Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: As requested a group purchase for Quaife TBD differentials

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

As requested a group purchase for Quaife TBD differentials

Hey there everyone,

So I recently posted a group purchase for new Cusco plate type differentials, and then received a request for a Torque Biased option as well. So here you go.

Quaife Differentials come in two types male or female depending on the year of your gearbox.

The Impreza differential that has a male half-shaft attached for the female axles. (QDH1Y) These are a bit more expensive as a result. $1150.00

The Impreza differential that has a female flange on the differential and accepts a male axle flange. (QDH3Y) These are a pretty good deal. $725.00

Please call me with any questions that I can help you with. I would like to be able to purchase these in groups of 5 if possible, but I will always try to help anyone who needs one right away as much as possible.

Thanks much for looking and I look forward to working with you.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

320_QDH1Y.jpgQuaife QDH3Y.jpg
    Last edited by The Race Line; 02-06-2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity and new information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eric
    I did a search on the Quaife web site.
    http://quaife.co.uk/shop/search/resu...my%3A621%2C353
    I don't see the one that will fit my 06 impreza (male axles) with MT5 transmission.
    Bob

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What are the part numbers of each diff?
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That is a pretty good deal for the latter.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an old female axle style 5MT transmission, but my donor came with a new male axle style 4EAT. Can I use the new style diff in the older transmission with my male CVs from the donor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Interested in a male axle version if it can be confirmed to fit a 2006 WRX.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there everyone,

Okay so if I understand what everyone is asking here. You are working with the WRX GDA 5 speed (not the STI, which is the GDB) correct?

I have some who need a differential that will accept a male axle flange, that is one that has a axle shaft that slides into the differential, correct?

I also have some who need a differential that has half-shafts installed into the differential already and accepts a female axle, correct?

So let's start here. I have a email into Michael Quaife to get confirmation of fitment for these.

I also want to be certain that none of you are currently using a STI gearbox yet correct?

I am sure that I can find a good solution for everyone, I just want to be sure of exactly what everyone is in need of here.

Thanks and I will get this all worked out here, so that there is no confusion, or issues with fitment, which is my primary concern here. I also want to make sure that everyone here is using the TBD Torque Biased Differential for the street and is NOT building these for track use, correct? If your build here is going to be designed for track use a TBD differential is probably NOT what you are looking for, and this process becomes much easier, as I have solutions for plate type differentials, and can answer questions regarding fitment on these right now.

Thank you for your patience. The Subaru differentials are a bit different with regard to fitment, so I want to make sure everyone gets what they are looking for.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

Post Thanks / Like
    GDA here. Stock 5spd manual transmission. 99% street use. 1% track use.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    All street here. My transmission is from a MY2000 Japanese market WRX. Model #TY754VBAAA.

I have both female and male axles, so I hope the cheaper version of the differential fits.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I called and talked to Quaife over a year ago they told me that only the one with stub axles on the diff fit my 05 WRX 5 speed, that is why I had to change my axles. I did buy it for $1033 though, must have been new old stock.

QDH1Y has stub axles attached to the diff, req. 02-04 female inner CVs
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 02-04-2014 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Added Quaife info
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    When I called and talked to Quaife over a year ago they told me that only the one with stub axles on the diff fit my 05 WRX 5 speed, that is why I had to change my axles. I did buy it for $1033 though, must have been new old stock.
    So, maybe the $725.00 one is a Phase II and the other is a Phase I. That would be good news for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    The USDM WRX from 02-04 has a male diff and female axles.

The 05-07 has a female diff and male axles.
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SixStar View Post
    The USDM WRX from 02-04 has a male diff and female axles.

The 05-07 has a female diff and male axles.
    Yea, but the axle connectors are part of the differential, so a 2005 with a Quaife differential has male splines in the transmissions and requires female axles. That's why RM1SepEx had to change axles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    Yea, but the axle connectors are part of the differential, so a 2005 with a Quaife differential has male splines in the transmissions and requires female axles. That's why RM1SepEx had to change axles.
    Exactly. I don't want people to think the 01+ is accurate. It will require using 02-04 inners.

I have a few questions for the seller. I see you have a 970 number, where are you located? My shop is in Greeley. Also, how were you able to arrange such an unbelievable price? My COST on the QDH1Y is a few hundred over what you're asking. What does lead time look like? I was told 5 weeks today as they have zero in the US and they would be coming from the UK directly.
    Last edited by SixStar; 02-04-2014 at 08:39 PM.
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SixStar View Post
    Exactly. I don't want people to think the 01+ is accurate. It will require using 02-04 inners.

I have a few questions for the seller. I see you have a 970 number, where are you located? My shop is in Greeley. Also, how were you able to arrange such an unbelievable price? My COST on the QDH1Y is a few hundred over what you're asking. What does lead time look like? I was told 5 weeks today as they have zero in the US and they would be coming from the UK directly.
    I heard the same thing from the only US distributor for Quaife a month ago.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there Todd or Keith, (sorry you didn't sign your post)

I run the sales end of The Race Line out of Berthoud, and the Shop is in Boulder, so not too far away from you. As to my pricing, I am not sure what to say about that other than I have done a lot business in the past, so perhaps I get a better price? I would be happy to help you anyway I can, but keep in mind that in the case of the Quaife differentials, I make a VERY small amount on these, which I was kind of driven into by some of the other shops pricing here, which is fine. That said normal retail on the QDH1Y is $1227.76 so if you are paying something similar to this, give me a call and I will be happy to help. It will not be any lower that what I am offering here unfortunately, as I really make nearly nothing on these, but I do enjoy helping the FF5 builders as much as I can, so in this case it is not that big of a deal for me. I just want to make sure that what I send to everyone is going to have the correct fitment.

As to availability, shipments from Quaife run every two weeks, so yeah I would guess that we are looking at about 4-5 weeks from the date of order. This will perhaps get a bit better. We will see.

I did receive a email today from Quaife, but the information was incomplete so I am requesting more clarification, which hopefully will arrive here soon.

Thanks for posting the comments, please keep them coming. Again, I think it is more important that everyone gets the correct information, regardless of the source, and I appreciate the help.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, I'm 99.9% sure the 01 forward model will work for me. Confirmation from Quaife would be great, but you can pretty much count me in for this buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me know what you find out on these. I'm interested in the Quaife right now but my donor will be a 2005 USDM WRX. Obviously I'd like to avoid changing axles, but I would like to have definitive confirmation on what Quaife part # should be used and for which year/model of transmission and if any years require swapping of axles between male/female.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm might be in too for 725, if it will work with the 05 male axles. For that price it will be cool to experiment with

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay everyone,

I finally have some answers, and in the best possible ways. Whether you have male or female axles I have a differential for you now. These will need to be installed by someone who knows what they are doing, but either of them will indeed fit.

How many people do I have for the Male Axle and how many for the Female?

Glad I was able to get this worked out. Give me a call with any questions or feel free to ask away here.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Did you find out what the lead time was?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just called Erik and I'm in for the 05-07.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes lead time is going to be 4 to 6 weeks from the date of order. This could be a bit quicker, but is a safe time frame for me to quote. Shipping expense on either of these differentials will be $35.00 provided that ground shipping is okay for you. I currently have one order already placed, and would like to see at least two more before I place my order, but if I have to I will order as needed.

I will also keep everyone up to date with the time that the order was placed as well as the expected date of arrival, as more information is given to me.

Please let me know if you have any questions that I can be of help with. Also, please keep in mind that some of the information on the Quaife Site is not completely accurate when it comes to the years that these differentials will fit. All I really need to know is what type of axle you are going to use and that will determine the differential you will be in need of.

Happy to help, and I appreciate your patience while I was confirming the fitment of these differentials.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, so I have edit my original post here so as to take care of some of the confusion with regard to which differential you will need. I hope that this makes a bit more sense.

Quaife was nice enough to send me the dimensional drawings for both of these differentials, which has allowed me to confirm positively that these differentials will fit correctly.

I hope that this is helpful.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I'm even more confused. Quaife's website says that the QDH3Y is for an STi and the QDH1Y is for a 93-00 Legacy. Dimensions are almost identical with the QDH1Y having a narrower body with longer bearing spigots, but the same overall width. Fitments from other websites (example here) suggest that the QDH1Y fits 2002-2005 WRX, but QDH3Y does not.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jaime,

I have the drawings as well. This is what I used to determine that these differentials will indeed install and work correctly. The overall width is the same, 164mm, there are only two dimensions which change between these two differentials, and these are both within spec for installation. The changes between the differentials are made up by the width of the setup shims, and use of the correct bearings, it is not an issue. Give me a call with any questions and I will be happy to explain in more detail if you would like.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone
    Last edited by The Race Line; 02-06-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great. As long as the kit comes with the shims and either works with the current bearings or comes with the right ones, I'm in for the QDH3Y. I don't care about male/female axles because I have a pair of each sitting in my garage.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Shims and bearings between these two differential are the same. No changes, but your mechanic may need to add or subtract shims as needed during setup, which is normal.

Give me a call when you have time Jaime.

Erik

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The bearing distance, spigot length and bearing to ring gear distance are all different
    with a longer spigot length, what keeps the bearing in the right place?

http://quaife.co.uk/sites/default/fi...ings/QDH3Y.pdf
    http://quaife.co.uk/sites/default/fi...ings/QDH1Y.pdf

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Longislandwrx,

Give me a call and I can explain this better to you. Here is the long and the short of it here everyone. If you have a GDA gearbox and you have male axles, then the QDH3Y is what you want. If you have a GDA gearbox with female axles, (ie you need the half-shafts) then the QDH1Y is what you want. It is as simple as this. There is no need to make this any harder, or more confusing than this.

After doing more research on this installation is even easier than I first thought. There are not shims to worry about on these. The Bearing races screw in and out to adjust the pre-load against the bearings instead of using shims. There is a fair degree of adjustment here, which more than compensates for the difference between these two differentials.

I wish all gearboxes were this easy to set up. So I hope that this helps to put everyone at ease and please do not hesitate to contact me with any additional questions directly.

Happy to help,

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

Post Thanks / Like
    To put some more people at ease hopefully, I got this response directly from Quaife UK when I asked what part # would fit the 2005 Impreza WRX 5MT w/ male axles:

"Thank you very much for your enquiry, the QDH3Y is the correct differential for your car, it is correct however, that you will have to shim the differential to set up the correct backlash on the crownwheel and pinion."

I believe any competent shop would have experience in installing a differential properly and knowing to check tolerances for the correct backlash, etc.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay,

Thanks for posting your reply from Quaife. Much appreciated. So I have a couple who have gotten in on this and will be waiting until Monday to place the order, so if you want to get in on the first batch of these please get in touch today or over the weekend. I should be around pretty much anytime.

Happy to help,

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Race Line View Post
    After doing more research on this installation is even easier than I first thought. There are not shims to worry about on these. The Bearing races screw in and out to adjust the pre-load against the bearings instead of using shims. There is a fair degree of adjustment here, which more than compensates for the difference between these two differentials.
    This really helps me out. I knew about the adjusters and when I heard about shim based solutions, I was concerned that the adjusters wouldn't have enough adjustment range.

My draw to a kit car is the whole "I did this" factor. I plan on doing everything that I can myself. Transmission work is a stretch for me, but I plan on trying this and would like the confidence that I at least have all the right parts. I've put big-bore kits and cams in motorcycles before (got 199HP to the rear wheel out of one of them), so I think I'll be OK. If I get stuck, I'll hire a pro to finish it. Worst case is I blow up the transmission and buy another used one for $500.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there everyone,

So the first batch of differentials were just ordered. Thank you all for your business. I will continue to keep everyone posted here on the progress.

So Starting Batch II I guess. Let me know who is in and we will start putting this one together for everyone as well.

Best Regards, and happy building to all.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Erik,

I am interested in getting the QDH3Y for Batch II. Thank you.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thumper, happy to help you with this. Give me a call when you have time and I will be happy to get your information.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I missed out on the first Group Buy. I didn't even see this thread. Doing anymore? Looking for a female QDH3Y to accept male axles.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there Rasmus,

Yes I am still doing these. I have starting the second batch right now. Give me a call when you have time and I will be happy to get you taken care of.

Happy to help,

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone