BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Seat preference?

Post Thanks / Like

Seat preference?

I am having second thoughts about my choice of seats. I have the Kirky high backed seats that work very well in my car but I have to be honest with myself and the fact is this car is going to see a lot more street time than track time. I'm thinking the low back seats would give me a better view out the back for safer driving in traffic.
    I would like to know what other folks think?????

Thanks,
    Bob

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,

I switched from the Kirkey high-back seats to Kirkey Vintage low-back seats, about 2 years ago. These seats really open up the interior of the car and give a feel of increased roominess. The side bolsters on the Vintage seats still give plenty of support on the racetrack and yes, you do have much better visibility to the back of the car. The Vintage seats also offer a more "period correct" appearance, FWIW. I am quite happy with the change to the Vintage seats.

Garry

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't give up the safety of a high back seat. There are some smaller high back seats - without the shoulder wings - that are a lot more comfortable than the Kirkey's. Consider something simple like the Cobra Clubman.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I really want these. But man are they expensive!

https://www.cobraseats-usa.com/historic/fia+historic

[/url]FIA_Historic.jpg
    Last edited by CobraKai; 02-04-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went from low backs to high backs a few months ago. I don't notice a difference in rearward visibility; the only thing I could see over my shoulder was the inside of the C pillar.

It's actually a little easier to lever myself out of the seat with the high backs. The seat pad feels a little thin on the bottom. I will be experimenting with adding a little bit more foam.

I made the change because I wanted some rear impact protection for my neck and head.
    Coupe #497 delivered 7/29/10. Engine in on 10/1/10. Pushcart on 10/4/10. First start on 12/01/10. First go-cart on 12/31/10. Finished and on the road as of February 2012.
    Coupe Body Buck Plans - My Spray Booth - Painting Lessons Learned
    Build site: www.bamacoupe.blogspot.com
    Lots of build photos and some observations: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53614858@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DARKPT View Post
    I went from low backs to high backs a few months ago. I don't notice a difference in rearward visibility; the only thing I could see over my shoulder was the inside of the C pillar.

It's actually a little easier to lever myself out of the seat with the high backs. The seat pad feels a little thin on the bottom. I will be experimenting with adding a little bit more foam.

I made the change because I wanted some rear impact protection for my neck and head.
    I did consider the high backs for more protection for head and neck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the low back seats and made A headrest that bolts to the back and it work's fine. as far as seat padding, one day I grabbed the jell pad for my motorcycle and dropped it in and HAY this aint bad.
    Chaz...

Post Thanks / Like
    Two thoughts.
    1) Corbeau makes a great looking high back seat and at much less cost. I have the Corbeau Forza models. Looks as good as the Cobra models. I know John Dol purchased red Forza's which compliment his red frame very nicely. I purchased mine from Tony D Branda Mustang at quite a reduced cost.
    2) For seat comfort try temporpedic office chair pads at about $89 for bottoms and I think the same for backrests.
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Post Thanks / Like
    Send me a pm if you decide to sel your high backs. I have a set of low backs I would like to sell.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the head rest of the high back seats is an important safety feature. SO, if you go low backs, figure a way to install headrests. Here is another option from kirkey
    https://www.kirkeyracing.com/categor...o-Street-Drag-
    If you look at the 'shop drawings' for this, the low back, and the intermediate roadrace, you will notice that the bottom 3/4 or so of all three are near identical. The drag seat adds a headrest to the low back and the roadrace adds shoulder wings to the drag seat.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I think the head rest of the high back seats is an important safety feature. SO, if you go low backs, figure a way to install headrests. Here is another option from kirkey
    https://www.kirkeyracing.com/categor...o-Street-Drag-
    If you look at the 'shop drawings' for this, the low back, and the intermediate roadrace, you will notice that the bottom 3/4 or so of all three are near identical. The drag seat adds a headrest to the low back and the roadrace adds shoulder wings to the drag seat.
    CraigS, Thank you for the ideas. I think I need to wait for better weather and just get out and try what I have. I'm thinking I have a bad case of cabin fever and I've just been searching for some way to cure it.......