FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: So I Stupidly / Deliberately Bought a Car That Needs a Bunch of Work - DONOR THREAD

Post Thanks / Like

My donor thread - 04 wrx

There's no good running WRXs for less than about $8k around here, so I grabbed a running, tagged, one for 5k. I have ZERO experience working on cars, though my work on computers calls for an engineers discipline. The goal of this folly is to spend a few months going over this car, fixing all the issues as needed, and gathering tools and learning systems so on Dec 20, when my kit is scheduled, I'm not faced with an 818 kit, a crashed WRX and zero skills.

Vital Statistics

• 2004 WRX Blobeye Wagon
    • 186,742 miles at purchase
    • San Remo Red
    • $5200 purchase price

Mechanical Issues Identified

• Oil coating both sides of engine
    • Blocked / wet PCV hard lines (front of TMIC)
    • Cracked, hardened, oily hoses
    • Ripped CV boots
    • Worn rotors - replace
    • Worn pads - replace
    • Weak first gear syncros (same as every other old WRX I've driven)
    • Steering rack wet (from below UJ) with oil/PS fluid - seals?
    • Unknown rattle on letting off throttle - up-pipe cat fragmented, heat-shields?
    • Puked a bunch of oil out in the two days before I picked her up
    • Needs a timing belt, all pulleys - last change unknown though probably at 100k ish
    • Needs a water pump - recommended by Subaru on second timing belt change
    • Gearshift bushing are utterly shot - replace
    • Some knock identified - post MAF leaks? oil contamination from PCV system?

Good Points

• No smoke from oil filler at idle, will do a proper compression check later
    • Engine runs and idles sweetly
    • No CELs - i.e. engine is not mis-firing or in limp mode, that said it's not really very happy
    • Turbo appears to boost ok though I tried to stay out of boost on the way home,
    • Made a 200 mile drive home without a hitch - no boost seems to equal no oil loss
    • All electrics appear functional except a few window switches (drivers panel works)
    • No bearing noises, clunks, groans
    • Aside from bushings, shifts better than my 2013
    • Coolant and oil are dirty, but don't appear to have mixed, so HG hopefully ok
    • Bonus set of almost new BRZ rims, albeit plast-dipped white (badly, thin coat)
    • AC works!

I'll update this thread sporadically, but if this helps anyone like me, who's new to getting oily, my NASIOC thread is http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2585291

I also have help from a significant number of local Subaru enthusiasts, and I plan on using outside services where appropriate, such as for a turbo rebuild, head skimming, tuning etc.
    Last edited by jontexas; 05-27-2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Fix title

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright, so I'll be pulling the motor and doing HGs and seals. There's some indication of HG failure, and some wet oil around the exhaust cams.

Teardown started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! I've seen wrecked ones go for more on Copart, so that's not bad, all things considered.

What are your plans for the engine? Are you going to add any performance bits, or just do maintenance stuff?

One thing you might consider is a new turbo. Based on your description, that one needs some work at the least. If you get a new one, you could pick one to meet your specific goals.

Also, there are a lot of things you might consider doing to improve the reliability & longevity of the engine, like a KillerB oil pickup, etc. I'm sure folks on the forum, as well as your local Subaru crowd, will have a ton of suggestions for you.

I found donor tear down good fun. Cleaning & reconditioning parts, not so much. Good luck with your donor!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, at the moment, I'm just planning to do the head gaskets, get any necessary machining done and check the mains, and anything else I can get at. I will do a TGV delete, renew all hoses, and I'll check the oil pickup, if it looks good, I may just leave it. The failure rate is pretty low, though you wouldn't think it from the furor on NASIOC. Maybe do a lightened flywheel, and definitely a new OEM clutch.

With the engine out, it'll give good access to get in and pull the axles, renew boots, and opportunity to do a dry run of pulling the suspension. Of course, everything I touch will be scrubbed clean, played with, retorqued to spec etc.

I've found my shop halogens really useful, but a head flashlight has been fantastic for getting lots of light on tricky things like the radiator fan connectors that are tough to disconnect in a tight space.

Progress so far:

* Battery, washer reservoir, air cleaner, intercooler removed,
    * Coolant drained, coolant hoses removed,
    * Radiator fans off,
    * PB Blaster applied to suspension and muffler bolts
    * V belts removed

Still need to coordinate getting the gear together to actually lift the engine out!

Post Thanks / Like

Finally some progress - Engine is out, and getting cleaned up.

Finally some progress - Engine is out, and getting cleaned up.

I have a flywheel, clutch, gasket and seal set, water pump, timing belt kit. Thinking about a KillerB too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you think maybe just cut your loss or do you plan on keeping it forever?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman2343 View Post
    Do you think maybe just cut your loss or do you plan on keeping it forever?
    ??? Not sure what you mean. I'll get this cleaned up, rebuilt, tested in the WRX, then get the WRX stripped before my kit arrives in September. That's the plan anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    The one nice thing about a donor with some problems is you'll get to do the upgrades and repair, and so you'll know exactly what you're putting into your 818. I don't envy the extra work though!