mount to the frame under the car. I wonder if your jpipes are coated? Have you tried scuffing them up where they meet the shorty header?

As far as switching to the convertible mounts, and using 4 into 4's that sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure if you are using the "old style" 4 into 4's. I know those has fitment issues... I know your engine will sit lower if you do that; I'm not sure by how much though.

HTH (a little)

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    The sidepipes should be mounted with an attachment point to the frame ..... I don't see how they could possibly sag and hit the ground unless they simply hanging off the rest of the exhaust??
    FFR cobra
    RCR Superlite
    RCR 917
    04 Cobra/Z06/Diablo/bunch of other junk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by astglenn View Post
    With off the shelf items, or possibly the 4x4's that you have, get two wedges cut that go between the header flange and exhaust ports. I had to do this to lower the exit point of the collector height on my own car. Been in there 4000 miles and no leaks. Worked great. Simply have someone machine a header flange on a sine plate to create the angled face. Elongate the holes slightly where the fasteners will pass through them. Gasket both faces. Use a 1" pin lock style header bolt. If you need a pic, I can post one for you. I am out of my office, but likely can get an EE to do that. Your wedge will go form about 5/32 down to 1/8" (+ /-) across the face. I can do the math later if you go this route. Flanges are available through Jeggs, or I can waterjet the flange for you and machine it for that matter. Let me know how I can assist. A local shop to you can easily create this part.

Found it. Hehehe.

Hey, Glenn. When did you get that "operation"? Looks like it was a success...two successes, I guess.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe: If I had all the parts in the picture, I wouldn't be making parts or working a real job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    You have them secured on the sides, right?
    Yes, but these are MKII pipes, and I had a 1/2" tube welded to the bottom and attach that to a hanger rubber that is screwed into the frame. Remember I autocross.. Then what happened is the jpipes connection to the shorties would not stay, and the front of the pipe would sag, so I hung the front with a turnbuckle. Now the glass is burned out and I am pushing being over sound limit. I have lobaks, but I want to use the 4 into 4's, instead of the jpipes, as the lobaks on the jpipes would only fix my sound problem and not all the problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, really? I can't post pictures but Glenn can post boobie girl?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice flange.
    Bob, if you need any welding just call.

I REALLY like that flange.
    Tim.

Knowledge is good-Faber.

I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention-Me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post
    Bob, if you need any welding just call.
    Pretty sure I am going to Rob's Saturday... Hopefully we will get a good weather report next week...

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You could put on twin turbos, that would fix it

Quote Originally Posted by bstuke View Post
    MKII/302 with Jpipes.

I autocross my car and this arrangement stinks. sidepipes move around a lot, sag and hit the ground, and now I have to chain one of them up.

Went to once again work on the 4 into 4's I bought from someone and neither of them fit. Even after leveling the engine, both side are 2-2.5" to high coming out the sidepipe hole. Way to high to just trim it.

Currently my options are:

1. Take the 4 into 4's to a welder, and have them grind down the flange and reposition the pipes down so they will come out the side properly.

2. Use convertible motor mounts? Will this drop the pipes enough?

3. Get something other than stainless pipes. I really don't need/want bling.

4. Build something with 3/3.5" tubing right off of the shorty headers.

5. Some suggestion you have? I need to get this done in two weeks.

TIA, Bob
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wayne. That would limit me to E Mod, and I pretty much am already even with Perry... :yes:

Post Thanks / Like
    bstuke-- I have a set of FFR 351w headers with Gas-n flanges, if you need them send a PM and there yours, just pay shipping. They worked on my car without having to cut the body anymore then what FFR did. They are a little discolored due to heat but otherwise in decent shape.
    I don't need them anymore, Upgraded to Levy's custom setup.
    Cheers,
    Bob S.
    Sig line has link to pics with pipes installed
    CLASS OF 2009 # 79 FFR MK 3.1, # 6898, Complete kit arrived 02/07/09, roller 03/30/09, first start 07/14/09, Registered 10/14/09, PPG Orange Glow over Sterling silver,427W Kieth Kraft (561hp)

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson

http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/rscocca/