Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818R Suspension and the Steering Rack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will toss in bit of a layman's view here...

In a manual steering car, you feel castor the most when you come out of a turn and lean into the gas and the steering wheel wants to straighten out, and in a tight low speed turn you can let the steering wheel slide through your hands and then catch it as the car straightens out. I am old enough that my first few cars had manual steering so I felt this all the time. With power steering it is more subtle, but still there.

For a racer, and talking about steering feel, it is castor that you pull against when you hold a turn. If you don't have much, it is harder to feel the reduction of that turning "pull" as you get to the limit and the traction is going away. So we would like to have enough castor to provide a good feel, but not so much that makes it hard to steer. So naturally power steering changes the equation.
    John Huft -- #154 R

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want to hijack the thread but I need to move to the rear suspension for a minute. I mocked up the rear links. With the lateral links at 16 inches the top link is in the short side even with 3 degrees camber. How long are your lateral links after alignment.818 rear link 001.JPG