Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFRSpec72 818R Build Seattle WA

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Gator, would then oil filter prevent the glitter from getting back into the engine?
    Bob
    That is the theory. In practice it often results in a destroyed engine (sometime down the road). The sooner you catch it the better and less likely the engine is hurt. Some guys on their street cars keep driving thru the pre-catastrophic symptoms which results in trashed engine bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    I don't know if that is what happened, the water side has all the damage, so not sure what if any went in the oil, I would think there would be some prevention to keep that from happening as I surely hop my engine is not gone.
    It's probably fine. But you'll want to pull the pan and check it both for Alum glitter and run a magnet around in it for steel. Then cut the oil filter open and unfold it for a close look. Then decide what the next course is.

There's a Blown Turbo Wiki at the LGT forum that covers all this: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ki-173358.html

The general rule of thumb is if the engine blows you have to re-build the turbo too. If the tubo fails you may have to rebuild the engine.

There's one guy on the LGT forum that does a super job rebuilding turbos, I can PM you his info. I have one of his custom rebuilds on my Spec B.
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 04-30-2017 at 01:08 AM.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer