FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: rear spindle lateral control arm bolt

Post Thanks / Like

rear spindle lateral control arm bolt

Anyone else having a bear of a time removing the long bolt at the bottom of the rear spindle? Nut came off fine with a little heat but the bolt seems to be frozen in the knuckle and bushings. I haven't tried to heat yet but I assume I will need to burn the bushings and heat the daylights out of the knuckle. Any advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine came out with only moderate force. Did you try tapping them out with a BFH?

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut my bolts off my WRX when I was upgrading bushings. That bolt is known to seize.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Heat and PB Blaster add brute force with a high torque gun or a bar with a pipe!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    First remove the wheel, coat the bolt in military grade napalm... homemade Styrofoam/gasoline is not going to cut it. Ignite with a map torch and really let the heat get in there.

Now it's time to start tapping, start with the hammer of Thor, and if that doesn't seem to be doing the trick, you may need to rent a pile driver.

You'll probably strike out again so get out your credit card, wait for late night TV and order yourself a dual saw. Don't have time to wait? your local tool rental place should have a jackhammer and demo saw, which should at least get some of the surface rust off.

If your still not having any luck, just wedge a hand grenade between the dust shield and the bolt and pull the pin.

Then call the dealer and get new bolts.

In all seriousness though, don't call Thor and ask to borrow his hammer. I snapped the handle on it after 3 hits on the bolt and he was pretty pissed.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    this is known as the BigAssBolt in subaru world. it's a pain. anywhere salt is used, or moderately moist climates, water/salt gets in the recesses of the knuckle and rusts the knuckle to the bolt. I've had to cut countless bolts, and had to scrap a few knuckles because of it. (bent the knuckle in a press trying to press the remains of the bolt out)

i suggest soaking in your preferred rust remover/penetraitor for MANY days before even attempting to remove.