Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Has anyone tried to insure their car yet? Any problems?

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried to insure their car yet? Any problems?

I am ready to start my build and was thinking about insurance and the value of the car.
    Any ideas?

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    yep..USAA. did it over the phone. Will be swapping to State Farm and will do "stated value" or "declared value" policy like I do for my Cobra. Best recommendation is look over on the roaster forum..too easy
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't remember which is which but stated value vs agreed upon value are different. One pays out the actual value of the car the other uses value to define premiums but allows the insurer to adjust the payout as they see fit according g to their calculations of worth.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    On the FFR Roadster forum Midwest Classic is a very popular insurer - http://www.midwestclassicins.com/
    And, it's a forum vendor! I used them for my roadster but never smashed it so . . . it was money wasted, eh?
    For more info, search insurance among the other FFR forums and you'll see lots.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Indiana also and have an agreed value policy for my roadster with State Farm as does the owner of another one I just built. No useage or mileage limitations. $30-$35K coverage runs <$500 annually. Let me know if you need title & registration information; we have it easy here in comparison to many other states.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Amica $700 a year for full coverage on 35k in R.I

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.grandsportregistry.com/CI...reed_Value.pdf

There it is. Stated value is the one you don't want. Agreed value is the one you do want.

Jeff what coverage limits do you have? I have high limits on my other cars for medical/property ($500k) so even the insurance on my street cars is more than $500/yr, all worth less than $28k.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig,
    Same limits as all of the daily drivers; $300K PD, $500K PI & medical, $250 deductable on collision and comp., uninsured motorist and towing. It is less expensive than any of our other vehicles (Ram 2500 4X4, Dakota 4X4 and Subie Forester) aside from the horse trailer.

BTW, I just checked the latest billing while getting the limitation info above and the 6 month premium is $178.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    yep..USAA. did it over the phone. Will be swapping to State Farm and will do "stated value" or "declared value" policy like I do for my Cobra. Best recommendation is look over on the roaster forum..too easy
    Erik, was this straight through USAA, or through their "collector car" insurance provider, American Collector's Insurance?

Thanks!
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    I've called a bunch of places myself and from what I found out since it's a kit car they limit your mileage to about 3,000-7,500 miles a year with agreed value depending on the insurance company. Anyone know of any decently priced companies to insure it for a daily driver with agreed value and hopefully less than $1,000 a year?

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the Cobra owners I know use Aviva (or a subsidiary) to insure their kit cars. They seem to do a lot of kit cars, and they actually know what an Factory Five is, so that should help with the process.
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    First start: Sept 28, 2014
    Go-carted: Oct 4, 2014
    Registered and Street legal Sept 30, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw this thread looking for headlight info, and noticed my insurer isn't mentioned yet. I went through the National Corvette Museum in KY. The one that made the news with the sinkhole earlier this year. They seemed the most interested in the business of the several places I contacted. Stated value while under construction. Once complete, goes to agreed value with mileage tiers. (If I didn't get those two terms switched around, lol).

Found them in the GTM forum.
    Last edited by Goldwing; 09-09-2014 at 10:24 PM.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14