Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
Frank,
How much axial movement does your inner CV joint Have?
I'm not familiar with that type.
Bob
Well, so far after fitting 1 axle in a yet-not-ready-spindle-but-enough-to-get-the-hang-of-it, it seems I have enough play on all 3 axial dimensions, up-down, front-back and side-side (inner CV extension). Which axial movement exactly were you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
Be really careful with the rear backing plates. As I'm sure you know, they locate the rear brake calipers and when pressing old bearings out and new bearings into the spindles, it's real tricky to do it without bending that backing plate. The plate has to be on before you press the hubs in. I bent my backing plates a bit doing it; not enough to be a major problem but until I replace those plates (which requires replacing the bearings as well), I'll never get full use out of a set of rear brake pads because the inside will wear out before the outside one. The spindle is just an awkward shape and there isn't a good way to make it sit flat in a press.
Good point. The plates look ok and as straight as they were before, I'll mention that to my mech when he's change again the bearings, especially the new set will go on the other set of spindles which required removing and reinstalling the plates.

Quote Originally Posted by svanlare View Post
Nice to get it figured out, even if it means a new trip to the BOD. Mine is still on the side of the house, in case I'm not done with part cleaning.
Yeah you never know when this might come handy again!

But plz, I highly suggest anyone not to make a mistake about spindles, it's a pain to play with those all the time and a full set of bearings/seals costs USD$100 with shipping to CAD.