Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MKIV Trunk Lid on a MK3 How-To

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spent the better part of the afternoon in the shop working on the trunk latch and finishing up the support struts.
    Here is the backing plate, it is mounted with Evercoat polyurethane panel bonding adhesive and then glassed over with resin and fiberglass mat.

Here is a picture of the strike bolts, the new one versus the old one on the right. The prototype on the right was a bit big but knowing I was going to be doing this all over again for the MK4 lid, it didn't need to be pretty. The new one, on the left, is much smaller and a bit more attractive.

I used low expanding foam behind the hinge backing plates mounted inside the trunk lid. You can see a bit oozing through the threaded mounting holes. It will act as an adhesive and also allow the plate to move a bit in the future if I need a little more adjustment.

Last one for today. I got the lid mounted back on the car late this afternoon and attached the support struts. Looks like everything is lining up well.
    Last edited by frankeeski; 01-20-2014 at 12:31 AM.
    Frank