Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bostic 1100 Urethane

Post Thanks / Like

Bostic 1100 Urethane

Has anybody used Bostic 1100 Fast Set Urethane (instead of silicone) to mount/seal their aluminum panels? Just wondering if it would be any better regarding the adhesion of any bed liner product applied to those panels? Reference: Walt's previous post on his Bed Liner Problem.

Rod (not a chemist)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RdstrRod View Post
    Has anybody used Bostic 1100 Fast Set Urethane (instead of silicone) to mount/seal their aluminum panels? Just wondering if it would be any better regarding the adhesion of any bed liner product applied to those panels? Reference: Walt's previous post on his Bed Liner Problem.

Rod (not a chemist)
    Hi Rob,
    I started with silicone and almost immediately realized the shortcomings with it and switched to Bostik 1100fs. I've used gray or black Bostik on just about every panel joint on my build and it's terrific stuff. As easy to use as silicone and no nasty smell. It cures to a hard rubber consistency and has an impressive bond. It's nice and thick so you can build fillets in key areas. Paints or bedliners adhere to it without issue. Only down side is it has kind of a short shelf life at 9 months so don't buy too much at once. At least at the end of its life it just hardens to rubber in the tube instead of letting you find out it won't cure after you apply it. Oh don't use denatured alcohol to clean while you're applying it as it'll stop the Bostik from curing. I found mineral spirits does a good job without causing problems. Acetone might also work but since it attacks powder coating I never bothered testing it.

Hope that helps.

Mario

Post Thanks / Like
    Acetone might also work but since it attacks powder coating I never bothered testing it.
    Didn't know that. We used powder coat on military products and had it tested at independent labs for deterioration from all kinds of chemicals including bleach, diesel, hydraulic, and brake fluids. It Passed with flying colors. About the only comments were cosmetic changes like small gloss change or a slight fade in color. The chemicals were in contact with the powder coat for 24 hours except for diesel, it was a seven day contact.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    Didn't know that. We used powder coat on military products and had it tested at independent labs for deterioration from all kinds of chemicals including bleach, diesel, hydraulic, and brake fluids. It Passed with flying colors. About the only comments were cosmetic changes like small gloss change or a slight fade in color. The chemicals were in contact with the powder coat for 24 hours except for diesel, it was a seven day contact.
    Well to be honest I never tested it with the FFR powder coating but I had a powder coated part for another car get that milky discoloration when I used acetone to clean a sticker off of it. At this point I'm just very careful with acetone.

Mario