BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How do I make these lights fit????

Post Thanks / Like

Angry How do I make these lights fit????

I'm getting bogged down with some difficult aspects of my build so I decided to jump to a smaller task to get the satisfaction of actually completing a step. I decided to install the front lights on my GenII. Yeh, well you can guess how that went. Headlights don't fit well in the pre-drilled slots. It seems you actually have to cut one of the tabs off the light to make it fit - is this correct or can someone suggest a better fix? Can you still have full adjustment capabilities with 3 tabs?
    Then I moved on to the smaller turn signal lights. I can't figure out how to even get these into the pre-drilled holes. The angle of the surrounding bucket and the molded ring around the light make it impossible to get the light inserted. I could widen the hole to make it fit, but that would make it look like crap from the outside with a huge gap between the bucket and the light? Any suggestions? Thanks. EB

Post Thanks / Like
    On the headlights themselves, those little tabs are NOT used for mounting. You use the four larger mounting tabs, along with long adjustment screws that snap into place (3 on each light). The adjustment screws snap into little retainers that snap into holes in the bucket that you drill with the help of the FFR template. Also, the lenses protrude only about 1/4" into the headlight bucket, so yours are pushed way too far forward.

As for the turn signal, I couldn't get mine all the way in. Each side they protrude only about 3/4" into the bucket. I used a dremel to help remove some of the turn signal housing, and some spacers between it and the body when I screwed it into place.

I've attached some pictures. Sorry for the dirt - just came in from a 50 mile drive on slightly snowy but very salty roads.

Feel free to PM if you need more help.

-Michael

DSC02850.JPG DSC02851.JPG DSC02852.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good thing you stopped and sought help. One more tab and you would likely need to purchase some new lamps:scared:. All is well though, as you only need three.

The manual has some good pictures, that will help, and does a good job covering the head lamp install.

The turns require some trim of the bucket. I like Michael's technique. If you want to have them go flush to the bucket you will need to remove some of the outer fg of the bucket in that area.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you enlarge the headlight holes big enough so you have some adjustment when you're done. The headlights don't adjust very well when they're already wedged up against the fiberglass. We use a drill with a large hole saw with sandpaper wrapped around the hole saw to sand the holes to a larger size.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts