Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oil pan suggestions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Thanks for the informative post KillerB. I'm a dealer for your parts and can vouch for how nice the parts are.
    Your thoughts on putting the 11mm STI pump on the motors? And do you have a dry sump system you like?
    No problem and thanks so much for supporting our products!

I am not a proponent of upsizing the oil pump. The factory size exceeds the flow needed in stock form, and even when bearing clearances are increased. Using a ball bearing turbo also further reduces oiling demand due to a smaller oil restrictor. So when you increase clearances and decrease the restrictor you are essentially the same as OEM. Opening up the clearnaces on a built engine with a journal bearing turbo still does not push the OEM size pump beyond its capabilities. If anything, the bypass valve will fully open less; aerating the oil less, and not increasing oil temperatures as much. The less you bypass the beter for the oil and oil condition. The only time we recommend upsizing the pump is when clearances exceed +.020" on the mains and +.022" on the rods with a journal bearing turbo. This is essentially how a drag engine is built, not what you'd want in a street build or road coarse car.

I like the Peterson R4 scavenge setup, but again we rarely recommend dry sump. The only two scenarios where we recommend it is oval/circle running on a continuous bank, and Suby powered aerobatic aircraft. The aircraft setup is pretty cool as it allows ANY orientation of the engine, but WAY overkill for a car. IMO a budget setup would run 3-stages, all scavenge, with the OEM oil pump. A high end setup would use 5-stages (4 scavenge, one pump) and not utilize the OEM pump. This setup would also use a sealed PCV and vacuum regulator to manage crankcase vacuum. I do not like any of the off the shelf dry setups as they are overpriced for what they are, and do not scavenge from the heads.

Let me know if anyone has any questions
    Last edited by killerbmotorsport; 02-12-2014 at 08:43 AM.