FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Show Me Your Center Console

Post Thanks / Like

Show Me Your Center Console

The next phase of my build is fitting the doors, trunk, hood, etc. Besides that I am starting to think about the center console. For those of you that have built center consoles into your car, I just wanted to get some ideas/details about what you have done. I plan to mount my switch plates, stereo, and a cup holder if I have the room. I might include a touch of carbon fiber. Show me your consoles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

\
    Mine is built on a slide. In the aft position, a box is exposed with ign. & switches
    Last edited by Tim Whittaker; 12-31-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Tim, beautiful. One of my concerns is the depth required for the two switch panels. I plan to use a double din touch screen stereo and mounting it where the console curves up toward the dash. Other than that, I need to mount the switches in a convenient place. The ignition switch panel has to be mounted where I won't accidentally flip the aircraft style switch down and kill the motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    My console isn't quite finished but you should get the ideaconsole 1.jpgConsole 2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! I love that engine turned look. Is the console with the arm rest have storage inside? Also, what stereo did you decide to go with? Thanks for the pics.

Evan

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is in my 33 build thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Evan,

The arm rest does have storage inside. It also holds my additional fuse block. I went way overboard with the stereo system. I put in a Kenwood 6190 and in the trunk I have two amps, a powered sub, and a mixer. Total output 3500 watts. From what I have read on the forums, people all say their stereo isn't powerful enough for the road/engine noise. I don't think this car will have that problem. There is a back-up camera that will be hooked up later to the stereo.

The metal is actually from a sheet of wavy aluminum that I bought from http://www.onlinemetals.com. Alum.jpg. I have changed what I am doing with the dash. I have made an insert out of the wavy aluminum. The online metal place also sells sheets of the same kind of thing in stainless.

Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! That stereo ought to sound good. Hopefully you used enough Dynamat and Lizardskin. Lol Thanks for your input.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great build thread . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem, this forum has helped me so much that it's the least I can do to help others. For me, a picture is worth a thousand words. If there is anything I can help out with, let me know.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Evan, now I have to buy a sheet metal brake and some aluminum stock. Keep the ideas coming guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm here to help you spend your money Boz.

By the way, nice Fairlane. I've always liked those. I sold a '62 Biscayne to buy my '33. I've had many muscle cars over the years. Hope you had a great Holiday season.

Post Thanks / Like
    C'mon guys, dont be shy. Show me what you got. i.e. Lame excuse for a bump.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have a console. I have my accessory switches (power windows, wiper, interior light, line lock master switch, power steering master switch and a spare) and computers mounted to a drop down panel under the dash instead. The panel is hinged from the firewall for access to the engine computer, relay board, transmission computer and additional fuse blocks. I can pretty much service anything without lying on my back. I have an auto trans so the fuse panel is mounted on the other side of the column where the clutch pedal would go.

So, I mounted the big FFR badge that was supposed to go on the steering wheel (I have a horn button) on the tunnel and it makes a perfect suction cup base for my phone holder. I use that for GPS and music. When I take it to a car show, the suction cup mount comes off and the wires are tucked under the dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    DSCN5607.JPG

This is my interior shot taken a year ago. The instrument panel is now brushed aluminum.
    Chuck

Mk1, MK3, Hotrod, Gen 3 Daytona Coupe, RF GT40
    Hang Up and Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much guys. Arrowhead, I love the thought process behind hiding all of the switches and everything. Very nice. I did the same thing with my ignition, dimmer, and headlight switch.

That interior is gorgeous Chuck. Is the console constructed of aluminum, wood, or combo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Aluminum

Chuck
    Chuck

Mk1, MK3, Hotrod, Gen 3 Daytona Coupe, RF GT40
    Hang Up and Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the console in place. I used 1/8" MDF so it's light and easy.

Test fit.

Finished product covered in black vinyl. Man I need to stop using my iphone to take pics. It's just so damn convenient.

Getting close!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Erik, i always liked the look of your center console. I appreciate the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work!