I was watching the Nascar awards banquet recently and was surprised by the middle segment where they ran a list of racing's notables lost in 2013.

My uncle (Clyde Ellis) was one of the names scrolling by. While I was of course aware of his death I hadn't known he would be mentioned there.

In reflection he belongs on that list, and note-able hardly describes the man.

He was a dirt track racer here in the Midwest until he had a near fatal crash and was partially paralyzed at a local track. After that he couldn't race anymore so he became a track official, track manager, track owner and traveling manager scoring the Midwest IMCA circuit. I just always thought of him as a family member, role model/mentor. His broken ribs, collar bone, severed finger, retina damage, skull fracture and paralysis of his left arm was likely due to his shoulder harness being anchored way too far behind the seat. In spite of all the damage he built a successful business empire in KC including many muffler shops, the track, and owning lots of real estate both commercial and residential. He also financed several small businesses some of which were close enough to be in competition with his own. A stranger would see his bad arm and think him handicapped but those who knew him were aware that he was the most able person they knew. He had the biggest heart and gave more second and third chances than most of us deserved. Traveling with him on the IMCA circuit is where I learned to love the sound of a Hemi wound up and getting it done.
Dale Berry
Hemi