Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Headlight turn signal problem

Post Thanks / Like

Headlight turn signal problem

Hi everybody,

I am building a '33 Hot Rod (and next will be a 818).
    But I have a problem with my turn signal....

Are the turn signals supposed to work while the headlights are on? I can't get mine to work.

So when the headlights are off than the turn signal & hazard lights work, but when i put the lights (and running lights on) then the turn signals won't work in the front.....
    (at the rear they work)

If anybody could help me that would be great, thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Hope this helps?

Below is an excerpt from a previous post that someone posted. I'm not sure if this is your problem or not, but my turn signals did weird things until I cut the two wires mentioned, then everything worked perfectly. Thank you to the original author as you saved me and probably many others a lot of time figuring this one out.

I ran into an issue with revised 33 harness made after 3/30/12. The front signal
    lights will light when the brake is depressed. The build manual I received says
    (pg. 179) that you will not have to modify the steering column connections as
    this has been taken care of on the newer harness. The schematic that is in the
    manual is for the coupe, which ran a dedicated brake circuit, and doesn't show
    the brake circuit going through the signal switch as it does on the 33. You have
    to cut off the WHITE wire (marked right rear turn) that is crimped with the 2
    light blue wires from the right signal light dash indicator plug. You must then
    cut off the YELLOW wire (marked left front turn) that is crimped together with 2
    green wires from the left signal light dash indicator plug. Otherwise these 2
    wires will back feed through the signal switch and the front signals will light
    when brake is applied. Everything will work properly after this is done. I
    realize this may have been covered elsewhere, but it is a head scratcher and I
    haven't seen it addressed elsewhere. (I wasted a few hours figuring this

Hope this isn't too long winded: In the coupe harness the power from the brake
    switch goes directly to the rear brake lights (purple wire). this is a
    designated brake circuit with separate bulbs for brake voltage only (eliminated
    on the 33). The 33 runs integrated rear lights for brake/signal/running
    functions. To do this requires running the power from the brake switch through
    the steering column signal light switch. When the brake is actuated the current
    goes through the brake switch and signal switch to the brake lights, however
    with a signal actuation the power is cut from that brake light circuit and now
    comes from the signal flasher circuit, flashing the brake/signal light (the
    other brake light remains lit). The problem with the front signal coming on with
    the brakes is that the power from the dash mounted signal indicator lights has
    the YELLOW and 2 green wires and the WHITE and 2 blue wires crimped together,
    this ultimately ties the front and rear signals together, which is OK for
    signals but not for brakes.(this makes all signal circuits hot when brake is
    depressed as it is back fed from the connections at the 2 crimps.
    I believe this wiring has been left behind from the coupe wiring and must be a
    problem with anyone with a newer style harness(3/30/12). My kit is
    #449,delivered mid Sept 2012.
    You can Email Dan Golub at tech@factoryfive for the latest schematic, I have
    Emailed him and he should be aware of this problem. (It's still vague even with
    new wiring schematic as this connection is not shown)

PS you can now use the 2 unused purple brake wires to power a set of back up
    lights

Yes that is correct. I don't know if you have the earlier harness or not, but on
    the newer revised harness you don't have to connect any wires to anything as I
    believe it's been taken care of by the revision (they don't tell you this in the
    manual, just the section about the column plug wiring). Yes use the blue and
    green wires to power the signal indicator lights in the dash. All you have to do
    on the revised harness is to cut off the YELLOW and WHITE wires and seal off the
    ends. The earlier harness requires you to do what you described in your post
    which is covered in the manual. When this problem first appeared I started
    doubting myself, figuring I'd hooked up something incorrectly, (and being as all
    the signal lights are LEDs and require very little amperage, poor grounds really
    become an issue). But this is a problem that I believe everyone will have as
    it's designed in. It's just a little confusing

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Freak View Post
    Hi everybody,

I am building a '33 Hot Rod (and next will be a 818).
    But I have a problem with my turn signal....

Are the turn signals supposed to work while the headlights are on? I can't get mine to work.

So when the headlights are off than the turn signal & hazard lights work, but when i put the lights (and running lights on) then the turn signals won't work in the front.....
    (at the rear they work)

If anybody could help me that would be great, thanks in advance