Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  31

Thread: Frank's 818R build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Awesome Frank, big congrats!! Looking forward to video.

What broke?
    Here's a video clip of it. I only had the GoPro on during this session and it's when I had the issue that made me go home. A rundown of the day:

The good:
    I had a ton of fun and OH MY is this thing fast. All I did was pass people all day. It's like playing Forza on "easy" difficulty. It's much more stable with its current alignment and the power is much better/smoother than before. The dyno'ing went very well and the alignment went alright. We got left to right balance with -3.5* caster and -1.5* camber. I wanted more oh both but that's all she had in her. Had to borrow from caster to get camber.

I ran with no rear deck lid as my new intake (Chad style, kind of) won't allow it and the AAIC doesn't get good airflow. Once I go AWIC I will modify the deck lid to fit. Till then, less aero and more cooling.

By the end of my day (I did 4 of the 7 sessions) I had great looking logs (no big timing pulls, steady boost, great IATs and coolant temps steadily in the 120-135 range while moving (more like 150-160 while stationary). I run coolant fans off of a switch so they're always on while I'm at the track (and even after I shut it off for a minute or two).

The bad:
    I had a nut back off on the shifter cable (dunno why), so I did a session mostly in third gear. STILL was passing people even losing so much ground on the straight.

I had a bit of tire rub pic will go here) on my front left fender so I trimmed it a little but will have to take it down more later. Nothing too bad, just beat the tire up a little bit. Only had a leatherman (no dremmel or sandpaper) so I trimmed by hand :lol:

I had a bubble in the coolant that I caught early and worked out quickly.

I have NO confidence in that shifter, as you can see in the video. I really hate that thing and will try to get the new one working as soon as I can. I have to shift very slowly and deliberately- and then double check if I'm actually in a gear- if it's got left/right motion to it (i.e. not 3rd and 4th gear). It sucks and it really throws me off mentally and line-wise.

The ugly:
    In the above video's session I kept feeling the car pull left seemingly out of nowhere. I thought it was suspension bind or a loose joint while driving. Came off track for it a bit early because it was getting worse and saw a cloud of smoke behind me. I turned the engine off and pulled it into the pit and immediately saw it was the brakes and the axle boot's grease. I believe the axle boot was popped off when the brake seized, or maybe ripped/burned through. pic here Either way it was clear that the brake was done. Rather than push my luck and run to the parts store and try to replace it on the fly then get back out there, I decided to go home. I had more fun in the 4 session I drove than anyone else did in their 7, I'm pretty sure. Boy did it suck to push that onto the trailer and around the garage with a stuck brake!
    UPDATE- NOT A STUCK BRAKE. BEARING FAILURE

Author's notes:
    I have been riding the bike for 7 track days now and kept getting told how I'll never want to go back to the car by a bunch of guys there. I took 3 of them for a ride today and all 3 were shocked at how fast the car was and how late I could brake. I also am SURE that my car is more fun than my bike. I couldn't be happier with this car right now, even though I drove my 93's pickup truck with a 6 cylinder (SO SLOW) for 12-13 hours this weekend just to get an hour on track with it.
    Last edited by Pearldrummer7; 06-27-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the K-Tuned shifter is a big POS what a joke for a shifter, give me a direct linkage shifter over these cable POS shifters any day.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress