Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote starter won't crank?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you turn the key do you hear a click from the starter? If not - double check all of your connections and re trace each wire and confirm against the wiring diagram. Also, Double check that the crank turns freely by using a large socket on the crank bolt on the front of the engine. If the crank turns freely, than the wiring is the issue.

If the Crank does not turn freely and if you are using the FFR recommended FRPP aluminum bell housing, the fly wheel may be binding against the bell housing. This happened to me and I had to pull the engine and trans to remove the bell housing to grind off a very small amount from the bell housing causing the interference. I previously documented this issue and posted pictures on this for reference in the coyote forum. If you are using a different bell housing than the FRPP part listed by FFR, then this can be ruled out and it is the wiring.

Hopefully it is just the wiring

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    When you turn the key do you hear a click from the starter? If not - double check all of your connections and re trace each wire and confirm against the wiring diagram. Also, Double check that the crank turns freely by using a large socket on the crank bolt on the front of the engine. If the crank turns freely, than the wiring is the issue.

If the Crank does not turn freely and if you are using the FFR recommended FRPP aluminum bell housing, the fly wheel may be binding against the bell housing. This happened to me and I had to pull the engine and trans to remove the bell housing to grind off a very small amount from the bell housing causing the interference. I previously documented this issue and posted pictures on this for reference in the coyote forum. If you are using a different bell housing than the FRPP part listed by FFR, then this can be ruled out and it is the wiring.

Hopefully it is just the wiring

Good luck
    No starter click. Dead. No 12v on the trigger wire at the starter when key turned to crank (as previously stated and confirmed with a couple other people the wire is tan/light green).

I'm using a QuickTime bell housing and confirmed that it turns when starter jumped manually.

Going to play with the neutral lockout circuit to guarantee a clean ground. It is grounded together with the Ron Francis harness now. Maybe the controls pack doesn't like noise...

Kevin
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread