Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Donor vs no donor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FuelXC View Post
    ...Getting the donor stripped isn't so much a concern, but what to do with it after... Can't see anyone wanting a salvaged body other than a scrap metal place...
    You sell all the bolt on stuff to local WRX guys that are fixing their crash damage. Doors, fenders, hood, trunk, bumpers, grill, etc. If you buy a wreck, there will be a few of those parts already damaged that you can't sell. But then you paid a lot less for the car.

Either way you left with a shell, that if damaged yes, only a scrap yard will take (and you may have to chop it up into pieces for them to take it). But if its undamaged body, you could sell it whole as a shell project to someone building a rally car.

I hate though to see perfectly servicable cars used as donors. Seems 'better' to recycle a wrecked car. But again, if you find a local guy parting a wrecked car, most of the hard to buy new donor bits are going to be stuff he won't be able to sell to WRX crowd anyway, so you should be able to get for a good deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are not using a donor, is there any better option for the rear knuckle/upright than '05+WRX?
    An STi knuckle will work, with modifications. That would be a starting point for me. I want 5 X 114 lug pattern.
    I have an'08 and I like the brake caliper mount better and I was able to get rid of the dust shield portion of the backing plate and allow for better cooling and less weight. The backing plate on the GDs is massive. Part of it's mass is needed to hold the caliper. I guess some of it could be cut away.
    Is there any other version of a Subaru rear suspension that has the big bearings and 5 X 114 hubs of the '05+ WRX/STi that deals with the backing plate and caliper mounting any differently ? Should I make my own custom caliper mount? I don't want a parking brake.