Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brando's Newbie 818R Build Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brando's Newbie 818R Build Thread

Happy Holidays!

It was around 7 years ago I was racing a built EVO 7 at Buttonwillow time attack day and left standing still by what ended up a FF5 spec racer. I spoke with the driver between heats and he educated me about factory five. That's where it all started. First question was which of the Cobra's to purchase, street or spec. Fortunately I waited a few months to attend a yearly car show FF5 participates in at Knotts Berry Farm. I don't know if you have tried sitting in the Shelby Cobra but I can tell you it's not made for a 6'5" guy. Fortunately they had the GTM and let me sit in it. Surprisingly I had plenty of leg room but nearly no visibility. I was still in love and spent the next few years growing and tanking my first business in pursuit of building this $40k supercar. My first business and the GTM didn't go as planned and I rebuilt my life. 6 years later my rebuild was successful I am not only ready to do this again, but this time I'm qualified.
    Bring it on 818R, I have waited a long time for your big V8 brothers but now your my #1. Don't worry little 818, their just jealous your faster with half the cylinders.

I also would like to add that Brandi and I are bringing a little bundle of joy into this world towards the end of January. This is her 2nd (lovely 11 year old girl) and my first. Her name is Raquel nick-name Rocki. I'm even more excited about that then my 818 arrival, and that's staggering in my world.
    So that means January I have to put every ounce of time into this project.

Here is where I am at:
    Model: 818R
    Pickup Date: December 21, 2013
    Delivery date: Jan 17th, 2014
    Completion Date Goal: April 26th, 2014

Chassis:
    Powder coated
    Carbon Fiber Rear Race Spoiler
    Carbon Fiber Rear Race Diffuser
    Carbon Fiber Race Splitter

Motor:
    2004 EJ20
    16g Turbo
    750cc injectors
    Killer B pickup and baffle
    Outfront Fuel Rails
    Grimspeed ceramic coated inside/outside - exhaust manifold, cross pipe, up pipe
    Cusco Motor/trans mounts
    340 lpm fuel pump
    BOV TBD

ECU:
    VCP Wireharness and switchboard
    Electromotive Tec-S ECU

Trans:
    2004 Stock 5 speed
    Exedy stage 2 clutch
    ACT flywheel

Brakes:
    Wilwood 12" Red - Slotted & Drilled
    Pads TBD

Wheels:
    Enkei Kojin
    17x8 + 45 Front
    18x8.5 + 45 Rear

Tires:
    Hoosiers R6
    225/40-17 Front heat cycled
    255/35-18 Rear heat cycled

The Process:
    photo-working-on-car_compressed.jpgI found this little jem on craigslist for $250. It didn't have a motor or transmission but everything else seemed in tact

Oops, broke the cabinet door.

IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0072.JPG IMG_0056.JPG photo8.JPG
    Stripped her clean (took me longer than anticipated ~20hr and that's without a motor removal)

IMG_0075.JPG IMG_0081.JPG
    Then another trip to craigslist to find these 2 hard working fellas who tore this car to pieces in 2 hours flat then towed it off for scrap.

IMG_2003.JPG
    Ebay led me to this motor. EJ20 turbo, 45k mi, 5 speed, wiring harness, radiator, turn key from Miami engine import. $3k delivered.

IMG_0084.JPG
    I couldn't get out of work to meet the engines delivery time so I picked it up at the dispatch location and used a hoist to get it out of my truck

IMG_0086.JPG
    Now its on the palette which i recently added casters too so I can roll it around. My next plan is to remove anything i don't need from the motor, but first I need to dig a bit on exactly what that is. I also want to pull the transmission and install a new clutch which will be a first for me. Honestly I'm not even sure how to properly secure the motor/trans when they separate. Can i sit the engine down on the oil pan? Perhaps I need an engine stand or something like that. LMK
    Last edited by Brando; 02-24-2014 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Updated Motor/tire/wheels details