Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sound control and heat insulation

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sound control and heat insulation

What is the best product? I see a lot of lizard skin in the posts. How about Dynamat? Do most folks coat panels before install or after? Both sides of panels or just the inside? As always, lots of question and zero answers!

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    I am coating the underside of mine with the Lizard skin sound control and heat insulation before install. I am planing to coat the inside after installation. Have not decided on the interior coating. If I have enough lizardskin I will use that, if not probably fatmat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too used Lizard Skin (sound control and heat insulation) before installing the floors and trunk panels on my '33 build and found that the 2 gallon containers of each product was enough to do both sides of each panel. But I have not used it on the firewall and foot boxes. I could only buy the product in that volume and if I had not covered both sides of the panels I would have only thrown out what I hadn't used. I will have to wait until my car is on the road before I can recommend this product but the coated panels sound like cardboard when you knock on them!

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What ever you do, double it up on the firewall, it's like a huge radiator. After the first summer I pulled it apart and insulated the backside of the firewall with 1/2" foam insulation and it made a huge difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using Lizardskin on the bottom side of the panels, underbody, and trans tunnel. I am using a product called Stinger Roadkill, similar to Dynamat but cheaper on the interior. The quality seems to be really good but we will see how it performs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I used dyno mat in and out Be sure to do the firewall and footboxes a lot of heat comes through the firewall

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone used AL's liner? Like the insulation Arrowhead.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used second skin’s products. It was a bit pricy but bought it all on a sale. It worked incredibly well. I lined the cockpit and trunk with Damplifier Pro, then used Heat Wave Pro on the firewall areas and the floors with Luxury Liner Pro. If I were to do it again, I’m not sure that I would go with Second Skin. You would probably get the same performance with other brands. Don’t get me wrong its really nice but for +$500 you can buy a lot of FatMat. Here is the firewall insulation;
    HeatWavePro__96346.1352421402.180.150.jpg
    Doug
    FFR# 7018, IRS pin drive, 5.0/T5
    FFR# 7228, 3link 4.6 DOHC MK4

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always used Fat Mat in my builds. The 100sq/ft package is $139 compared to the others being 2-4 times the price.
    Doug