Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Frame disposal in southern California

Post Thanks / Like

Frame disposal in southern California

I was wondering what everyone else was doing with their donor frame. So far the metal recyclers I have called have told me either $10 or $30 per ton. Would cost more to get a trailer to haul it. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut mine up into pieces two people could carry then posted a free scrap metal ad on craigslist. It was gone an hour later.

Post Thanks / Like
    We cut ours up into pieces and took them over in the back of my truck. It took two trips but the place was close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is your frame damaged or not? My frame was in perfect shape so I sold it for $500 on CL
    IMAG0160.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    i sold the body shell of my 95 mustang for $400 on Craigslist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Is your frame damaged or not? My frame was in perfect shape so I sold it for $500 on CL
    IMAG0160.jpg
    yes, the car was a salvage. Damage to the driver side rear brake light area and the driver side passenger door.

Post Thanks / Like
    What did they pay you per # for the metal?

Post Thanks / Like
    I got $180/ton. Cut it up into pieces I could pick up myself and strapped onto a 5'x8' trailer.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    When I parted out my Mustang in 2013, I got $0.10/lb. That worked out to $86 for the shell by the time I'd stripped it down to nothing. Fortunately, I was able to borrow a flatbed trailer to haul it. I winched it onboard with a come along. The recycler picked it with a forklift. I got more ($96) for the factory catted H-pipe, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got rid of mine a few weeks ago. What a pain. None of the metal recycler's would take it since they don't have an auto dismantler's license. None of the Auto wrecker's would take it since there weren't enough usable parts left on it, even the auto wrecker I bought it from! The scrap yard told me to cut into smaller pieces and they would take it. Fortunately a friend of a friend knew the owner of the place I bought it from, they eventually took it off my hands. If I'd of known it was going to be such a hassle I would have gone the donorless route.
    818R Build date 10/31/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielsDM View Post
    I got rid of mine a few weeks ago. What a pain. None of the metal recycler's would take it since they don't have an auto dismantler's license. None of the Auto wrecker's would take it since there weren't enough usable parts left on it, even the auto wrecker I bought it from! The scrap yard told me to cut into smaller pieces and they would take it. Fortunately a friend of a friend knew the owner of the place I bought it from, they eventually took it off my hands. If I'd of known it was going to be such a hassle I would have gone the donorless route.
    This obviously varies by region. Good advice to call a few recyclers before deciding donor/donorless, though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sold mine on Craigslist as well ($100). It went the next day. I guess I should've asked for a bit more, even though it was rusty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Placed an ad in Craig's list and had 5 scrap dealers calling me within 90 minutes. The first one to show up took everything.